Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about carbonated drinks

I didn't know where else to post this question & I really want to know...has anyone tried to drink a soda since they have had the sleeve surgery? I think that's the part that's bothering me the most...is worrying that after my surgery I won't be able to drink my Diet Dr. Peppers!

Just curious to know if you really have to completely stop them after the sleeve! Someone out there certainly has tried, so please share your comments! Thanks!

:thumbup:

I'm 5 days post op... I would LOVE to have a diet coke, but trust me, there is absolutely NO WAY that I would want the carbonation in my stomach... it would be incredibly painful. Currently dealing with drinking too large sips of liquid alone is a challenge.. You'll be okay, but be prepared to give it up. Hang in there!

It's not impossible to drink soda, just not a habit you'll want to continue. There's not enough room for the bubbles and it causes immediate burping. I have a sip every once in a while, but I would never order a whole soda for myself. Now I drink Water, iced tea, crystal light, coffee and don't miss the soda too much. And I was a Diet Pepsi addict for 30 years! I think when you give up the beverages with meals, it's easier to give up the soda.

Here's my standard reply to this question: Plus you can read others opinion on carbonation.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/food-nutrition/7560-carbonation.html

It doesn't even apply to the band. There are tons of band and RNY patients that drink soda, carbonated drinks without issue.

I drink soda, rum/cokes when out with the girls, and have zero issues. It hasn't stretched my sleeve, and I've been drinking soda since I hit goal nearly 7 months ago. My stomach holds the same amount of food, and I was scoped at 8 months out, my sleeve is tight, slim, and perfect. Soda is a liquid just like Water, tea, coffee, it goes in, hits the pyloric valve and empties into the intestines. If all other liquids do this, why would soda sit in there and hang out? That's my surgeon's and many other surgeon's opinion. This subject is just about as controversial as the WLS patients should never eat rice or Pasta for the rest of their lives.

Sodas are empty calories, it does leach the Calcium out of our bones, it's a lot of sodium if you drink too many, and it's not recommended for the weight loss phase. Moderation is key, I have a couple sodas a week. If I'm out at the bar, tying one on, I have umm several, and I think the rum is probably more detrimental than the stinkin' Coca Cola.

Here's another thread on carbonated drinks:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/post-operation-vertical-sleeve-gastric-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/7275-sodas-what-deal.html

I'm sure I'll get scolded in some form or fashion, but I drink 2-3 cokes a day and I'm about 3 weeks out. If you care about weight loss it's not the best idea to do so. I decided I would rather drink coke than lose a few pounds here or there. I do think it comes down to what hurts or doesn't though for you personally.

I drink a soda here and there, not much and they have to be diet. . . but i stir the heck out of mine til they are flat and then enjoy it. . . not the same, but does the trick! Good luck

When I attended the seminar for the surgery, we had that question come up. Dr. Gibbs said that even he understands needing a diet coke fix. He said the best way to do it and it will still taste good, open the top or pop it open whichever and let it sit for about two hours before you pour it up, that will rid alot of the carbonation out of it. I don't like diet drinks, so I will probably stick with Water and flavored water, but I do know folks that have done as he suggested and say it tastes just fine and no pain from the carbonation, but he said, don't over do it either.

When I attended the seminar for the surgery, we had that question come up. Dr. Gibbs said that even he understands needing a diet coke fix. He said the best way to do it and it will still taste good, open the top or pop it open whichever and let it sit for about two hours before you pour it up, that will rid alot of the carbonation out of it. I don't like diet drinks, so I will probably stick with Water and flavored water, but I do know folks that have done as he suggested and say it tastes just fine and no pain from the carbonation, but he said, don't over do it either.

That's good to know. I've been wanting a ice cold diet Dr. Pepper. I probably still will not have one until I'm on maintenance.

Deb

Before my VSG Pepsi was my coffee or drug of choice. =) I had to have it first thing or I couldn't function. Last night was the first time after my surgery I tried a sip and it was nasty.

I've missed diet coke since the surgery, but I'm staying away from it for as long as possible. There's really nothing good about pop. If it's non-diet, you are just putting a bunch of sugar and chemicals in your body - you're better off having juice, at least it has Vitamins and antioxidants. If it's diet - you've probably heard about the study that exhibited kidney damage in women who had 2 or more cans a day. Both types are high in acid and cause tooth enamel erosion - I started having dental pain weeks after developing a 2-3 cans a day Diet Coke habit during my work for the ambulance.

So it's not good for you even if you have a normal stomach, and then you add all the sleeve-related issues like distention, burping, etc, and there's a lot to gain (pun intended) from avoiding the stuff.

I admit that I drink it. Started in April ~ 3 months out from surgery. It's my one "vice" and it hasn't been a problem.

If I drink from a can or plastic bottle, there is more carbonation & it lasts quite a while. Fountain drinks? Well, they just go right down.

I do stick to diet though & non-caffeine when I can - just no point putting calories or caffeine to make me need to add more Water for hydration.

That being said ... everyone should follow their surgeon's guidelines. Just because I do it, doesn't mean you should. You know?

Only with vodka!

Getting off my diet coke addiction was the best thing I've ever done. At one point in my life, I was consuming 2 2-liters a day of that crap. Then I finally weened myself off of it one cup at a time until it was totally gone.

No more searching for diet coke in the morning, being embarrassed at purchasing 10 2-liters at the Walmart line, that was way too many chemicals for my body. Plus it just made me more hungry.

Only with vodka, or a fountain drink occasionally. Otherwise add lots of ice and let it dilute and go flat a little.