Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting. I wonder why with the red wines. I was sort of planning to become a "glass of red wine in the evening" guy, once I'm cleared for it (since my beloved beer is a thing of the past).

There's an explanation from someone else on here about red wines. I quoted them above. I still haven't tried many reds. I'm not sure why, but I can drink red plum Japanese wine on occasion with zero issue. Maybe my surgeon just gave me that little tidbit because he's more conservative about alcohol. I honestly don't know because I just trusted him as much as anyone else trusts their surgeons when they are told something. My surgeon also requires that his bariatric patients wait a minimum of 3 months before trying alcohol. Other surgeons let their patients try it around 6 weeks out.

Edited by Tiffykins

You know I was a cheap date before the sleeve. I cannot imagine how quickly I would be knee-walking now! Hold onto your lampshades girls, here comes BJean! Not pretty!

But I don't like the idea of giving it up totally. Although I don't blame Helen one bit. That was a nasty spill you took. I imagine since the stuff affects us quicker and with less of it, you were not expecting to be a tipsy enough to lose it like that. Glad you're okay now!

Tiff, V-8 was one of the first juices that they prescribed after clear liquids! And I was able to drink some of that. Lacing it with a little Stoli seemed like a reasonable choice to me. I must say that I was at a burger joint with the family over the weekend (I heart cheeseburgers) and decided that the only thing on their menu that might work was their "Famous, Fabulous Chili." Well that was wrong! It was very spicy and I couldn't get more than one bite down. And my tummy wasn't happy the rest of the day. Yuk!

You know I was a cheap date before the sleeve. I cannot imagine how quickly I would be knee-walking now! Hold onto your lampshades girls, here comes BJean! Not pretty!

But I don't like the idea of giving it up totally. Although I don't blame Helen one bit. That was a nasty spill you took. I imagine since the stuff affects us quicker and with less of it, you were not expecting to be a tipsy enough to lose it like that. Glad you're okay now!

Tiff, V-8 was one of the first juices that they prescribed after clear liquids! And I was able to drink some of that. Lacing it with a little Stoli seemed like a reasonable choice to me. I must say that I was at a burger joint with the family over the weekend (I heart cheeseburgers) and decided that the only thing on their menu that might work was their "Famous, Fabulous Chili." Well that was wrong! It was very spicy and I couldn't get more than one bite down. And my tummy wasn't happy the rest of the day. Yuk!

I can't tolerate heavy Tomato based anything. I have to be super careful or I feel horrible. It could just be my stomach, and a sensitivity to acidic stuff. I also can not tolerate grapefuit juice, orange juice, or lemonade.

I can have lemon/lime in my tea, and rum/cokes without issue, but I could never sit down and drink an entire glass of tomato or orange juice.

This all started once the gallbladder came out in February. Except the OJ has always been an issue for me.

I don't drink at all now. I did drink quite a lot of red wine and was using that and occasionally vodka to help me cope with stress. It affected me really quickly and I didn't need much to feel seriously lightheaded, so lightheaded that just over 5 weeks ago I slipped on the stairs, fell backwards and fractured the base of my skull causing a major csf leak with lasted until last week. I was ashamed. I didn't tell the doctor I had been drinking and made my family promise not to tell anyone. I think I must have blacked out on the way down as I only remember slipping and then finding myself at the bottom of the stairs. From that night I promised myself and my husband that I wouldn't drink again as I just cannot handle it anymore with my new stomach. I gulp. I don't do sipping delicately at anything. I have joined the gym now and intend to use that to help me cope with the stress I feel 24/7.

Helen, I'm very sorry to hear that you've gone through this.

I've heard similar things from WLS patients, some become so sensitive to alcohol that one or two drinks can cause them to become "blackout drunk." I was advised to not drink anything for 6 months after surgery, and even then be very, very careful what I drink.

It's sad, because my 40th birthday is in three weeks, and it would have been the perfect occasion to raise a beer in celebration. But honestly, I'll take being fit and healthy over having a few beers, any day.

Ohhh, I wonder if a Bloody Mary would be a good choice. It has lemon or lime usually, celery and V-8 or Tomato juice.

Anybody have an answer to that??

My stomach did a little flip just reading about bloody marys. I like em spicey with extra horsh radish..... It doesn't sound very good anymore, I fear my sleeve would revolt.

The vodka and cranberry was none to gentle either. I probably won't drink again for a log time. It's too bad white russians have about a billion calories. Al that cream sounds soothing

My stomach did a little flip just reading about bloody marys. I like em spicey with extra horsh radish..... It doesn't sound very good anymore, I fear my sleeve would revolt.

The vodka and cranberry was none to gentle either. I probably won't drink again for a log time. It's too bad white russians have about a billion calories. Al that cream sounds soothing

When I'm feeling decadant (pre-sleeve) I loved to have a Kaluha Sombrero after dinner (sorry for the spelling). Just kaluha and half 'n half. It seemed to calm my stomach after eating anything. I've never checked the calorie count. But now I will!

Tiff I've never been able to drink OJ either! Man it does a number on me. I find it uncomfortable to even watch a child drink it for Breakfast. Ouch!

ourorborus, I feel your pain. Having a little glass of wine sure makes a night of Bridge or Canasta be more fun. And if it were my birthday... darn that would suck.

But you are right on when you say that being healthy and losing weight will feel a whole lot better!!

Thanks for your good wishes. I am sure that you will all be ok but I was quite a heavy drinker although I would never have admitted it to anyone. Prior to my accident I was knocking it back as I was under a lot of stress but in some ways I think it has done me a favour and made me take a good look at myself. I haven't admitted it to any of my friends or family, you guys are the only people I have told, that I was drunk that night although people did ask and I denied it. After a few months out I could down quite a lot of wine, although never as much as before my op, and it was slowing my weight loss down significantly. I have an addictive nature and cannot do anything in moderation, eat, smoke or drink. It's all or nothing with me and for me quitting the booze is the best thing I have done. Only 5 weeks out though and it's not easy now I am feeling better and summer is on the way. We went to a barbecue yesterday and it was quite difficult watching everyone around me drinking but I stuck to orange juice and was fine. I am determined to stick to this as the upset and stress I caused my husband and children has made me sick with guilt. They were devastated. I was stupid with alcohol. I'm sure you lot will be able to control it better than I did!

Thanks for your good wishes. I am sure that you will all be ok but I was quite a heavy drinker although I would never have admitted it to anyone. Prior to my accident I was knocking it back as I was under a lot of stress but in some ways I think it has done me a favour and made me take a good look at myself. I haven't admitted it to any of my friends or family, you guys are the only people I have told, that I was drunk that night although people did ask and I denied it. After a few months out I could down quite a lot of wine, although never as much as before my op, and it was slowing my weight loss down significantly. I have an addictive nature and cannot do anything in moderation, eat, smoke or drink. It's all or nothing with me and for me quitting the booze is the best thing I have done. Only 5 weeks out though and it's not easy now I am feeling better and summer is on the way. We went to a barbecue yesterday and it was quite difficult watching everyone around me drinking but I stuck to orange juice and was fine. I am determined to stick to this as the upset and stress I caused my husband and children has made me sick with guilt. They were devastated. I was stupid with alcohol. I'm sure you lot will be able to control it better than I did!

Thank you for sharing with us Helen.

I have a major addictive personality, and have dealt with addiction in my past. I don't deny it, and have to watch myself carefully because I too could easily be a "nightly drinker". This is a reminder to me and I'm sure many others that transfer addictions are far too common, and we need to know ourselves and triggers.

I hope you are able to remain sober, and heal after your accident.

Helen I've seen my dauther-in-law's father die from a long time addiction to alcohol. He tried to quit cold turkey when he was in his 50s. He developed a very rare disease that messed up his motor skills and his mental capacities. He died very soon after that. So you're doing the right thing, even though I know how very hard it is. Especially when you're around people who drink in a very carefree manner, with no thoughts of becoming addicted.

I had a friend who became a serious drunk after her husband left her. Some of the things she did, with her children being able to observe them, eventually became devastating to her. She thought no one knew but the fact was that everyone knew. I quickly decided that I'd better get a handle on why I overeat and am so addicted to certain foods before my kids became as disgusted and embarrassed about me as hers were at her behavior.

This is not an easy road we take, trying to live a beautiful, healthy life. But we have to love ourselves enough to do it for us. Not for our love of anyone else, but for the love of ourselves. Because if we love ourselves and we take care of us, we will be the best we can be for our loved ones.

I'm still not sure exactly what was causing me to dislike myself so much that I became self-destructive through food. But now that I am beginning to get adjusted to an entire new way of dealing with food, with the sleeve, I am already feeling better about myself. And I have high hopes that I will be a much happier and healthier mother, wife and friend.

It looks like you're doing quite well now and I wish you the very best. I know you are going to be so much happier and healthier now that you've made the decision to take care of yourself. Screw the stress - you're much more important than anything that can cause stress in your life.

I've known for a long time that I have probably drunk more than I should. I have never drunk during the day or felt I have 'needed' a drink but as soon as evening came I would open the wine and in the old days pre-op would easily manage the bottle. Post-op it was usually half the bottle. I think it started when my husband was in the first Gulf War in 1991 and me and the other army wives would sit and get drunk most nights. I never drank during either of my pregnancies but when my son was diagnosed as autistic I always wondered whether or not I had overdone it prior to discovering I was pregnant and therefore caused it. Anyway, I have suffered from major stress, anxiety and depression for the last 12 years as a result of my son's daily challenging behaviour and also the interminable sadness I feel for him having autism (he hates it and every day tells me he wants to be a 'normal' boy like the other boys - it's so sad and it never leaves me no matter what I do). So I drank, ate and smoked, not caring at all what I was doing to myself. I still feel a bit like that now, despite tackling the obesity, smoking and now drinking ,and don't enjoy my life at all. I have no optimism for the future but I have to keep going for my family's sake don't I?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I think that Tiffy is absolutely right in highlighting the transference of addictive behaviours and I for one am one of those people who just cannot stop despite being well aware of the damage I am doing.

Hopefully I will now embrace the gym and exercise (not entirely convinced of that as not a gym bunny at all) but it has got to be done.

Helen, I am so sorry to hear of your worries. I honestly think that if they could pin the causes on autism on maternal alcohol consumption they would have done it by now. The media love to blame Mums. I have a friend in a similar situation to you and she is convinced that the autism was caused by her husbands exposure to toxic substances in that war, either the vaccines or the depleted uranium.

But mothers feel responsible for their childrens plights, it's part of the maternal love thing. Maybe yours has tipped over a boundary though and is now destructive. Have you ever had therapy or counselling?

I have and it is very helpful. I had depression as a teen, and I think it saved my life, and then in my 40s because I had not coped with losing my mother to cancer in my early 30s and then having twins. This was a grief counseller and she was brilliant. The insight you get to your own behaviour is fascinating and they will give you coping strategies and thinking training to stop the self destruct.

I think you are right to can the booze, it's not a very important part of life really, we just think it is because it becomes a habit. Like the smoking, to which I was also addicted and thought I could never enjoy life without.

We should all become addicted to self improvement, think how perfect we could become ;-)

Thanks Jane, like your friend we have considered du exposure and the vaccinations from Gulf as well but I now suspect that it may be genetic as my husband's family (including him and my older daughter) all display traits that I and my friends can all recognise, plus his brother's second-born twins have not fully-developed speech and display suspect signs at 3 and a half. I have had lots of therapy etc. and it always ended up with them telling me the same thing - that my problems lay with finding more help with James. Whatever the reasons I am now hoping that I can find ways to help myself without using alcohol, food etc. as a crutch and look forward to a much healthier lifestyle. Being slimmer is a huge boost to my confidence and looking and feeling great in lovely clothes has got to be better than any drug!

I am addicted to buying clothes now, I keep it manageable by only buying on eBay or charity shops!!!