Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all (TGVP) people!!! new procedure

Hello I had my GPS wed the 21st in TJ by Dr Rodriquez and I think a panel of DRs. The 2nd day was my worst day I slept most of the day , I have been on the go since 3rd day post op, nobody can believe I just had major surgery. i allready have so much more energy and feel great My clothes are getting loose im down 20 LBS from pre diet and post diet.

My experience in TJ was awesome, My DRS and Nurses treated me very well I have nothing but good to say. Dr Rodriques saw me going to get my post op X ray and gave me a big hug , 2 Drs came to my motel at 10:30pm day 2 post op just to check on me and make sure I was taking my meds, they thanked me for trusting them. My anisthiesioloigist held my hand pre surgery she could tell I was nervous, All the belight staff (Patient facilitators)were great, My personal one that I had first contact with was very sweet and helpful, a little absent minded, but all the others I had contact with were awesome and very knowledgble.the hospital INT was modest but sufficient. My driver Roberto was a kick kept life interesting almost feel like he is a bud................... so my experience gets a 9 3/4 out of 10

Welcome Ellen. Here's a big WOOHOO! on your 20 pound weight loss. Joanie

Congrats and welcome to the club. We all hope to hear many success stories from you and hope you share your journey with us. Welcome!

Becca

Sorry to whine like a baby, but I've never even broken a bone, so I've never been in the hospital myself. It sounds like surgery requires a cathiter? <FreakingOut> Thats so SO painful. Do they put that in after your asleep?

Amy,

I am not sure about each individual doctor but mine did not require a catheter. Not to say some don't but mine did not. But even if they do.....they will do it after you are a sleep and you won't even notice it. Just try to focus on the the pot of gold at the end. Mine did place a tube down my throat but again this was done after I was asleep and I didn't even realize it.

Don't feel stupid about any questions or think it's whining. We all have done this or are about to and it is a big deal. So don't worry about the questions.

Becca

Hi Becca, did they put something down your throat so they could size your stomach right? Or what was the tube for?

Also I am making a list of questions to ask the Drs, so if there is a thread or advise section that I am missing would love to know.

I have no idea if they used a catheter or not. I know they put something down my throat to help with breathing during surgery.

I never felt a thing, once they rolled me into the pre-op I was a little nervous and scared (I was there by myself) they gave me a first dose of something to calm my nerves, and then they rolled me into the ER. It was clean and sterile and staffed up. The anesthesiologist turned on the stereo and they all started jamming (I felt like I was on Scrubs for a second)....in the meantime, the anesthesiologist is giving instructions to the nurse and is starting to administer drugs to put me to sleep, he held an oxygen mask over my nose and that is the last thing I remember.

I woke up in post-op and told them to leave me alone...that I just wanted to sleep.....no nausea no vomiting, no dry heaves.

I had my proceedure with Dr. Corvala. I paid $8000 plus cost of travel to San Diego. But once I had made up my mindo to have this proceedure, the people at Angeles Hospital were on the ball, they were able to schedule me for the following week and put me on a Protein only/liquid diet to shrink the liver....

I am feeling great and getting to know my new tummy....it is hard to wrap your brain around quantities.....

Yesterday I ordered some bisque (only thing in room service that was liquids - business trip) It was also the first time since surgery I ate/drank something so rich and heavy....I ate about 1/2 cup....and felt great and pretty full, I took an extra spoonfull, and had to lay down, because I started to sweat and immediately knew I took one sip too many.....so I didn't barf, but I could finally start feeling full and what full feels like....it'll take a little time to get it all squared away, especially when if you are like me you were used to eating not only 1/2 cup but maybe 2 cups of Soup....ha!

Hi Becca, did they put something down your throat so they could size your stomach right? Or what was the tube for?

Also I am making a list of questions to ask the Drs, so if there is a thread or advise section that I am missing would love to know.

Amy,

This tube was due to I believe a couple different reasons. He first went down to look to make sure that I had no hernia's, polops or any ulcers because, I had such reflux problems. He also used this to fix my sphincter muscle between my esphogus(?) and stomach. Most people with reflux have stretched this out and he fixes this while completing the other procedure. Once he is done with my stomach he then uses this tube that has a camera to make sure everything is smoothe and done correctly before closing everything up.

I know I have seen a list of questions along the way but I don't know if there is a certain forum.

-Ask about what all is included in the price (including blood work, psych eval and sleep test) mine were included in price....specially since you are paying for it out of pocket.

-ask about the reflux and whether or not they are going to fix it while they do the procedure

-ask about the diet before and after

-ask about the risk

-pain medicine for afterwards

-all doctors should have a pre-op forms and post-op of what to expect and do

-feel totally comfortable with your doctor and trust him

-I kept making excuses for my first doctor because I wanted the surgery soooo bad that GOD had to hit me with a bat before I went to Dr. Watkins

-and read this forum from those of us who are going through it.

-Don't be afraid to ask any questions there are no stupid questions

-Ask about how many times you will see the doctor after surgery for check ups

-ask about support groups

-Therapist

-Nutrionist

I know there are more but this is what I have right now.

Becca

I live by the coast, so pretty much anyone I goto at this point, I will be traveling. (Which I am sure that is the case with most of you.) How have your offices/Drs and/or their assistants been with answering follow questions? Or are many of you going to your local doctors?

Amy, ask away. And don't worry, we were all nervous and scared before surgery and this forum has been a lifeline for me......

If we don't have an answer then at least we can give you support and then maybe someone will know the answer and we will al learn.

I live by the coast, so pretty much anyone I goto at this point, I will be traveling. (Which I am sure that is the case with most of you.) How have your offices/Drs and/or their assistants been with answering follow questions? Or are many of you going to your local doctors?

Amy,

Mine have been fantastic. I go in unannounced once a week to weigh in because I don't have a scale that goes up that high and they always welcome me and then come in and cheer me on including the doc. Now there's a support system. My local doctor doesn't even know I did this yet. I am self pay so I didn't have a letter from the doc. I continue to ask questions especially of them because this is a new surgery and I get such a welcome from them.

Becca

Congrats and welcome to the plication world. I am two weeks post op and love mine. I am glad that I went this route the first time. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how you do.

Becca