Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people did you tell about your WLS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many people did you tell about your WLS?

• Everyone who would listen...I'm happy to share
    • Family and others (>10 people)
    • Family and close others (5-10 people)
    • Family and close others (2-5 people)
    • Only one person
    • No one

I have self-control,

BUT I AM ALMOST POWERLESS OVER MY WEIGHT.

How can I be in such control over the rest of my life, but without any control over my eating?

Tired Old Man,

This is SOOO true. Like you I feel I have good control over every other aspect of my life. I have struggled for so long and always asked myself this question. I'm relatively newly banded, but I'm finding that "self-control" comes a lot easier now. This feels like a huge weight off of my shoulders. Yes, I'll still have to work (I've never been afraid of work), but I have confidence that I can do it now. This was a profound realization.

Mslynn

I told my mother and my best friend. My mother has been fantastically supportive. My best friend didn't want me to have it done. I went on holiday with her 6 weeks after being banded. It was horrible. It was like I had gone on holiday with a stranger. It's touch and go whether we will remain friends. I'm really sad, but it's my life and I don't want negative people around me at this time.

I told: LBT members, Hubby, 3 friends, and 1 co-worker. Only told the co-worker because she wanted to do it too and went to the seminar with me. As of yet, I have a band and she does not...

I thought I would share some of what I have experienced so far. I am going throught the initial paperwork and labs/sleep study. I hope to be banded by November.

I told my sister (who has always been too skinny). She said I should just not stock my refrigerator. I have a hubby and three kids. She has none. She also said that I should do a 12 step program and maybe check into a treatment program. It worked for her drug and alcohol problem. Like I can stop eating completely.:)

My sister-in-law (who is a retired nurse) freaked out. I kept having to reassure her that I am not having gastric bypass. She now hounds my husband just about every day trying to make him promise to stop me. Like he could. :guess

My girls are excited. Thank God for little kids. They think I am lovely no matter what. They got really excited when I told them I would eventually be able to fit on roller coaster rides. :P

My husband and my dad were great. They just wanted to know what it was and make sure it is safe. :biggrin1:

I have about 17 coworkers that have had the RNY. They think I won't lose as much. But one of our coworkers died last month after being on a vent for 5 months after the RNY. I am the only one I know of here that is getting banded. They are supportive but almost as clueless how to respond as anyone else. :tired

All I know is that I am so glad I found this site. When my doctor asked me what my support system was I included Lap Band Talk, my coworkers and my husband. The funny thing is I think this site is the most helpful to me. I told hubby to keep the compliments coming, and say yes when I hit him up for plastic surgery. What a guy- He said OK.:clap2:

I told only a few friends and made the mistake of telling my mother. I aked her not to tell anyone but she told several people who called me to ask me the details. I have not had my surgery yet, but I told my mother that I changed my mind about it. She is one of those people that think that i am single because I am fat.

I told only a few friends and made the mistake of telling my mother. I aked her not to tell anyone but she told several people who called me to ask me the details. I have not had my surgery yet, but I told my mother that I changed my mind about it. She is one of those people that think that i am single because I am fat.

I told my mother that she was the only one who knew and if she told I'd find out. Of course it wasn't true, but I had to make sure...she tells the oddest things and the things she can talk about she doesn't...ugh.

Sometimes you have to tell people things to throw them off the trail...sad.

I am stillworking through the process of getting a Band. The deciison has been a very personal one and is involving a lot of emotions, as you guys all know. I recently had a neighbor have the surgery, and she is friends with my next door neighbor. I made the mistake of telling the next door neighbor I was thinking about it also...after making her promise she would not tell anyone. Well, she informed me she told her husband....bu tthat was ALL. Then, about a week ago, the mother of the girl who is banded stopped me as I was walking down the street. She proceeded to ask me how my doctors appointment was.... I had no idea what the heck she was talking about. Turns out that my friend/neighbor told them that I was having the surgery!! I am none too happy, I can tell you. I am a very private person, and people on this street are HUGE RUMORMONGERS. Last thing I want are neighbors I don't even speak with watching me everytime I come and go. In fact, I haven't told anyone else except my dh, a friend who is a nurse, and another friend whose father in law is a surgeon (I wanted advice about the surgery). And, now I plan on going back and saying I have changed my mind, and lyig to my next door neighbor about where I am when I go to have the surgery..... If you can't keep your ppiehole shut, I will not tell you anything!

I still cannot believe someone would share such a personal decision without my consent.....

By the time I go to surgery, it will be only 4 people who know.

I work in Labor and Delivery and Neonatal Intensive Care units as an RN. We night nurses tend to get very big. The NICU nurses have about 12 now, L&D have about 4 and I know several though out the hospital. So I guess there are more than 17. Knowing these women and men the way I do, I know they will be watching my progress because I am going a different route. But one of my friends died having the RNY and I just can't take that kind of risk with my kids and husband. They are a great source of information and support though, so I don't mind them knowing. My family is more judgemental. Meg.

I have found out that my friends that are not heavy are much more supportive than the couple who are!!!!!! You would think that anybody over weight would be more understanding right? i have told most people the I am having my gallbladder out since the scars are almost the same and so is the recovery period. I yo-yo so much that nobody would even think i had the lap-band

I have told:

DH--great support

Mom--REALLY BAD--but is getting better

Sis--OK--just lots of questions

Best Friend--good at first--now getting worse!

Good Friends (2)--very supportive

That's all for now--I will probably tell more people AFTER I get banded and (hopefully) start losing weight!:)

My family,( husband and kids ) are very supportive but some of my other family and friends arent. I find the ones who are over weight give me the hardest time, maybe its because with me being fat it dont bother them as much, I dont know, sometimes it really hurts my feelings by what they say, like " you should think of your kids, what if somthing happens!" well hello! I have diabetes and hypertension. I could die of a stroke or have kidney failure any time! Sometimes I think people just dont get it. So I have decided not to say anything to anyone any more about my surgery, I will just come home and live my life, enjoy it, and let them wonder what happened!!

okiegirl

will be banded Sept 1st

Dr. Ortiz, TJ

I told my family and a few freinds at first ! now everyone knows, alot are supportive but some think its a easyway out of dieting but its not like that, having a lap band was a very big decision for me but was the right decision for me as i am at target now.

She also said that I should do a 12 step program and maybe check into a treatment program. It worked for her drug and alcohol problem. Like I can stop eating completely.:)

There was a special that talked about that. How successful would a crack/cocaine addict or alcoholic be if they had to take just a hit or just a drink, each and every day? Unless you've been overweight, you just can't understand.

I told my husband, my daughter, and a couple close friends.

One friend said, "Hmmm, I don't know if I can be your friend anymore since you will be smaller than me." :rolleyes: I was shocked. She has been my friend for 15 years!!!

My husband and daughter have been very supportive so far, and I know they will continue to be.

I have not told many people because, frankly, it is none of their business.

Band date rapicly approaching at January 29th. As far as work is concerned, I am just on vacation that week.

I 've told:

:eek: my hubby (of course) - Super duper supportive and is behind me 500% (although he tells me every day that he is going to miss my "thickness") but nervous about the surgery:cheer2:

:gossip:My best Friend- super duper supportive (she gets me to excercise daily):cheer2:

:rolleyes: co-workers and other friends - some are ok, others are just clueless to what the band is...

family - Some are ok with it:) , some think it's just wrong:eek: !!

i say to all of them.."It has taken me a very long time and a lot of HARD work to get this far and I hope you understand and support my decision. If you don't then it's your loss." No one is going to change my mind!:cheer2: