Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a really bad day

Maybe it's a newbie thing (I'm about 3 weeks out now) but I am having the worst "mental day" ever. Physically, everything about my surgery has been perfect: no nausea, no complications, I love Protein shakes, my tastes didn't change post-op, incisions healed quickly. I'm losing slowly (Week one and two at 5 lbs a week; week 3 at 2-3 lbs). My physical energy level is fine (but I don't feel like doing anything--no motivation).

Today was the worst. I feel like I'm not losing fast enough, I'm not going to lose fast enough or maybe at all, I won't reach goals--all kinds of negativity. I am in a bad mood about having to go to the grocery store and cook--which is weird because I'm normally quite the foodie. At the same time I am obsessed with thinking about the surgery and what to eat, or rather planning what to eat and tracking it, trying to be the perfect patient.

My mood is negative, resigned, unmotivated, and, in a weird way hopeless--I don't believe all this weight is ever going to come off. I have bright moments, but them they pass. I'm just finishing mushies and going to soft foods and I'm having gas/constipation issues for the first time, which makes me afraid that I'm not going to lose, or lose as fast. I know it's not a race but I can't help feeling like that.

Sorry to sound like such a sad sack, but there it is.

Donna, vent away, we're here for you ! ! !

It's not out of the ordinary to have a down day. The best thing in the world is that tomorrow is a new day for you.

I just noticed you are in Minot, and that is the one place a lot of guys that are stationed down here get shipped to after their assignments here are over. It's so cold up there ! ! ! But, I have been told it's a great place for families.

Hang in there, you're doing great, you will make your goals. If it will help, set some small goals, and then build them as you move forward.

Donna - Your doing great.. The first 4 weeks are the hardest physically and emotionally. Everything your going through is normal. Keep your head up.

My worst day was yesterday. And let me tell you....the people on this board will help you tremendously.

I'm a newbie too. July 19th was my date.

All I can say is yesterday was my worst day, and today was one of the best days.

You will go through every emotion possible. But please know that we are all going through the same thing.

Stay strong....

Maybe looking at some of the before and after pictures will make you feel better. There are a lot of people who lost 100 lbs in a short time. It's not going to happen overnight, but you're going to lose the weight! The sleeve is an amazing tool.

I am glad you feel better. I have to say my emotions were all over the place - too many to describe. But it levels out eventually...it took me a few months to feel totally myself again. But it gets better each day, week, month. Hang in there.

I remeber going to ObesityHelp and mousing over their before and after pictures in a most obsessive way, to get my motivation going. It seems such a long time ago now, but it was only last year. Stay strong and just wait out the weight loss.

Jane x

Thanks everybody. I felt 100% better today. It's funny how fast moods can change.

Glad you are doing better. I remember that first month - boy, was it tough! Emotions ran all over the place. You are healing & your body is reacting. It will get better. Press on & lean on us for support.

MINI-Me, I'm gald your feeling better. I am set for Sept. 3. Can anyone offer any advice or expectants? I have read a lot of different feelings on the sleeve. I just don't want to do it and end up not losing anything. All the help is appreciated.

Thank you for posting Donna!

I too have been feeling a bit down since my surgery. I can't say I'm totally negative or highly depressed. It's just that I'm normally a smiling, laughing, happy, person. And lately I've just been neutral. I don't feel like laughing (or crying). I'm sure it will pass. I had another surgical procedure (unrelated to weight loss) in April and I think the combination was a bit more than my bode can handle at once.

Yesterday on another post I mentioned that food doesn't taste good and that I really don't care if I eat or not, I don't get any satisfaction/enjoyment from it. But your post made me stop and realize that it's not just about food. Nothing is particularly appealing to me to do.

I've lost 22 lbs since my surgery. But nothing in the last week. My head knows that's okay, but still I'm discouraged. YET prior to my surgery I wanted to maintain the exact weight I'm at right now. Go figure.

I am 3 months post op and remember the exact same emotions. To date I have lost 37.6 pounds. It comes off 1-2 pounds a week. At first, that was depressing to me, now, I love the rate I am losing. It is slow and gradual. I am not one that likes alot of attention so this works great for me, it is not so drastic that people's jaws are dropping. They are noticing that I am looking better and that is fine with me! I am looking better because I am feeling better and I am dressing better.

This is the best decision I have ever made for myself. I can tell you that it took me almost 10 weeks to get my energy back and that was really hard being a single mom with 3 little ones.

I too obsessed over looking at before and after pics, that was motivation for me. I log my food everyday and I weigh everyday, some say that is bad but it is up to you how you want to manage your new tool.

The adjustment to a new way of eating was hard but with this tool, it is pretty hard to fail.

Just believe in yourself and the gift you have been given! Take it one day at a time. I still can't believe it has been 3 months, the time has flown!

The "surprise" for me in this was that I didn't go through this when I was banded. I was excited and everyday was better than the day before, physically and emotionally. Well, until my hiatal hernia began causing issues about a year ago. That issue only arose in the wee hours in for form of severe reflux. During the day I was just fine. Even gaining weight when my band had to be unfilled didn't cause me to feel the "blahs" I've been experiencing since this surgery.

As much as I wish no one else was having this issue, it's comforting to know I'm not alone and of course, I have no doubt it will get better with time.

OMG.... I am feeling a little down in the dumps this week myself but I kinda have my finger on whats really going on with me. its been a real hard 3 weeks for me .... I broke my hand 6 weeks ago and then a mosquito bite got infected and shut me down because of extreme pain and swelling in my leg /ankle.. the Dr put me on bed rest to elevate my leg... WHEW !!! Its been hard because I could not exercise like I was doing before all this mess. I stll was able to loose weight . Not much but I lost instead of gain.. Some weeks it stayed the same... Well I am healed (almost) so I am trying hard today to motivate myself and get moving .. I must swim or walk today. I must exercise to get the full benefit of the sleeve. some of you have said that you did not have to exercise , but for me , I have to . I don't want my skin to hang ... I want to look amazing ... (with muscles) Oh yeah , I was able to buy a cute swimsuit last weekend that I can honesty say "it fits very well" lol ..... I am going through an emotional rollercoaster this week and I must get focused on my journey ... Thanks everyone for all your post and advice ... it reallly does help.