Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally posting a message

After lurking here for the past 2 months, I am finally posting a message. I just got a date - June 9th - for my sleeve and I am soooo excited. I also have a question. Did anyone else have to have a pre-op CT angiogram of their celiac artery? Not sure why I need it, but I'm trying to schedule it anyway. Also just found out today that I have full blown diabetes. Well, hopefully it's short lived.

I hope this adds my signature automatically :thumbup:

Welcome...I'm glad you decided to quit lurking and start posting! :thumbup:

Congratulations on getting your date. I hope too for you that your diabetes is short lived.

I didn't have to have any pre-op scans of any kind.

Do you have any other health problems or history that would have prompted this?

Congratulations on getting a date....that's exciting! The only extra test I had was the EKG. Did they explain why it is necessary? Working with doctors I find that sometimes that don't really explain the reasons behind procedures. If not, feel free to ask. And I bet you can kiss that diabetes away soon!

Congrats on your date. We are getting done on the same day. I have yet to get any of the pre-op stuff but I don't think I needed anything extensive.

I believe the test is to check blood flow to the left side of the stomach? At least that's what I think he said. I'm a little suprised and anxious that I'm the only one who is having this done, but, hey, I guess it's best to cover every possibility, right?

Hi and congrats on your date - the day before me!

I go for my pre op on 21st May, so not long now....

People with a history of diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking, or high lipid values have a greater risk of blockage in their arteries. Because you have had undiagnosed diabetes, your doctor may want to do some tests to rule out problems. Congratulations on your decision. June is just around the corner!

Congrats on setting your date. Tommorrow I am having blood work, Urinalysis, chest X-ray, EKG done and then I need to get a medical clearance from my PCP. I have surgey on 5/19.

Welcome to sleeve talk. We are happy you started posting and eager to share your journey with you!

Congrats on getting your date set. I can't wait. I don't have a date set yet - waiting for insurance approval, but I needed to have a psych exam and sleep study before my surgeon would submit request to insurance. Once I get approval, I'll need to have an EKG, a pulminary exam, bloodwork, etc. before surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Well I lied...I did have to have an EKG and a chest x-ray..but not until my pre-op appt. at the hospital a few days before my surgery. Everything was already scheduled and paid for at that point.

Thank you all for your answers, especially you Katt. It makes sense to me now. Better safe than sorry! I'm still trying to figure out how much I'll lose by the time I go on vacation on August 21st! I'm 5'1" tall and weigh 208.5 lbs currently. My goal weight is around 125 to 135, but the doctors say I should be around 105-115. Too skinny for me!

People who have more weight to lose generally will lose faster than those who have less to lose. I've lost 34 pounds (including pre-op loss) in the last 7 weeks. Some people lose more, some less. I made myself a table/graph. Then you enter your own starting weight and make additional pages as needed to have enough blocks for pounds and weeks needed to get to your goal. Tape the pages together, then take a ruler and a pencil and mark a line for the weight loss that would equal 1 pound a week, another line that would equal 2 lbs a week, and a third line that will equal 3 pounds a week. Then for every pound you lose, use a red marker to plot your weight loss. It is very encouraging to plot your progress and the table lets you compare your weight loss to your pencil lines and predict where you will be at various points. I figured that I would lose a minimum of 3 pounds a week for the first couple months because even with a Weight Watcher type of diet, you could predict that your weight loss would be 1-2 pounds per week, so it's reasonable to assume that you would lose more in the initial weeks after this surgery. If you want me to email you the graph pages let me know.

That would be great, thanks. I'm not sure how to do it though... is my email on my profile? guess I'd better take some time to read the how to section.