Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RUN! My bubble bursted.

I have been so elated the last few weeks anticipating getting sleeved on 6/4/10. But, today I met the devil who was cleverly disguised as a cardiologist.

I showed up to his office for a nuclear stress test. (My back problems prevent me from doing the treadmill.) I was taken back where they weighed me, and took my blood pressure. Shortly after that, a tech came in to do an EKG.

After just a few minutes the devil came in. The first clue was that as he introduced himself and I to him, he never made eye contact or shook hands.

He blurted out, "your blood pressure is out of control and the meds you are taking are all wrong for you". A bit shocked, I sat there and then he asked, "do you have high cholesterol?" I answered yes. Then he went on a rant as to the meds I should be on for that. I tried to explain that my liver enzymes were elevated and my PCP wanted to wait 2 months and test me again before adding Lipitor to my regime. Then he got huffy again and said that didn't make any sense.

He listned to my heart and loudly said "your lungs are shot!". Then he asked if I smoked. I told him I had quite 5 days ago. He went on to ask several questions about my breathing etc. When I mentioned having asthma for years. He cut me off and said "no you don't, you have COPD".

He was scaring the hell out of me. Saying everything my regular dr has me doing is wrong and that I have been completely misdiagnosed. Then he told me I needed more blood work, including a blood gas study, a pulminary function test, a chest xray and that he was sending me to the hospital to get it all done this afternoon!

My head was spinning and I burst into tears and asked if I was going to be able to have surgery. To which he quickly snapped, "didn't I just say that we needed more tests." Holy Crap, I felt like a kid being told off by the principal or something.

So, I go and get all the stuff done. Funny thing...the respiratory guy tells me that my test looked good. Also, after he gets the results of the blood gas, he asked if I used oxygen at home. I told him no and asked why. He said "because your oxygen levels are fine."

Now, here is the problem. I have an appt with Dr Dementia next Tuesday. At this time, we will go over my test results and he will decide if I can have a stress test. I feel like I am trapped. If I go to another cardio dr to get the stress test, I'm not sure if my surgeon will go for it, as he is the one who recommended Dr Evil. If I wait till I see Dr Evil again, IF he won't do the stress test, I am left with a little over a week to find, schedule and get a stress test with a new dr. OMG

Call your PCP and tell him he sent you to the devil. Naw, just say that the cardiologist was extremely rude to you and it's not a good fit. That you have no confidence in him because he contradicted your PCP. Have him quickly set up an appt. with another cardioligist. You don't have to put up with that kind of crap.

I'll call my dr in the morning. Thanks, I was so upset, I couldn't think straight. I went into full panic mode.

That is so ridiculous! You have every right to stand up for yourself in this situation and to see another cardiologist. Sounds like this guy has a huge chip on his shoulder.

Sounds like his bedside manner could do with a little work, but he may have done you a favour in the long run - get the tests and possibly a second opinion... but you need to be as healthy as possible before going into the op, otherwise you put yourself at risk.

Good luck

Kathy

I have been so elated the last few weeks anticipating getting sleeved on 6/4/10. But, today I met the devil who was cleverly disguised as a cardiologist.

I showed up to his office for a nuclear stress test. (My back problems prevent me from doing the treadmill.) I was taken back where they weighed me, and took my blood pressure. Shortly after that, a tech came in to do an EKG.

After just a few minutes the devil came in. The first clue was that as he introduced himself and I to him, he never made eye contact or shook hands.

He blurted out, "your blood pressure is out of control and the meds you are taking are all wrong for you". A bit shocked, I sat there and then he asked, "do you have high cholesterol?" I answered yes. Then he went on a rant as to the meds I should be on for that. I tried to explain that my liver enzymes were elevated and my PCP wanted to wait 2 months and test me again before adding Lipitor to my regime. Then he got huffy again and said that didn't make any sense.

He listned to my heart and loudly said "your lungs are shot!". Then he asked if I smoked. I told him I had quite 5 days ago. He went on to ask several questions about my breathing etc. When I mentioned having asthma for years. He cut me off and said "no you don't, you have COPD".

He was scaring the hell out of me. Saying everything my regular dr has me doing is wrong and that I have been completely misdiagnosed. Then he told me I needed more blood work, including a blood gas study, a pulminary function test, a chest xray and that he was sending me to the hospital to get it all done this afternoon!

My head was spinning and I burst into tears and asked if I was going to be able to have surgery. To which he quickly snapped, "didn't I just say that we needed more tests." Holy Crap, I felt like a kid being told off by the principal or something.

So, I go and get all the stuff done. Funny thing...the respiratory guy tells me that my test looked good. Also, after he gets the results of the blood gas, he asked if I used oxygen at home. I told him no and asked why. He said "because your oxygen levels are fine."

Now, here is the problem. I have an appt with Dr Dementia next Tuesday. At this time, we will go over my test results and he will decide if I can have a stress test. I feel like I am trapped. If I go to another cardio dr to get the stress test, I'm not sure if my surgeon will go for it, as he is the one who recommended Dr Evil. If I wait till I see Dr Evil again, IF he won't do the stress test, I am left with a little over a week to find, schedule and get a stress test with a new dr. OMG

EWWWWWWW what an a$$ he is. . . I really don't have any respect for doctors who believe they are all that and a bag of chips! That is terrible, I would tell my PCP about him and have the PCP maybe recommend someone else. . . wow! that is sooooo very unprofessional!

ITA. Ask for a 2nd referral. I wouldn't want to be in the same room with that guy again! You can even play it kinda safe and tell your primary dr that your personalities just weren't a good match.

I have done that with clients before! I can tell after one meeting that it isn't gonna work or they will drive me crazy during the process - so I make up some excuse and refer them to someone else : )

Wow! I think he sucks!! What a jerk!! I would definitely call and ask for a referral to get a second opinion. You shouldnt have to give a reason why, and if they ask you, you could always tell them the truth, that he was a total A$$ and was very unprofessional and rude to you!

Dont settle to be treated like that!!

I am so sorry that you had to go through that bull crap!!!

I dont have any additional advice as everyone has pretty much said what I was thinking. I just wanted to say that I sympathize with you and......

That I really Love your sense of humor!!!

Dr. Evil and Dr. Dimentia!!!

LOL!!! LOL!!!

Hang on to your sense of humor!!!

:)

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I spoke with my dr this morning and was referred to a new cardiologist for a stress test on Thursday.

BTW, I did have all the tests done that the other dr asked for and will get that info to the new dr. I agree that I need to be in top form for surgery and don't want to risk anything.

It's unfortunate that people who are supposed to be in the healing profession can do so much harm. It sounds as though this MD was completely unprofessional and disrespectful--both to you and to your PCP.

I had a doctor who made a snap diagnosis of COPD when I was having some breathing difficulties. It had not been a chronic problem, I didn't have any history of smoking, and to be honest, the diagnosis made no sense. I got a second opinion, and it turned out that I was having problems with reflux and that was allowing small food particles into my lungs. When that was treated, the alleged "COPD" magically disappeared. Wrong diagnosis.

I also had a brief problem with palpitations that I eventually discovered were caused by too much synthroid. I was looking for a new PCP at the time and on my very first visit to this "doctor" he announced that I had an anxiety disorder, and he promptly wrote out a prescription and told me to "trust him". Good thing I didn't. Wrong diagnosis.

I could give a lot more examples, just from personal experience--but I'll spare you. The bottom line is that I have very little respect for doctors who hurl their uninformed guesses at unsuspecting patients. I would talk with your PCP about what happened and ask for another referral. This doctor sounds like a loose canon and he isn't someone I would want playing on my team!

Went to the new cardiologist today and what a difference. When he listened to my chest, he said it sounded fine! My EKG was normal too. So, they did the nuclear stress test on me. I have to wait a day or two for the results.

My only concern is that a few times during the test, my pressure dropped pretty low and they told me to cough to bring it up. I think this happened 5 times. I don't know if that's normal or if something is wrong. I'm a little nervous about that. I still have a fear of something stopping me from getting my surgery.

Other than that, it was a great visit to the dr. YAY! Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions.

I am so glad you had a better experience today. You deserve to feel respected and listened to. I'll cross my fingers for you and hopefully you will be on your way to a sleeve really soon!

Wow--it's great that you were able to get an appointment with another cardiologist so quickly! Good for you! I hope your results are all clear. When I had to get a cardiac clearance, I kept reminding myself..."What problem could I have that wouldn't be helped by WLS anyway? It's not likely that they are going to tell me no."

Sorry to hear that you had some problems during your testing but at least with this guy it sounds like you will at least get a fair assessment! I wish you all the best.