Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and scared I'm going to cancel and bolt

OK I've been moving around the site reading and reading and I just read something I have another question about. I read something by 2 different people about having their drain removed? What is that? this was the first I heard about it.

Some surgeons place a drain tube in your abdominal cavity to remove excess fluids after surgery. My surgeon did not do this. Some have it & have very little drainage & others seem to have quite a bit. Just talk with your surgeon and see what he does. Ask questions until you are comfortable with the answers.

At almost 6 months out, it is hard to remember the anxiety of getting the sleeve. I am truely happy with my decision. I love the new me & my ability to eat just about anything I want (not that it's always a great choice - I'm still working on that!) but just a small portion. Tonight I had 2 bites of birthday cake & it was enough. Before, I would have eaten a whole piece and wanted more.

But, if I am honest, I remember the anxiety and the questions. I did my research and asked TONS of questions. My husband was concerned about the permanence of the surgery, but knew that I had done my research and fully supported me. Was he worried - of course! This is major surgery. Was he confident that this was the right decision for me - of course!

Not that it's all about looks - it's really about being healthy ... but today, I was wearing a cute dress & driving in the car in the heat. I had my dress pulled up about mid-thigh since I was warm. My husband kept glancing over & grinning. When I asked what was up, he just said "You look so good. Cute, happy, and adorable". It just confirmed that I made the right choice.

Like I said, ask questions of your surgeon, ask questions of us, do your research ... and have your surgery. There are tough moments, yes. But overall, I would do this again in a heartbeat. But, luckily, this is permanent so there is no need to go back to the old me. I wouldn't want to be her again!

No, once you're healed, you're healed. Believe me, living with a band is a nightmare. Living with a sleeve is effortless. I had all those things, choking in my sleep and having to sleep sitting up, until I decided to get rid of that miserable band. It was the best thing I ever did.

Now, I eat anything I want. ANYTHING! I can't eat huge portions, but I am very satisfied

with the amount I eat. I love the sleeve, and wish I had gotten it years go.

I understand your concerns. I had the band and even before it slipped I was miserable but I just ignored the awful food stuck incidents and the sliming because it was working. I hated how eating felt, like there was food at the top of my stomach where it wasnt supposed to be. I never actually felt full unless I ate enough to fill up my stomach under the band. My throat hurt and sometimes the heartburn was so bad I'd have to pull the car over and cry. At that point I was glad it was reversable. Fast forward 7 months to when the insurance finally agreed to remove the band. I start gaining back my weight until I'm right back where I started almost 4 years ago. And I'm thinking I sure hope the sleeve works and is permanent.

I've been sleeved for a little over 6 weeks. It's just night and day. This is how I thought the band would be but way better. I don't get hungry, I just get empty enough that I know I need to eat. I eat small portions and stop eating when I'm full or when it doesn't taste good any more. I'm still learning not to eat too much. I had esophageal dilation so I worry about food filling up above my sleeve. A couple weeks ago I ate a little too much, it didn't hurt I just felt like I used to after Thanksgiving - uncomfortable. And it occurred to me that this is permanent. Small portions and making sure I don't feel uncomfortable is how it'll be for the rest of my life and that's really just fine with me. I'm learning how to find things to enjoy besides food - eating as entertainment just isn't possible now. And that's a good thing.

I hated waiting for the year+ that it took to finally get a revision but it gave me time to read and research. I'm very happy with the sleeve. It's what I thought it would be with even fewer complications - no nausea, no pain, no hunger and a nice sense of satiety with very little food. I'm glad it's permanent.

hi tiffykins :001_smile: i'm getting sleeved october o1 !do you have a portfolio i can see......when were you sleeved? I'm having my gall bladder removed and hernia repaired at same time...please tell me about the first three days...........i'm scared and just really want to know what to expect.........thanks :0

Brittu: I just read your wonderful post :001_smile: i start my liquid fast in two days and surgery is in 8 days........but whose counting?? Can you please tell me wha to expect the first three days?? And after.......i'm scared :blushing: i'm getting my gall bladder removed and hernia repaired at the same time....do you know any stories about this??? Thanks so much!! Trying to breathe...........and relax ugh!!

Really you have nothing to worry about. Some people are uncomfortable for the first few days, but I have hardly ever read where people were in pain.

As far as living with the sleeve, I really feel like I eat pretty normally now. I can eat half a sandwich. I just had company for 3 days and they had no clue that I had WLS. I ate what everyone else ate, just smaller portions than they did, but I am a much smaller person now so it didn't seem weird to anyone.