Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk me down!!!!

Okay... I apologize in advance for not being able to cite my source....

I read a study on weight loss with the sleeve the other day and the results were that people lost and average of 55% of their excess weight in 2 years and had kept off 45% at 5 years.

:scared: ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING :thumbup1:

I HAD 85% OF MY STOMACH REMOVED !!!

Now... admittedly, I do not know the year... the bougie size.... the sample number.... the author. I just know I better freakin keep off more than 45% of my excess body weight. :scared0:

Edited by stcyt

And you're worrying about this now for what reason?

Averages don't say anything about how any particular individual is going to do. You are doing fine, and I'm sure you will continue to do fine -- if you don't stroke out or give yourself a heart attack from all these hysterics first! LOL

Chill out, eat your Protein, and remember... you can start enjoying your new life RIGHT NOW!

I promise I'm not really this crazy always. 9 out of 10 days I am really pretty sane.... its that 10th day that gets me!!!!!!!:willy_nilly:

So.... I come to this board and let you guys bring me back to reality. :biggrin0:

It all depends on individual basics they could remove 85% of the stomach but if you only eat things that are high calorie then you won't keep it off VSG is just a tool to help with the weightloss learning how to eat and make the right choices is part of the deal. :0)

As long as you don't suck down 3000 calorie milkshakes and continue to feed your body properly, you'll keep the weight off. Sadly, it's true of any weight loss surgery. There's only so much the surgery will do, the rest, and long term success solely depends on our commitment to change, and stay the course for the rest of our lives.

I think the sleeve is the best option for keeping the weight off.

like Tiffy said, if you suck down high calorie slider foods, of course you're going to gain weight.

At over a year out though, I can still only eat one piece of pizza. Before getting the sleeve, I could eat almost an entire pizza.

So, as long as I don't snack on bad foods, my portions will always be small and that has to help.

I should add that I know M & Ms are my big downfall and it's my choice whether to buy them or not.

Stcyt - I totally understand the "10th" day thing. For me, the sleeve is like a miracle. I'm finally losing weight and feeling in control. I keep waiting for the "catch". I read articles like you cited and freak out a bit too. But, we will win this war. We have a great "weapon" and we are doing awesome!!!!!

The studies you are quoting show the "long-term" data on a procedure that hasn't been performed (for bariatric reasons) for a long time yet. The bougie sizes that those figures are based on, are larger than the sizes used now (32 being the "gold-standard" I am told by several nurse practitioners at different centers). The stats for the 32 are much better. I have a friend who was sleeved 3 years ago, who tells me that a lot of her weightloss at this point depends on what she eats. She went on a kick for about 6 months where she ate nothing but sugary crap and didn't lose anything. She got it back together and went back to healty foods and the weight started coming back again. Someone posted this on another thread, and I thought it was great: http://www.ssat.com/video/2008/SSAT%2049th%20Annual%20Meeting(3)-Cirangle.htm

Hang in, sister!

Edited by pcindy

Okay guys.... I'm totaly embarassed for even posting my "freak out". I don't want anyone thinking about VSG surgery to read this and think its a bad idea. No matter what my crazy head does on some days

I WOULDNT TRADE MY SLEEVE FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your replies though. I do really just need to get grounded sometimes.