Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some help with a 400 calorie daily intake

Hi everyone! I have been reading a lot of posts and have decided that I am eating far too many calories. Can someone give me ideas of what I can eat to stick to between 400 and 600 calories per day? I am an Aussie so there may be some things that I don't know about like refried Beans? ? and grits?? Also my Protein Shake has 208 calories. Does this sound about right? Thanks in advasnce for all of your help. I really couldn't do this without you all :o

Hi, I eat a lot of seafood. . I hardly have starches. . and I certainly don't eat potatoes, rice, Pasta, or bread (has to be very very toasted almost burned) . . .I enjoy a very large array of seafood and it goes down really well. . .also chicken and turkey (mostly chicken, turkey is kinda tough) and NO beef! too fiberous might hurt tummy. . . some veggies, brussel sprouts, eggplant, lentils, Beans. . . I find that green peas, carrots, and corn are not very easily accepted by my tummy at all. . .come straight up. . . I also have melba toast, sf Jello, puddings, and popsicles. . . yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, string cheese, pepperjack cheese and chedder. . . lots of cheese. . .I've done take out food, but it's too much and i don't like to eat the same food for days on end. . .i enjoy homemade Soups too. . . good luck, hope this helps!

Don't worry about calorie counts. Worry about nutrition and getting enough Protein. You can be malnourished when you're eating 10,000 calories a day. You can be well nourished at 500 calories a day (although it takes alot of planning and research).

Why so low on the caloric intake? 400 seems a bit extreme. I was only able to get in about that early out of surgery and I felt like I was not getting in enough nutrition.

If your doc wants you to watch your calorie count, the Unjury Protein Shakes are 20 g Protein and 100 calories. (If made with water) I've been a slow recoverer (is that even a word?) anyway, they are light and easy to get down when everything else feels heavy.

I agree that 400 calories are not enough.If you watch your carbs and eat lean meat and veggies, you don't have to keep your calories that low.

I don't know what Protein drink you're using, but all of mine are aroudn 125 140 calories.

Thanks everyone. My calorie intake sits at around 800 and after reading a lot of posts I thought this was too high. Looks like I was wrong. I am in Australia and our Protein Shakes appear to be different. They are all pretty high in calories and don't fill me for long. Problem is that most of our surgeons use a 36 to 40 boughie so we can eat a lot more. I am feeling hungry a lot and can eat 250ml at a time. I am taking Nexium and hoping it all settles down soon. I hope this makes sense because I am really tired. My two beautiful children have hand, foot and mouth. They can't eat and are struggling to drink. They are 4 and 7 so it's not very nice :001_huh:

Thanks everyone. My calorie intake sits at around 800 and after reading a lot of posts I thought this was too high. Looks like I was wrong. I am in Australia and our Protein shakes appear to be different. They are all pretty high in calories and don't fill me for long. Problem is that most of our surgeons use a 36 to 40 boughie so we can eat a lot more. I am feeling hungry a lot and can eat 250ml at a time. I am taking Nexium and hoping it all settles down soon. I hope this makes sense because I am really tired. My two beautiful children have hand, foot and mouth. They can't eat and are struggling to drink. They are 4 and 7 so it's not very nice :thumbup:

Sorry about your children...looks like you have a lot to contend with at this time. I hope that they recover quickly.

I just want to mention that my boughie is a 40...and I was so relieved when my surgeon told me! I'm 7 months out now and my restriction is still (by comparison to pre-surgery), huge. I can not eat much more than around 4oz of dense Protein, like chicken, or steak, even cheese, in one sitting. I am able to get in a bit more if it's a yogurt or very soft/mushie type food. It still freaks me out a little.:001_huh:

Sorry about your children...looks like you have a lot to contend with at this time. I hope that they recover quickly.

I just want to mention that my boughie is a 40...and I was so relieved when my surgeon told me! I'm 7 months out now and my restriction is still (by comparison to pre-surgery), huge. I can not eat much more than around 4oz of dense Protein, like chicken, or steak, even cheese, in one sitting. I am able to get in a bit more if it's a yogurt or very soft/mushie type food. It still freaks me out a little.:crying:

Thanks LAN2k....

My boughie is a 40 too. I was worried after reading everyones posts because I can eat everything (within reason because it's still early days for me). I have never vomited nor felt the need. I can easily drink 250ml Water at a time without having to sip. It's reassuring to know that you have successfully lost weight with the 40, although I think maybe I can eat a little more than you before I am full? I don't overeat and I am eating healthy high Protein foods. I guess I am just doing what I do best....worry. I have been worried that I am going to fail :) but I will use you as my inspiration :lol0:

Thanks. Consider yourself lucky that you can eat a bit more, comfortably. Believe me your sleeve won't allow you to over-do it. What's important (and I'm learning), are your food choices. I have found that refined carbohydrates, like cake, Cookies, chips, crackers, etc. are eaiser to eat but foods such as these are not the foods that you will lose weight with. Tonight it took me 35 minutes to eat a few broccoli florets and a 4 oz piece of white roughy filet (fish). My mother looked at my plate after she was done with hers and said (I don't know why I even cooked you eat nothing!) That I eat like this is such a change from before I had the sleeve. She ate more like an 8oz piece of fish at least a cup of broccoli and a large baked potato w/butter. I couldn't eat like that if I was paid to. Also get out there and excercise. I plan on riding my bicycle as soon as the weather in NY warms up! It's still so cold outside.

I don't like to cook, so I favor meals that are simple. Some examples:

-fat-free refried Beans and shredded cheese melted in microwave with salsa

-taco meat with cheese and salsa (buy a fresco burrito or soft taco at taco bell and don't eat the tortilla)

-cottage cheese

-Protein bar

-scrambled eggs with cheese and dash of soy milk to make them fluffy

-tuna salad

-chicken salad

I agree, 400 calories a day is way too few. My nutritionist recommended 1200, which is about 400 for three meals.

Also, refried Beans are just pinto beans cooked until their are soft, then mashed with a bit if chili power, or cumin if you prefer.

For us here in the states they come in a can in the ethnic(mexican) section of the store.

They are pretty satisfiying, plus they give you Protein and Fiber at the same time.

Great with a little cheese and salsa.

I dont know Melly, but it seems in Australia (I have a band and am extrapolating a little here) we just dont have the same rules. Our doctors dont tend to advise such low carb regimes, they're more about 3 sensible meals from all food groups and just try to eat "normally" in small portions.

If you have a GNC near you, their Protein shakes are better than the stuff you'll find in the supermarkets but you may have to look for a low carb one since if you read lables, all the Musashi stuff for example, has something like 30 grams of sugar for a serving.

We ahve refried Beans here though, Old El Paso, yellow can in the supermarket with all the other mexican foods.

I cant imagine that any doctor would recommend 400 calories a day! There's no need to go that low.

My doctor recommended around 800 calories a day while I am still losing weight. Like Journey - I also don't like to cook much. Plus, my husband eats at work in the employee dining room, so it's usually just me. I use GNC Protein Drinks (the ones in the red bag) and they are just over 100 calories - for Breakfast, I mix one in with my coffee because I can't handle the rich, sweet flavors - they gag me. For lunch, I eat Soup almost every day. I get either the Progresso or Harvest Select LIGHT - these range from 100-160 calories for the entire can (technically two servings). I buy many different varieties to help stave off boredom. For dinner, I buy the precooked chicken breasts and steamer vegetables - so that ranges from 210-260 calories depending on which veggie mix I buy and they take less than 5 minutes to prepare. I usually have a snack of fruit (I go for frozen strawberries/blueberries or fresh if in season) - this is around 100 calories. I also really like to snack still - uggh - but I get the 100 calorie bags of popcorn, which is way healthier than chips. Sticking with a very similar meal plan helps me stay on track. I do well with a plan and consistency. It also allows me a little wiggle room if we want to have a drink or go out for dinner now and then. Personally, I don't think 400 calories is realistic or healthy - your body probably won't tolerate it very long. Good luck!