Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Sleeve (Gastric Plication)

I am very happy with my choice to have the super sleeve but from what I understand if you have around 100 or more lbs to lose you should go with the vsg. I'm no dr so i would just talk to your dr about the pros and cons. My largest size is 20, my pro-op size was 14-16, and as of today I'm 8-10. I haven't lost much weight this month but I lost a few inches so that is good.

When you say Super Sleeve, are you still talking VSG? Because I've heard Super Sleeve used to describe a smaller pouch (A versus B) with the VSG procedure and with the Plication procedure. "Marketing" you got to love it but it can be confusing:)

I am very happy with my choice to have the super sleeve but from what I understand if you have around 100 or more lbs to lose you should go with the vsg. I'm no dr so i would just talk to your dr about the pros and cons. My largest size is 20, my pro-op size was 14-16, and as of today I'm 8-10. I haven't lost much weight this month but I lost a few inches so that is good.

Hi Mellifrits,

I was curious on how you are doing and how much weight have you lost so far, also how much food do you think you can eat in one sitting?

I am a size 20 now and I do want to loose 100lbs, just still debating:confused1:

and it sucks!! I wish I could just decide on one or the other darn it!!

thanks Lisa

So how was it? How are you doing now? And how much weight have you lost to date?

I'm scheduled for VSP 10/4/10 in TJ. Looking forward to your posts.

OK, it's been a month and I don't see anything posted, although I am new to this sight, please let me know, my surgery is October 12th. Best wishes!

So how was it? How are you doing now? And how much weight have you lost to date?

I'm scheduled for VSP 10/4/10 in TJ. Looking forward to your posts.

Hi, sorry i didn't post anything earlier. It is 4 weeks now.The surgery went very well in TJ. I was very weak after surgery for 2 weeks. I would suggest that you have at least 20g of Protein everyday after surgery. You can get it in the powder form. I have lost 15lbs to date. I think i have hit a stall for the past week and half. I can see i am losing inches though. I still have alot of gas and i am taking nexium for it, hopefully it goes away soon. I find myself feeling hungry after every 2 hours. The doctors said i am mistaking gas for hunger, I think I would know the difference. I get my fluids in when i feel hungry. I have lots of Water and hot green tea. The hot liquids help soothe the stomach and help with the gas. I am eating solids now and i eat everything possible. Remember to chew slowly. When you are hungry you want to eat faster and you can end up overeating. It takes a few minutes for the food to hit the bottom of my stomach if i overeat I end up feeling uncomfortable in the chest area for a little while, not too long. So once you know how much you can eat you will be fine, you wouldn't make the mistake to overeat again.

My only problem is the gas and feeling hunger too soon. Is there anyone out there with this problem. Please share with me.:thumbup:

Hi, sorry i didn't post anything earlier. It is 4 weeks now.The surgery went very well in TJ. I was very weak after surgery for 2 weeks. I would suggest that you have at least 20g of Protein everyday after surgery. You can get it in the powder form. I have lost 15lbs to date. I think i have hit a stall for the past week and half. I can see i am losing inches though. I still have alot of gas and i am taking nexium for it, hopefully it goes away soon. I find myself feeling hungry after every 2 hours. The doctors said i am mistaking gas for hunger, I think I would know the difference. I get my fluids in when i feel hungry. I have lots of Water and hot green tea. The hot liquids help soothe the stomach and help with the gas. I am eating solids now and i eat everything possible. Remember to chew slowly. When you are hungry you want to eat faster and you can end up overeating. It takes a few minutes for the food to hit the bottom of my stomach if i overeat I end up feeling uncomfortable in the chest area for a little while, not too long. So once you know how much you can eat you will be fine, you wouldn't make the mistake to overeat again.

My only problem is the gas and feeling hunger too soon. Is there anyone out there with this problem. Please share with me.:biggrin0:

Thank you so much for sharing. As you already know, I'm nervous and I hadn't completely made my mind up about getting VSP or VSG?? I really want whatever is going to bring the results I'm looking for SAFELY. I'm going by myself, I'm leaving Saturday and will return the following Saturday. My doctor wants to observe me for a week before he sends me home:) I'm not complaining, at least he's not trying to do "drive thru" surgery. Were you ever considering VSG or were you always going to do VSP?

My only problem is the gas and feeling hunger too soon. Is there anyone out there with this problem. Please share with me.:)

Hi 4My, I have had the hunger feeling two hours after I eat also. It feels like my stomach is growling. So annoying. What I started to do was make myself belch. When I do that, the feeling goes away. I felt the same way you did, but mine turned out to be gas after all. Try that and see if it helps. I'm eight weeks out, down 27 pounds, and coming off my blood pressure meds. My growling was almost constant at first and I was regretting the surgery, but now I'm fine.

Hi 4My, I have had the hunger feeling two hours after I eat also. It feels like my stomach is growling. So annoying. What I started to do was make myself belch. When I do that, the feeling goes away. I felt the same way you did, but mine turned out to be gas after all. Try that and see if it helps. I'm eight weeks out, down 27 pounds, and coming off my blood pressure meds. My growling was almost constant at first and I was regretting the surgery, but now I'm fine.

Hi Joanie, I feel so relief to hear someone else experienced this trouble and that you are fine now. Thanks for taking the time to let me know this. I had the same feeling of regret, with some sleepless nights. Your words will help me sleep alot better tonight. I will try belching as big as I can. I just did and it felt much better than burping. I hate all this gas. I am glad you're off your BP meds, i have been off my diabetic pills from since the day of surgery, my sugar levels have dropped to normal. So if this surgery can help my diabetes where nothing else was, I am all for GPS.

Thank you so much for sharing. As you already know, I'm nervous and I hadn't completely made my mind up about getting VSP or VSG?? I really want whatever is going to bring the results I'm looking for SAFELY. I'm going by myself, I'm leaving Saturday and will return the following Saturday. My doctor wants to observe me for a week before he sends me home:) I'm not complaining, at least he's not trying to do "drive thru" surgery. Were you ever considering VSG or were you always going to do VSP?

Hi, Are you doing your surgery with Dr. Corvala at Angeles Hospital. If you are don't be nervous. They are very nice and will take good care of you. If you could, try to take some OXO Soup mix (the powder type)with you. If you are flying it will do you good to ask the air hostess for some hot Water, add the mix in and drink, oh it will help so much with the gas. Try to pack light because you don't want to do any heavy lifting, ask for help. After surgery they wanted to keep me longer because i was so weak and out of it, however i would have lost my money for my flight back, so i mustered up some strength and told them i wanted to go home. I was never interested in VSG because of the partial removal of the stomach. That sounded scary to me and i did not do enough research on that type of surgery. God's speed. Will keep in contact.

Edited by 4mygirls

Hi Joanie, I feel so relief to hear someone else experienced this trouble and that you are fine now. Thanks for taking the time to let me know this. I had the same feeling of regret, with some sleepless nights. Your words will help me sleep alot better tonight. I will try belching as big as I can. I just did and it felt much better than burping. I hate all this gas. I am glad you're off your BP meds, i have been off my diabetic pills from since the day of surgery, my sugar levels have dropped to normal. So if this surgery can help my diabetes where nothing else was, I am all for GPS.

Glad to help in any way I can. I'm also glad you're off your diabetes meds. Keep up the good work.:wink0:

Tomorrow is my big day!! I'm getting Sleeve Plication with Dr. Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center in TJ. I have gone back and forth with Sleeve Plication versus Sleeve Gastrectomy and unless something changes after pre-ops in the morning, I will be getting the plication. I am a little nervous but I've done my research and I feel confident with Dr. Ortiz and his team:)

Hi Mellifrits,

I was curious on how you are doing and how much weight have you lost so far, also how much food do you think you can eat in one sitting?

I am a size 20 now and I do want to loose 100lbs, just still debating:confused1:

and it sucks!! I wish I could just decide on one or the other darn it!!

thanks Lisa

Keep posting..I definitely want to follow you on your journey. My surgery is tomorrow!!

lguidry

Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go.

genepha

I had a plication with Dr Ortiz in TJ last week. The first one was done in 2007 and many predict it will virtually replace bands in about 5 years. We will see. I feel great - 5 days out. No pain from surgery. Pain from gas and reflux. I can eat about /2 cup of liquid Soup and them am FULL. As someone said, feels like I ate T-giving dinner. The sweeling will go down tho and I should be able to eat 4-6 ozs a meal. I didn't want to risk slips and erosions as well as have to deal with fills. I hope it works. Didn't undergo major surgery for nothing :)

deb in Phoenix

I am wondering is there any one hear that has had the Plication Surgery when it first came out around may? If so how much weight have you lost?

Could you give us a update?

Lisa~

How did you do? he did mine 5 days ago and today I felt almost normal. YEAH!

Tomorrow is my big day!! I'm getting Sleeve Plication with Dr. Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center in TJ. I have gone back and forth with Sleeve Plication versus Sleeve Gastrectomy and unless something changes after pre-ops in the morning, I will be getting the plication. I am a little nervous but I've done my research and I feel confident with Dr. Ortiz and his team:)