Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Small sins

Hi, this is my 11 day after the surgery and yesterday I went out for a birthday party with my children, I didn't have much choices about what to eat so I have Water and yogurt but I was craving to eat something so I ate a couple of pork skins now I feel terrible and scare because that might stop my weight loss. Any advice???

I wouldn't worry so much about it stopping your weight loss as I would worry that your stomach is not healed enough yet to handle stuff like that.

There's a reason we're on liquids, then full liquids, and then mushies/pureed foods and finally moving on to solids.

You really need to give your tummy a chance to heal!

That amount of Pork rinds won't bother you. But let this be a warning, that you need to follow what your doctor's plan is for you to eat. Goodlife is right, you need to give time for your tummy to heal, and that's 6 weeks minimum. And even then, you should wait on eating raw vegatables and dense meats.< /p>

At eleven days, I was eating most anything I wanted - within reason and either mushy/soft or chewed very well.

I found the Cornell guideline before my surgery and it worked great for me. I think the most important aspect is not to eat anything that will damage your stitch line - like nuts or anything that could stay crunchy and get stuck, causing an infection.

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

I also think it depends alot on what your stomach will tolerate. Many patients here talked about eating chili early on and I could never have done that! LOL

That amount of Pork rinds won't bother you. But let this be a warning, that you need to follow what your doctor's plan is for you to eat. Goodlife is right, you need to give time for your tummy to heal, and that's 6 weeks minimum. And even then, you should wait on eating raw vegatables and dense meats.

I wouldn't worry so much about it stopping your weight loss as I would worry that your stomach is not healed enough yet to handle stuff like that.

There's a reason we're on liquids, then full liquids, and then mushies/pureed foods and finally moving on to solids.

You really need to give your tummy a chance to heal!

I'll just ditto to what they had to say. It's just not worth it. Whatever your surgeon guidelines are, please stick to them. They have way more experience with these surgeries than any one member on this forum. Just because some other guideline is out there doesn't mean it's okay to follow it. We trusted the surgeons to remove 75-85% of our stomachs, trust them with their post-op diet recommendation.

Hang in there, it gets easier.

I'll just ditto to what they had to say. It's just not worth it. Whatever your surgeon guidelines are, please stick to them. They have way more experience with these surgeries than any one member on this forum. Just because some other guideline is out there doesn't mean it's okay to follow it. We trusted the surgeons to remove 75-85% of our stomachs, trust them with their post-op diet recommendation.

Hang in there, it gets easier.

Hmmm, was that directed at me??? LOL

Seems you have even posted the Cornell guidelines a few times.

Hmmm, was that directed at me??? LOL

Seems you have even posted the Cornell guidelines a few times.

Hmmmm, get over yourself Janet. You aren't the only one that advanced their diet early without issue, but that doesn't mean others out there have been as "lucky".

I've also posted with those guidelines that patients need to adhere to their surgeon's recommendations, and to use these guidelines for other food options/ideas when all they know is broth, Water and crystal light. Some people don't even get a post-op diet and are just kind of left out in the cold, so at least some sort of guidelines with food suggestions will help them. I believe I've stated on here more than a few hundred times for members to follow their own surgeon/nutritionist recommendations to avoid problems.

You are the one to get over yourself sweetie. My post was the only one you didn't acknowledge as being "good advice" and your comments were with the intent that "just because the guideline is there" doesn't mean it is good. It is from Cornell University, a pretty well known place. And you have posted it yourself. Don't try to act like I am posting something that might kill people or cause them serious problems.

You are not queen bee of the board even tho you try to wear the banner of Miss Know it All.

I have already apologized personally to Maravilla for the drama in her thread but I refuse to allow you to push your narrowminded opinions on people when there are other options that might work for someone.

Try posting in a less negative mode with a backhand slam to someone else. Everytime I see you or your group do it, I will respond. Getting attacked by ya'll doesn't deter me at all. Even tho I am losing weight, I still have big shoulders.

You are the one to get over yourself sweetie. My post was the only one you didn't acknowledge as being "good advice" and your comments were with the intent that "just because the guideline is there" doesn't mean it is good. It is from Cornell University, a pretty well known place. And you have posted it yourself. Don't try to act like I am posting something that might kill people or cause them serious problems.

You are not queen bee of the board even tho you try to wear the banner of Miss Know it All.

I have already apologized personally to Maravilla for the drama in her thread but I refuse to allow you to push your narrowminded opinions on people when there are other options that might work for someone.

Try posting in a less negative mode with a backhand slam to someone else. Everytime I see you or your group do it, I will respond. Getting attacked by ya'll doesn't deter me at all. Even tho I am losing weight, I still have big shoulders.

Once again, Janet, you've turned this around to being all about you.

There isn't any drama until you decide to make it personal. It seems to be your standard approach to every post by myself or someone else that doesn't agree with your "advice" that goes against other surgeon's recommendations.

I have posted 2 guidelines with the same statement to follow your own surgeon's program to avoid issues as they are the trained medical professionals and have been doing these surgeries with more experience than anyone on these forums.

As for your personal jabs against me, and "my group", you are simply making this forum a drama fest with your juvenile antics.

LOL You always only see it your way. As I have asked you before, just make your posts positive without saying or insinuating that someone else is wrong. It really isn't hard to do. Even I have done it!

There are as many different guidelines, etc etc as there are paint colors.

Re-read what you wrote:

I'll just ditto to what they had to say. It's just not worth it. Whatever your surgeon guidelines are, please stick to them. They have way more experience with these surgeries than any one member on this forum. (does that include you???) Just because some other guideline is out there doesn't mean it's okay to follow it. (directed at me even tho you have posted it as well) We trusted the surgeons to remove 75-85% of our stomachs, trust them with their post-op diet recommendation. (and what about the dr who says anything you can tolerate is ok, shall we trust them??? would be totally contradictory to your advice and admonishments to those who do move past some stages faster)

In his book, "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff... author Richard Carlson says, "Needing to be right - or needing someone else to be wrong - encourages others to become defensive and puts pressure on us (you) to keep defending."

Try it, you just might like it. I have always said what worked for me and that it was my opinion. I have never said that someone was bad, wrong or crazy for doing something different. I have offered others who asked different options so they could see what works best for them.

liquids didn't work for me. Was I wrong to move to something that did? I don't think so but you sure lectured me at the time. I had to find foods/beverages that would help me to recover and feel better. Thank God there were open minded people out there who offered me help and choices, and didn't just insult me and tell me to buck up.

I am done here. Will watch for your next rude email and jump in there. People need encouragement, not discipline. Think about it.

PNW218........you picked this fight. Chillax

hey sweetie! all is good! I am eating lunch, watching tv, doing a few searches online ....

tell your friend to respond nicer and she won't hear from me.

I have always looked out for others and have no intention of stopping now. You may think you outnumber me, but I get plenty of pm's that show otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmore viewpost.gif

PNW218........you picked this fight. Chillax

hey sweetie! all is good! I am eating lunch, watching tv, doing a few searches online ....

tell your friend to respond nicer and she won't hear from me.

I have always looked out for others and have no intention of stopping now. You may think you outnumber me, but I get plenty of pm's that show otherwise.

More and more Janet I am beginning to see you as toxic. For a while there I felt sorry for you, thinking that people were picking on you. But no, it was you who was always stirring up the pot. And I doubt that you will change your MO. Also, I see you giving very bad advice. This surgery is not a one size fits all kinda thing. Everyone's doctor is aware of the special needs of each patient, and there is a reason for the diet plans as they are. People not adhering to these guidelines could really hurt themselves. It's always best to err on the safe side. Oh, and by the way, I am not part of some conspiracy of people that think that they outnumber you. That is just plain paranoia. I try to be freindly with most eveyone. This forum works best when everyone is civil to each other.

Hi Maravilla, I apologize that your thread has been hijacked by what appears to be a disagreement between members that needs to be taken to pm as opposed to deterring from the help that you requested.

Maravilla, at eleven days out, I would strongly recommend that you not venture away from the diet that was prescribed to you by your doctor. You have had a potentially life changing surgery, please do not put yourself at risk by not following your doctors orders. When I was post-op, if I had to attend a function, I knew it was unlikely that they would have foods that matched my doctors post-op instructions. Therefore, I always made sure to bring whatever I would need with me.

What you did should not affect your weight loss, however, not following your doctors orders and eating foods you shouldn't could hurt the healing process.

My preferred advice always is to check with your doctor. You paid them a lot of money to take care of you and you entrusted your health to them. If you find your post-op diet is not working for you, you are starving, or whatever then call him/her. That is what they are there for. They can offer you suggestions that will help you get through the post-op period.

As for the members having disagreements with each other, how about we keep the personal attacks off of the message boards, and not overrun someones thread who is genuinely asking for needed advice. You may attack the idea, but not the person. Take the arguing to pm, or block the person if you simply cannot tolerate their postings.

Thanks Susan. I will work to make sure to keep my opinions/issues private.