Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does my stomach react to sweet things?

At 3 months out, I've been pleased and thankful that I haven't had any food intolerances, I can eat anything I want, and my tastebuds didn't change. Of course some things "feel" better than others, like Protein and veggies obviously go down easier than bread or potatoes. And nothing has ever gotten stuck or made me throw up. However, I've always wondered why I get this weird feeling in my stomach if I eat anything sweet, even fruit. I wouldn't call it a spasm, but more of a churning or a jumping, and then it feels sort of airy and sometimes I'll get that gurgly burp. I know I shouldn't be eating anything sweet anyway, but I've been so curious about why it causes such a reaction. Anyone else get this or know what it means?

It's dumping. Sadly, you can get dumping syndrome with VSG, too.

I'm mildly annoyed by this fact, because NOT having dumping was one of the things that attracted me to VSG over gastric bypass.

It's dumping. Sadly, you can get dumping syndrome with VSG, too.

I'm mildly annoyed by this fact, because NOT having dumping was one of the things that attracted me to VSG over gastric bypass.

I'm not sure how we can have classic dumping sydrome considering we have a pyloric valve. That's why RNY patients dump, they don't have one and the sugars/carbs dump directly into the intestines and cause the dumping symptoms. They also don't have a remnant stomach for the food to dump into like band patients and that's why band patients don't dump. They have a pyloric valve like we do. Our stomachs are anatomically changed by size only, not the mechanics of the organ. I'm not trying to argue just simply stating my understanding of our chosen surgery.

I've eaten up to 4 Snickers miniatures, 1/2 cup of Reese's Peanut Butter cup Ice cream, 1/2 of strawberry shortcake with vanilla ice cream, and about a 1/4 of that sinfully delicious cookie sundae thing at Chili's, ya know the one with caramel and hot fudge all over it. I've never had any issues eating any of that stuff, and definitely didn't have any dumping symptoms.

Dumping symptoms are rapid heartrate, vomiting, the shakes, fatigue, diarrhea, and sometimes headache, flushing, cold sweats. It's pretty volatile from what I've witnessed with my friends in real life with RNY that actually dump.

I only got that feeling when I wasn't on a PPI. I got it every time I ate and it didn't matter what it was that I ate.

I get the airy gurgley burp thing too. Mine isn't food specific, but I notice it based on how quickly I am eating. I am still horrible about speed. I think I'm going slow enough sometime and then quickly realize, I'm not.

Thanks, Tiff. I didn't think dumping sounded quite right. Today I had a few grapes and got the gurgly burpies right away. I take Pepcid every day and tried switching to Prevacid once but didn't notice any difference. I suppose I could try Nexium.

Does it sound to anyone like some sort of glucose or insulin reaction that's happening? I stopped eating fruit because I get so hungry right after eating it, and I thought that might be an insulin response of some kind. I was never diabetic, but maybe I've developed something, I don't know.

Have they ever checked you to see if you are having spasms?

Have they ever checked you to see if you are having spasms?

I didn't know you could be checked for that, but I will ask! Is there a solution for spasms? Is that from stomach acid?

Tiff, I have definitely dumped. It doesn't happen nearly as much as it did when I was first sleeved. I asked the dr. about it and he said that it's because our stomachs are so small that the sugar enters our bloodstream a lot faster. I had all the symptoms that you described and it's horrible. The worst time was when I had a piece of wedding cake that had thick frosting on it.

I don't know if that is what is going on with mb20mom because the sensations she is describing are not the same.

I think you should describe it to your doctor MB20Mom.

I remember Vegas Angel talking about it and I think if they do a swallow test on you they can see if that is whats going on. I don't know what the treatment would be.

I'm not sure how we can have classic dumping sydrome considering we have a pyloric valve. That's why RNY patients dump, they don't have one and the sugars/carbs dump directly into the intestines and cause the dumping symptoms. They also don't have a remnant stomach for the food to dump into like band patients and that's why band patients don't dump. They have a pyloric valve like we do. Our stomachs are anatomically changed by size only, not the mechanics of the organ. I'm not trying to argue just simply stating my understanding of our chosen surgery.

All I know is that my surgeon specifically told me that dumping DOES happen to a percentage of VSG patients.

I don't understand the mechanism either, but I'm inclined to trust my surgeon's word :001_smile:

Since my sleeve surgery I've tried a couple of bites of ice cream on two occasions and a sugar cookie on another. I got terribly nauseated both times. I CAN eat fruit or even a piece of dark chocolate with no problems. But I got that feeling you described when I tried to drink some coke one day too, so I'm just staying away from all those things. It's not worth the horrible feelings and I don't need them anyway.

I did a little research and most of what I read concurs with Tiffykins response -- the conventional wisdom is that there IS no dumping with VSG.

However, stomach transit time is dramatically reduced with VSG (which is one reason why alcohol can affect us so strongly). Dumping isn't just the result of no pyloric valve, it's the result of basically zero transit time into the intestines for the RNX crowd. If our stomachs empty super-fast post-VSG, we could get all of the symptoms of dumping, even with an intact pyloric sphincter. So I think it's possible that there could be a bit of "dumping lite" with VSG.

Of course, we're not SUPPOSED to be eating high-sugar foods or drinking alcohol, so you could argue that even this "dumping lite" might be a blessing in disguise, forcing us to eat healthier!

Again, I'm not a doctor, just going off of what my surgeon told me.

Edited by ouroborous

That is what my dr. told me too. I had all those horrible symptoms and he said it was from the stomach being so small that things don't stay in there very long and it feels the same as dumping.

All I know is that my surgeon specifically told me that dumping DOES happen to a percentage of VSG patients.

I don't understand the mechanism either, but I'm inclined to trust my surgeon's word :thumbup1:

Just to clarify, I was not implying that your surgeon is lying or that you shouldn't trust him.

I believe this is going to fall under the same category of "per my surgeon" kind of like the soda post sleeve thing, or pre op/post op diet guidelines.

Only 30% of RNY patients dump, so maybe we can hope that percentage will be considerably less with VSG.

I did a little research and most of what I read concurs with Tiffykins response -- the conventional wisdom is that there IS no dumping with VSG.

However, stomach transit time is dramatically reduced with VSG (which is one reason why alcohol can affect us so strongly). Dumping isn't just the result of no pyloric valve, it's the result of basically zero transit time into the intestines for the RNX crowd. If our stomachs empty super-fast post-VSG, we could get all of the symptoms of dumping, even with an intact pyloric sphincter. So I think it's possible that there could be a bit of "dumping lite" with VSG.

Of course, we're not SUPPOSED to be eating high-sugar foods or drinking alcohol, so you could argue that even this "dumping lite" might be a blessing in disguise, forcing us to eat healthier!

Again, I'm not a doctor, just going off of what my surgeon told me.

I agree with the motility/transit time. But, look at the consistency of the foods discussed here that caused those issues. At 5 months out, I could have 1 glass of wine, and I was pretty well toast. Now, give me about 4-5 heavy poured rum/cokes, and I might catch a buzz. I do not drink on a regular basis. I might have a glass of wine once a week. By glass, I mean 4oz of a nice Riesling. So, it's not like I've been knocking them back and have built my tolerance back up. It's just different now for me.

Obviously, liquids (ice cream/alcohol) are going to hit our intestines faster, and that's where the absorption of glucose occurs. Since it's liquid sugar hitting our intestines, I'm sure some of our bodies are gonna be pissed off. Luckily, I haven't had those issues.

So, for me, I can see how the liquid sugars could hit the intestines quicker and cause dumping symptoms because there is very little digestion of sugars by the stomach when they hit the pyloric valve. Plus, our sleeves are much smaller than that big ole stomach we had before surgery that allowed all that ice cream to sit in there for a bit before moving on as quickly.

If we saw consistency of dumping with carbs (these stick around a little longer in our tummies), or other high glycemic index foods, I think it make more sense to me. Again, let me say that I'm not arguing, just giving my thoughts on the subject.

Also, if we look at people that discuss the dumping symptoms or nausea, it's with liquid sugars, cake icing, ice cream causing these symptoms.

Now, I'm all interested to find out if DS patients have this issue with dumping. I mean they have the sleeve, a little rerouting, and some switching going on. So, I'll talk to a few of the DS'ers that I know on OH, and find out. The little bit I do know about DS, they do not dump based on the same theory that the sleeve keeps the pyloric valve intact.

That is what my dr. told me too. I had all those horrible symptoms and he said it was from the stomach being so small that things don't stay in there very long and it feels the same as dumping.

Do you dump every time? Do you dump on carbs? Like pizza crust, potatoes, other carbs? I know we've talked about your issues with ice cream and some super sweet slider food stuff, but I don't remember if you get the same symptoms with carbs or maybe fruit? Does regular milk cause you issues as well?

Regular milk gives me gas pains and diarrhea. I can one scoop of ice cream but anymore than that, it's the same thing.

It's not the same for me now that I have been sleeved for a year. It used to be sugar and fat would cause me problems, now I would have to pretty much pig out on a huge portion to feel that same heart racing, nausea along with the diarrhea. It's weird.

It rarely happens anymore.