Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks & At A Stall...Need Help

I am 3 weeks out tomorrow and I have been at the same weight all week. Agghhh I feel like i'm stuck:thumbdown: it's really becoming discouraging for me. I have been getting almost all my Protein in maybe missing about 10 grams or so and have started my walking but i'm not losing. I have been drinking only Water and not eating any more then 800 calories a day. Does the weight loss slow down this much or should I be trying something else. Any tips you guys have I would love to hear them..I just feel so down about it:frown1:!

Andrea,

Me too, sleeved the same day. From what I have read and heard it's very common, to keep plugging along. this week the scale was down 3 up 2 down 1 up 1, going crazy. I seem to be eating more than most at 3 weeks, or should I say i can tolerate more foods, which sort of scares me. I hope I didn't mess up.

Hang in there.

amy

It happens to most people, you just have to wait it out and all will be well.

Yep, me too, the 3 week stall. Have not lost any more for 9 days now. I keep hearing that our bodies just need to adjust, but I know how you feel. I don't have a problem eating anything in particular, though I can only eat about 4 ounces. Have been getting in all my Protein, and eating about 800 cal a day on average. Just started really doing more though as today was the first really pain free day I have had. I feel great!

My '3-week' stall lasted 11 days !!! I just knew that I was going to be the one that this surgery was NOT goint to work for.

Fortunately, we can't cheat with the sleeve like we did in the past when we got frustrated. So I just kept plugging along. Considered taking the scale away like others have said. I just couldn't do it. Finally, one morning I had lost 3 pounds !!!!!!!!!!:(

I'm sure I'll never have another stall along the way....but I know that I'm only going one direction.....the good way down.

VSG 4/7/2010

Highest Weight: 365

Surgery Weight: 349

Current Weight: 304

you need to start doing exercise, believe me, start walking, jogging, or dancing and i promise you, you'll start seeing results. start walking one mile, than 2 miles, try to get to 3 miles.....if you can jog a bit, it's much better. :(

i too will be four wks tomorrow...lost about 32 lbs....only two of those this last week...hoping it will pick back up next week!! i try to stay positive because i'll have to get new clothes when i lose more and i just got into the ones i was wearing two years ago...it really helps to know this is happening to others!!!

Put the scale away! That's what saved my sanity.

Allow yourself to weigh once a week. And if you haven't taken measurements, do it!

I'm weighing once a week and taking measurements every 2-4 weeks.

It happens to everybody. You'll start losing again...I promise.

Edited by goodlife

I understand the frustration, but this seems really common. In my two months since surgery I have stalled a couple of times. One thing I am trying to do is walk the walk my own way. Your body will respond to all the things you are doing to take care of yourself. Also....don't get too caught up in what everyone else is doing....I found myself in the crazy space of seeing who was losing weight faster than me...

The stall will pass. Your weight will come off. You will be great.

I was sleeved 2 days before you and I'm also at a stall. I've actually put back on about 2-3 lbs. I'm a little discouraged because now i find myself able to eat a lot more than i used to, and if i choose to eat something that is really easy to go down, like Protein Shakes, yogurt, or pudding, it doesn't stay with me at all and i end up eating large portions and then eating again shortly later, and my calorie intake ends up being too high at the end of the day. I've ended up with days with my calories as high as 1500-1600. I don't know if this means i should be moving to solids now, or what, as i get hungry easily :thumbup1: I wish i could have my filling veggies back, they always stuck with me on few calories!! I hate not being able to eat them!!

Solids will help. I was having the same problem with the shakes and full liquids going through too fast and then wanting to eat every 2 hrs. With solid Protein it is much better. chicken, fish, hamburger that I have tried stays with me a lot longer 3-4 hrs. I've not had any problem with any food that I have eaten as long as I don't eat too fast, or too much. The scale finally moved today one pound, I think I might just put it away for a while. I'm looking at the thing all the time.

Here's how to break your stall:

1. Do the right things: keep your calories in the 600-800/day range. Keep carbs moderate. Make sure you're getting at least 60 g of protein/day. Make sure you're drinking enough Water. Get lots of exercise. Get lots of sleep.

2. Put the scale away. Others have said this, but nothing will drive you crazier than weighing yourself every day. Weigh yourself weekly TOPS.

Hi Gator...I'm only 10 weeks out from surgery, so I'm still pretty new at the sleeve--but I'm not new to dieting/weight loss. Let me offer a guess at what I think is happening that may help you feel encouraged...Looking at your ticker, I see that you lost 25 pounds pretty quickly. When we restrict carbohydrates and/or cut calories drastically, we will almost always see an initial rapid weight loss followed by a brief "stall". Here's an explanation of why this may happen:

"When we restrict energy intake too much too soon in order to lose weight quickly the body is forced to use up stores of carbohydrates and breakdown Protein in the muscles. As both carbohydrates and Protein hold Water in the cells a loss of these macronutrients also results in a net loss of Water. As a result rapid weight loss can often be made up of 75% water loss. After the energy systems stabilize water is regained because some of the protein and carbohydrate stores initially lost are replenished. The water is drawn back into the cells thus gaining back a little weight.

It can be very confusing when one week you lose 4 pounds, the next week nothing. However remember that gaining protein in muscles increases lean body weight. More lean body weight increases our metabolism and help burn fat faster!"

Take a deep breath and keep doing the right things. Even though you are frustrated because you aren't seeing the scale move, I feel pretty certain that if you are eating 800 calories a day, your body is still burning fat as it replenishes some of the initial water loss from the beginning. Start adding some exercise to what you are already doing, and I think you will begin to see a more steady loss real soon.

I too am three weeks out and my weightloss has come to a complete stop. This week I had a follow up with my surgeon and he advised me to watch my calories. Its very easy during the full liquid and mushy phase to consume too many calories with yogurt and creamy Soups. He advised me to try more Protein in the way of ground turkey and fish. I have to admit that the idea of pureed food made me gag but Im being creative and making ground turkey with pinto Beans and a touch of salsa. I blend it just enough so that its not too chunky. The best thing is that this meal kept me feeling full for a long time. I drink two Protein Shakes a day. The chewable vitamins gag me, any suggestions for making them more appealing? All this and still trying to drink 64 oz of Water.< /p>

Im excited and feel like I am back on track!

I am in the same boat with you.