Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight after surgery

Heck, I gained 1/2 pound this week and only lost 4 pounds for Month 2 post-op.

I keep my calories between 500 and 600, haven't eaten over 30 carbs a day since surgery and get most of my Protein from food sources with an occasional Protein shake thrown in. I haven't had rice, potatoes, bread, crackers, Pasta etc since pre-op. My meals are all chicken, turkey, shrimp or fish based. I also eat 1 Morningstar Veggie Sausage patty for Breakfast occasionally. Occasionally I eat 4-6 oz of plain greek yogurt for a meal, or 1/3 cup of cottage cheese. I rarely eat eggs as I'm allergic to them. I've had a tiny tangerine 3 times in the last month and a tablespoon of pineapple packed in it's own juice 3x. I eat three times a day and never snack as required by my program. I walk several times a week and swim 1x a week.

When I used to do Atkins, eating the lower fat version, I'd have difficulty losing weight. I guess this is why my doc recommended the surgery.

So folks, it's possible to track every bite of food, exercise and still gain weight post-op. I figure something has to give. I'm open to advice and suggestions to get this party started.

This is going to sound weird to you, but it sounds like you need to eat more calories! Your stall could be due to to lack of proper amount of nutrition--I say this because you also say you exercise. If you burn 300 calories exercising and additional calories over the day because of the exercise toll on your body then you have to fuel the machine! Your body is likely in starvation mode and trying hold onto everything it can and to rebuild your deplentished glycogen stores. As this happens they body will try to hold onto Water as well. If you are burning allot of calories exercising then get up to 1200-1500 calories with 60% from protein. Edit: if you are just exersizing a little then lower that number and then adjust to what feels right for you from there.

One option is to shock your metabolism some--go two days on great pure food get up to 2000 calories. Pure whole foods and shake supplements to get you there and not junk. This may be what you need to jump start the burning process.

Another important fact is that certain nutrients help our bodies metabolize fat--if you are missing them then you will always loose slower. Just one example: Medical studies showed that a lack of Vitamin D will slow weight loss dramatically. You also need healthy fat intake to help with fat metabolism healthy fats that give Omega 3 etc. Of course there are medical conditions that can also hinder weight loss like Thyroid issues. All of this is to say make sure you have a Doc or nutritionist checking your blood for nutrician levels.

Recommended article Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

Edit: Just to add 2 more things

1. Stress can slow your weight loss down

2. Lack of proper sleep will also slow it down.

I know this is allot of info coming from a fat guy pre-sleeve here. But I am an expert at loosing weight :) --just have not been able to keep it off long term. As a software support engineer I always get the technical details and troubleshoot problems and have learned what works and what doesn't through the years. Don't know whats worse though being uniformed and fat or completely knowledgeable and fat :) --Like a Mechanic with a broken car! I am so ready to rock this sleeve and keep the weight off too (the one part I always failed at)

Edited by Swiftflow

Lee, I was exactly where you were. I went 5 wks without losing anything and thought I was going to go nuts...I was religiously monitoring every morsel, carb, cal and fat gram but nothing would move. It seems like once I relaxed and started eating more cals (from 500, 600 to 800) and increased my carbs the weight started pouring off! I've lost 9 to 11 lb a wk for the past 3 wks with no signs of slowing down. I should've known better, Atkins/ South Beach never worked for me pre-sleeve so for me the answer seems to be a more well balanced diet.

Swiftflow, I'm going to look to you for all the technical advice from now on. Thanks so much for posting all this great information! I'm really excited that you have a surgery date. You guys always rock the weight loss. I can't wait to follow your success story! :)

Lee, I was exactly where you were. I went 5 wks without losing anything and thought I was going to go nuts...I was religiously monitoring every morsel, carb, cal and fat gram but nothing would move. It seems like once I relaxed and started eating more cals (from 500, 600 to 800) and increased my carbs the weight started pouring off! I've lost 9 to 11 lb a wk for the past 3 wks with no signs of slowing down. I should've known better, Atkins/ South Beach never worked for me pre-sleeve so for me the answer seems to be a more well balanced diet.

Mistiblu, your post is so positive for me. It really resonates for me. I think I'm scared to up my calories because every diet has always stressed being as low cal/carb as possible. I'm going to go eat dinner and not worry if my calories are a little higher for the day than they've been. I'm not eating bad carbs, just the good ones so I'll relax if they go up to 40 and just see what happens. I've been keeping myself oh so positive about all this but today really started feeling a little demoralized.

Thanks thanks thanks!

Lee,

I have no great advice, just want you to know how much your posts mean to me. And please don't forget FOURTY TWO POUNDS in just two months! What? That is amazing!!!!! You are a freaking rock star! Don't discount the success you have had because all the things you want haven't come just yet, they will.

Hey Anna, you're such a doll and such a delight to share this forum with. I wish I had shed all of those pounds in two month. I was 249 last year and had surgery at 229 so only 22 pounds have come off in two months. I try to remember that I'm one of the older ones and maybe it will just take a little longer, but I have complete confidence that it will all happen for me. :tongue_smilie:

Well still, eleven lbs a month is NOTHING to sneeze at. If you did that for six more months you'd be far beyond goal. Halloween! Goal by Halloween. That is simply amazing.

Thanks cutie! My goal is by my birthday the first week of October. I'm upping my exercise to try to get there. I WILL make it! :(