Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help with Emotional Eating Plz.

Hi All,

I know there are other threads here about this but I want to tell my story. Before I had VSG in Feb I was at my highest weight of 350. The first several months afterwards the weight came off quickly and I lost 90 lbs. However, this past month my addiction to comfort foods has returned with a vengeance. I have been eating a lot of junky and slider foods and throwing up at least twice a day. I know this really awful and it is taking a lot of courage for me to share with you. I have regained 4 pounds.

I don't understand why the cravings are so intense when I have so much to look forward to as I continue to get fitter and lose.

I feel so much despair like I will never get back on program and lose the rest of the weight. The only explanation I can provide is that my brain has a chemical addiction to food and cannot process the idea that most of my stomach is gone and those days of comfort overeating are also gone forever.

I would really appreciate advice for fellow WLS'ers who have been there and found a way back.

Thanks!

Pen

I really really feel for you. I am only 4 weeks out but we started around the same heaviest weight. I too believe I have the emotional eating problem as well but not so much right now because of being post op only 4 weeks. Maybe it's time to consider some group or one on one therapy to get through this? It's not something I would like to do but if it came down to back steping and gaining the weight back and possibility injuring myself... I would definately give it a good few weeks and try it. Other then that I would engulf myself in reading books on bariatric surgery and the emotional eating stuff, just to wrap myself up into it and realizing what was happening to me. Just some ideas but I really hope you find some help. if you ever need to talk don't hesitate to send me a message.

I too would get in a support group and if I didn't have to have the bad choices in the house they would be stripped from the kitchen, I have the snaks for the grandgirls but I have to put them away in the cabinet and immerse myself in this web site and OH for support and walk.I'm only 7 weeks out tho and still in the honeymoon phase.You are strong and you can succeed,hugs to you! Carla

ditto what they said,,, and hopefully this is just a slight hiccup in your journey you recognize what you are doing and 4 lbs isn't the end of the world,,, sounds like you really want to get control of this and i believe you will,,,, i'm only 3 weeks out so not really qualified to give advice but try to think about all the reasons you had the surgery all the things you have to look forward to ,,, and focus on your goals,,, best of luck,,, jeani

Have you thought about planning your meals out for the day? Then, you could incorporate some of those "forbidden" comfort foods in. I know when I put a food off-limits it makes me want it more.

A huge reason I had surgery was so I could control my portions and eating. I set a schedule, had a reminder on my phone and I only ate when it went off. I planned my food out a day in advance, and stuck to it. This was the easiest way for me to stop snacking/grazing, and hitting the cookie jar. Replace the bad habit with good ones. It's tough, and it's never going to be easy, but it is possible. I agree that a support group, or meeting with a counselor that specializes in food issues to help you find another coping mechanism that you can find comfort in that is equally rewarding, and fulfilling.

You may have to really limit your intake of those comfort foods that are your triggers. Stop buying them, make a list and stick to it, you have to change several aspects of your life, it's way more than just our eating habits.

Google the 5 day pouch test, and that will help get the carb monster under control. Your brain is craving foods because it gives you a sense of comfort, and happiness. But, your body is craving these foods also because it's what it is used to being fed.

If you have to, get rid of the junk in your house, don't carry cash so you don't hit the snack machine, these are all things I did with my band. I had head hunger beat by the time I got the sleeve, but it took a lot for me to beat it with the band.

I know that it's tough, but every time you put empty calories in your mouth, you're setting another road block in your path to success. Post a before picture on your fridge and pantry door, every time you want to eat something look at that picture, and remember that you're 90lbs smaller, and if you open the fridge, reach into the pantry for crappy food, you're going to look like that before picture much sooner than later. I have one posted on the side of my fridge to remind me of where I came from, and where I refuse to be again.

When I went for my pre-op psychological review, this was THE major topic. I never considered myself that much of an emotional eater but her main question to me (whether I was in denial or not) was how I was going to handle things post-op. I consider myself a boredom eater so I was confident in saying 'no problem' .. I will find something else to do.

Post-op .. different story. It never occurred to me what my triggers were and I have dealt with them head-on. Honestly, I have no room to eat anything more than the bare minimum and I have zero cravings for sugar or breads. I have a teenager so there are Snacks galore in the house but I have no interest in them. If I do, it's a bite or two and that seems to quell any desires for more. I don't know .. I am a changed person as a result of this surgery. I'm sorry you are struggling and I may very well be in your shoes at some point so hang in there .. your progress has been superb. Talk to someone you trust and get this off of your shoulders. You will succeed.

Hi All,

I know there are other threads here about this but I want to tell my story. Before I had VSG in Feb I was at my highest weight of 350. The first several months afterwards the weight came off quickly and I lost 90 lbs. However, this past month my addiction to comfort foods has returned with a vengeance. I have been eating a lot of junky and slider foods and throwing up at least twice a day. I know this really awful and it is taking a lot of courage for me to share with you. I have regained 4 pounds.

I don't understand why the cravings are so intense when I have so much to look forward to as I continue to get fitter and lose.

I feel so much despair like I will never get back on program and lose the rest of the weight. The only explanation I can provide is that my brain has a chemical addiction to food and cannot process the idea that most of my stomach is gone and those days of comfort overeating are also gone forever.

I would really appreciate advice for fellow WLS'ers who have been there and found a way back.

Thanks!

Pen

i soooo feel you! i completely understand what your going through, i did/am going through the same thing. . .i found that eating everything bad for me went down so good, so much better then the good food. . i started to feel sleepy alot and lacked alot of energy, just like before surgery. . .it was the carbs. . . tiffykins suggested that i try the 5 day pouch test. . . what would it hurt right? well i'm on day 2 now and let me tell it's tough, i'm craving rice of all things really badly, but haven't eatten anything. . .today i'm doing better, only Protein shakes, Soups, Clear liquids, Jello and zero calorie drinks . . i feel really good, i'm actually detoxing, it's given me the runs big time, but that is ok, i'm getting cleaned out. . . i'm going to stay on this liquid thing for 1 week or so and then slowly advance, just like the first time after surgery. . .we did so good back then. . . i remember i vowed i wouldn't ever screw up after having spent so much money on this surgery, well i did and now i have to get back on track. . . i'm lucky i haven't gained a pound but i'm really not wanting to either. . so best to nip it in the bud and get on living and losing. . . i posted a fabulous site on what to do with Protein Shakes under the food and nutrition section . . . some fabulous recipes. . my favorite is the pumpkin spice vanilla one. . . soooooooooo yum! Good luck and get back on track . . you spent too much on this, you invested yourself. . .

I have not had surgery yet but I completely understand food addiction. My first thought when I am upset is food. I found out some very upsetting news this morning and I got in a small snit with my husband because I wanted to get a coffee from starbucks. (honestly if I wanted coffee that badly I could make some at my desk) but, I just lost it.. I was so mad. Then later I thought about the same moment and I was over it. I am tired of food making choices for me instead of the other way around. I feel so guilty after I indulge in bad foods.

I think also you might be testing your sleeve...testing its limits. But I believe the physical side effect of throwing up and just the sheer uncomfortableness of overeating might help teach you this is not a good idea. Before when you would overeat the consequence immediately was comfort and feeling good. Now it isn't so good...right?

You might have operated in a compulsive passion in the past where following a period of dieting (i.e. losing 90 lbs) you began to eat compulsively. So your natural reaction is to try to go back to your old ways and that is what you are attempting. That is so common among us. So perhaps you were trying to begin that cycle of overeating...but your sleeve will not allow you to eat compulsively.

If it were me I would try not to panic. Just try to get back on track with 64 oz Water, Proteins first, then vegetables, then carbs. And if you are walking then that is good.

Your weight loss is phenomenal. Please don't beat yourself up over a 4 lb gain. Be patient with yourself and trust your sleeve.

I had my surgery in Feb too and I've missed all my old foods too. I've had periods where I was very hungry and I ate all wrong. I have had huge stalls where I go up or down a few lbs - in fact this is the third month that there is only one week of the month that my body will shed lbs. Usually only 6 lbs a month now. But I believe in the learning process of this sleeve, even for us hard heads.

Just relax and try not to panic. For the first time in your life, it is nearly impossible to be the eater you once were. Do the basics right - drink your fluids, take your Vitamins, and eat your Protein first. If you do those things right and spend a lot of time exploring your emotions through therapy or whatever...you are going to be just fine. You will get through this and you will have the life you want.

You are gonna be fine. You are not going to gain your weight back. In fact, you will lose again. You are stalling...trust your sleeve and your body. And I believe your head will follow. For me the head was the last part to comply.