Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people did you tell about your WLS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many people did you tell about your WLS?

• Everyone who would listen...I'm happy to share
    • Family and others (>10 people)
    • Family and close others (5-10 people)
    • Family and close others (2-5 people)
    • Only one person
    • No one

Carol said, "No....I don't think so. Do you have an emotional attachment to your testicles"?

His response was, "Oh, I understand completely". Sure he does...since you put it THAT way. LOL...

Great comeback.....good for you!!! I'll have to remember that if the time ever comes. :heh:

I told my family. My best friend. I didn't want the pressure of letting everyone elses expectations for me - get in my way. It's too hard to have everyone watching your weight - your every move - and I thought, it would be much nicer to just let them see me go down, and feel good for me, instead of worry about the decision I made. Which to many people is too extreme. I wanted my better health to speak volumes about the weight I lose.

I guess you would have to know Carol! This woman will ask anything/tell anything. Her doctor advised her to have a complete hysterectomy while she was in her early 30's. She really wanted to keep her ovaries, if possible, so as not to be thrown into early, surgical menopause. The doctor asked her, "Do you have some kind of emotional attachment to your ovaries"?

Carol said, "No....I don't think so. Do you have an emotional attachment to your testicles"?

His response was, "Oh, I understand completely". Sure he does...since you put it THAT way. LOL...

Very similar to the mastectomy v. lumpectomy situation a few decades ago. While both procedures had the same survival rate, male surgeons were too quick to perform mastectomies. A female friend of mine who's biopsy was positive, could not talk Mr. Doctor into a lumpectomy, nor Mr. second opinion, so she got a female surgeon who could understand and had a lumpectomy 20 years ago.

Update: I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and I've had a hard time with weight loss. I've probably lost around 8-9 lbs since being banded. That's not much, and I feel disappointed with it. I am very glad that I can keep that disappointment to myself and not have to answer all of the "How much have you lost?" questions. So far, I'm very happy I only chose to tell a few people. Will keep you posted throughout the journey.

Mslynn

:wave:

Ms Lynn:

I know JUST how you feel. My weight loss has been less than I hoped for.

The people who know, "LOOK" at me - but I told them early on, not to say anything for a year. I go to my Dr tomorrow, first visit since the band, and am nervous about what his scale will say.

When I read some posts about people with 20-30 pounds gone in a month or 2, I feel jealous - but I'm happy for them - and it means it can happen. I need to drink more Water maybe ...

Keep going, we'll get there! < I hope I hope >

I Tell Anyone That Ask About My Weight Loss. I Can't Just Say I Did It On My Own By Watching What I Ate And Exercise. I Just Can't Lie About It. If Anyone Wants Info On It I Always Give Them What I Know And Encourage Them To Go The Way Of The Band And Not The Bypass. I Don't Go Around Advertising That I Had The Band Surgery Either, At Least Not Until I Can Get Paid For It, Haha.i Am Happy About It. At First I Wasn't Going To Tell Distant Family Members But Then I Thought Hey Why Not? If They Are Going To Judge You For The Band Then They Have Already Judged You For Being Fat... At Least This Way You Don't Have To Worry About Keeping Track Of Who You Told And Who They Told Just To Keep A Little White Lie Afloat....

Randi You Are Only About A Month Out. Give It Time. It Will Come Off It's Been Almost A Year For Me And 93lbs Slow But Sure. I Was Discouraged At First Cause It Didn't Change My Perception Of Me. 2-3 Lbs A Week Is All You Need To Do And Some Times It May Slow Down To 2-3lbs A Month Don't Give Up On Yourself. You Haven't Even Gotten Your First Fill Yet, Right? You Can Do It.

Update: I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and I've had a hard time with weight loss. I've probably lost around 8-9 lbs since being banded. That's not much, and I feel disappointed with it. I am very glad that I can keep that disappointment to myself and not have to answer all of the "How much have you lost?" questions. So far, I'm very happy I only chose to tell a few people. Will keep you posted throughout the journey.

Mslynn:wave:

If you exercise and keep the food quantity down it will start to come off. Also, as soon as you get the right fill, your weight will start to come off faster.

I had my first fill yesterday Surgery 6-13-06.Lost 19 lbs. But i can tell a difference in my eating today. befor i could eat what i thought was a lot. But not today the fill really helped. Remember one reason we took this road was because of the slower weight loss. We will take care of each other. Good luck to all.

I have not been banded yet, but I am beginning my journey. I am very nevous about telling my family. So far only my sister and my boyfriend know. They are supportive, but more worried about me going through the procedure than really supportive of making a life changing decision. My parents are pretty conservative and traditional and I am afraid they will not understand my decision and will make me feel guilty for it...:phanvan

I had my first fill yesterday Surgery 6-13-06.Lost 19 lbs. But i can tell a difference in my eating today. befor i could eat what i thought was a lot. But not today the fill really helped. Remember one reason we took this road was because of the slower weight loss. We will take care of each other. Good luck to all.
When I have fills (or de-fills), I go back to the post-op eating regiment. Clear Liquids for about 4 days, then gradually work my way back to regular foods. I am surpirsed that your doctor did not put you on that track.

I talked to my hubby at first, then my mom. I just worked up the nerve to tell my Dad today - since I'm scheduled now. He told me "just don't eat so much." He's not for it and I knew he wouldn't be - but I'm an adult and he's not living in my body. I also told one friend at work - she is the only one who was thrilled for me.

I told my little sis first (she had gastric bypass) then my kids..then 2 weeks after making the initial appt, I told my husband. (that was May and he is still not ovrejoyed with the idea). Then came Mom, cause damn I can't keep anything from that woman!! I just told the older sis this week cause when little sis was having her surgery...she was "poo-nicky" on surgery all the way. The only reason I told her was cause I now have sleep apnea and since my BIL has it I called sis to talk to her about it, and she delicately said that if I lost weight----there was my que!! (I tried to tell her 2 weeks ago...but the words were stuck...lol) The rest of my family does not know...I find it easier to tell total strangers...less judgemental! Some of my college classmates know...and they are supportive! But after banding when I am on my way back to my previous self....I will certainly tell anyone who asks!

I talked to my hubby at first, then my mom. I just worked up the nerve to tell my Dad today - since I'm scheduled now. He told me "just don't eat so much." He's not for it and I knew he wouldn't be - but I'm an adult and he's not living in my body. I also told one friend at work - she is the only one who was thrilled for me.
I am not going to quibble over whether obesity is an emotional decease or a physical decease, or for all I could care it might be a symptom of weakness.

The important thing is that for many of us, without the help (call it a crutch if you want to be mean) of a Lap Band, we can not live normal lives. I have gained almost 30 pounds since I had my band emptied because of a gastric reflux problem (I have lost 10 of those pounds back). I will be getting a (first) fill in a month or so.

On my job, I was known as one of the most dedicated workers in the department. I went 3 years without calling in sick. I went 5 years without being late. I won awards. I am married for 39 years. I quit smoking "cold turkey" over 35 years ago. I was an extremely heavy drinker who quit drinking "cold turkey" almost 15 years ago. I quit beating my wife about 25 years ago (JOKE).

I have not worked since I was 58 years old because I saved money and paid off my home. I owe nothing and have money in the bank, hopefully enough, with our SS money which should start next year for me and in three years for her, to last me and my wife until we both die. Even though I lost over half my pension to an unscrupulous company, I put enough into my 401k and IRA's to help make up for the loss. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. My step-father gave me nothing as a child. I worked two jobs when needed, but made sure my wife stayed home to take care of our son. I saved and invested. I bought a second house to rent out and did all the repairs on the house, besides working my job(s). I have self-control,

BUT I AM ALMOST POWERLESS OVER MY WEIGHT.

How can I be in such control over the rest of my life, but without any control over my eating?

I don't know. I went to 3 different shrinks. They didn't help. I tried every diet. They helped for a while, then I would regain the weight and more, sometimes much more. I have gone from 180 to 325 twice, from 210 to 290 more times than I can count.

I NEED MY LAP BAND.

Tell that to your husband or Dad or anyone else who gives you that superior than thou attitude.

I was worried about telling people, but the reaction I have gotten has been almost overwhelmingly positive. I think that my family and friends worry because we are going to Mexico, so I have heard about that one dateline episode more than I care to, but really everyone has been positive about it.

I think that it could be because I don't ever say that this band will "cure" my bad eating and then I will be perfect. I give people both the positive and negative side of it, and when they realize that I have knowledge of both, they know I have done the research.

When I first mentioned it to my mom, she asked me about 4,000,000 questions, and I could answer them, or say "i am not sure, I will call you later with the answer" and then, called her later with the answer.

Knowing that I had researched it well, made my family supportive. Now my mom is telling EVERYONE, which is normal for my family, and they are all happy for us. I think because they see how unhappy my partner and I are being stuck in our fat.