Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to worry about losing weight pre-op

I have been working at it for 2 weeks + now and have been stuck at 7 pounds for at least a week of it. I am not sure why but I am getting a little worried that I wont be able to lose the other 8 I need to before surgery on the 9th of June.

I have 1 to 2 Protein shakes a day and 1 to 2 healthy meals. I had to stop drinking crystal light because it made my throat so raw that I have still not gotten my voice back. My calorie intake is 800 or below. What the heck am I doing wrong? The only thing that I can see needs improvement is adding a little more exercise

I have 16 days left...

Zephra, I am in Dallas also. I did not loose very much weight pre-op, about the same as you are at right now. I started two weeks prior with a 1200 calorie diet. I was on Slim Fast shakes (5 per day) plus one meal (lean Protein with 2 cups veggies). I even cheated a little. But my surgeon was very pleased with my results. Don't worry, it sounds like you are doing great. The important thing as I understand it is your liver. Having too much fat in the liver can be dangerous. The liver is in front of your stomach. I think as long as you stick to the recommended diet as closely as possible, your liver is what is important and not so much with the weight loss. Best of luck to you!!

I am thinking about just doing Atkins for the last 2 weeks. The last time I did that, I dropped a lot of weight quickly though I know it was mostly Water weight. My surgeon only requires one day of liquids only so I could work in the Atkins easily. I don't really remember what I age on it though.

Zephra, I am in Dallas also. I did not loose very much weight pre-op, about the same as you are at right now. I started two weeks prior with a 1200 calorie diet. I was on Slim Fast shakes (5 per day) plus one meal (lean Protein with 2 cups veggies). I even cheated a little. But my surgeon was very pleased with my results. Don't worry, it sounds like you are doing great. The important thing as I understand it is your liver. Having too much fat in the liver can be dangerous. The liver is in front of your stomach. I think as long as you stick to the recommended diet as closely as possible, your liver is what is important and not so much with the weight loss. Best of luck to you!!

Hey Devo,

Who was your doctor?

Hey Devo,

Who was your doctor?

Never mind, I see you went to Dr. Nick. He is supposed to be great. BTW, you live pretty close to me. I have a home in the 75044 (my in laws lease it) and a home in Rowlett and work at Firewheel mall for Re/Max Town Centre. I was thinking about starting a little support group in that general area in the future. Let me know what you think.

A support group sounds awesome! I live in South Garland, near Mesquite. Not too far from Rowlett actually! We are off I-30 and Bobtown...Firewheel is good though...I work in Addison so I could catch George Bush on the way home from work and stop somewhere there...

p.s. Dr. Nick is great. My hubby recommended him. He has worked with him at Forest Park. Who is your dr?

p.s. Dr. Nick is great. My hubby recommended him. He has worked with him at Forest Park. Who is your dr?

Doc Davidson out of Presby. Going to have surgery at Forest Park. I am just off of 66 in Rowlett but when the 190 gets done, it will be so fast to get anywhere. Only another year of it. It is actually being built right in front of my house. Let's see if we can get something going soon. Are there others in are area that you know of?

Sounds good, would like to meet you. I have seen others from Dallas but not sure that they are in our area. I wonder if there is a way you can search for Dallas members? Or perhaps you could do a poll? There could be others interested in a local support group...

190 is meeting I-30 near our house as well. We're off to the grocery store and other chores this quiet Sunday afternoon. Talk to you later!

That is what I am doing but I feel so wrong eating some of the things I am getting. I wonder too if my calorie intake was not too low. It was usually between 500-800. I did low carb before with great results so I am hoping.

wow...how can you eat so little calories pre-surgery. I was going nuts on my 1200 calorie diet pre-surgery and I had a few "last meals". last steak, last shrimp & crab legs meal...it has to come off soon for you at those levels, keep it up!

Hi Zepra - I'm going to Dr. Davidson too. When is your surgery? I'm scheduled for June 11th. I love Dr. Davidson, Trevor, Sandy, Linda and the whole crew! Dr. Nick was my second choice, but Friday surgery was more convenient, and Trevor spent so much time on the phone with me telling me ALL about the sleeve!! I initially thought I'd get banded, I knew nothing about the sleeve until I spoke to him! I knew I had the right group! Anyway...good luck to you!!

Doc Davidson out of Presby. Going to have surgery at Forest Park. I am just off of 66 in Rowlett but when the 190 gets done, it will be so fast to get anywhere. Only another year of it. It is actually being built right in front of my house. Let's see if we can get something going soon. Are there others in are area that you know of?

wow...how can you eat so little calories pre-surgery. I was going nuts on my 1200 calorie diet pre-surgery and I had a few "last meals". last steak, last shrimp & crab legs meal...it has to come off soon for you at those levels, keep it up!

Protein shakes make a world of difference. I had a little problem in the beginning because I could not stand the taste of the one I got from the doctors office. I tried the already made one you get in the store. I think they are EAS or something like that and I like them, however I kept reading people talk about Isopure and got some from GNC. Wow. 50 grams of Protein in 2 scoops! But then I got this idea to mix one scoop with one of the ready made shakes instead of Water. Even better. I actually really love it and I stay full for hours.

Also, once I got the sugar out of my system and cut back the carbs, I lost most of my hunger. Plus I try to drink Water constantly. The upcoming surgery is a huge motivation. I will say that the mental hunger is still there sometimes. I find myself wanting to reach for something or even daydreaming about something bad for me. I have had to talk myself down often, and I am not always successful. The other night we went to Red Robin. I LOVE their mushroom burgers and decided I was going to get one no matter what. Well, when it came time to order, I asked for a salad instead...and was satisfied when I finished. I did have a few little bites of my sons minus the Buns though.

Hi Zepra - I'm going to Dr. Davidson too. When is your surgery? I'm scheduled for June 11th. I love Dr. Davidson, Trevor, Sandy, Linda and the whole crew! Dr. Nick was my second choice, but Friday surgery was more convenient, and Trevor spent so much time on the phone with me telling me ALL about the sleeve!! I initially thought I'd get banded, I knew nothing about the sleeve until I spoke to him! I knew I had the right group! Anyway...good luck to you!!

I went in wanting the band too but after talking to Sandy (whom I think is awesome) I changed my mind. I hear a lot of people talk about Doc D's poor bedside manner but I found him to be very nice. He held my hand at one point while we discussed how I was nervous about taking care of my kids after surgery. He has such a great reputation as a doctor though and totally trust him. I was very pleased by the office staff. SO friendly and Trevor was great. Are you drinking those shakes he sells in the office? I bought a box of assorted and don't think I will use them. If you would like them, let me know.

The only concern I have is the cost. I am self pay and I took out a line of credit for this. I want to pay this back myself and not take any money from my husband. More of a pride thing I think. But I am a Real Estate agent and only in the business for less than a year and my client base is not large yet. I only get a pay check when I sell a home and I don't see one coming for at least 60 days, maybe more... But the bills never stop do they? My husband just went perminate with his job and will be getting insurance, Blue Cross, but If I could get them to okay the surgery I am sure there would be at least a 3 month wait and more than likely longer. I want this done yesterday!

I am having surgery June 9th. I will keep the room clean for you since you are next. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing and I will do the same for you.