Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Arrivals, Let's get to know each other!

Well, I went to the seminar today and decided that this is definitely what I want to do. I felt very happy because they said that my insurance usually goes through without any problems and fairly quickly...quickly meaning a few months as opposed to a year or more, that is a relief! Now I just start the process with my patient advocate, so here I go! I am sure that I will be in here a lot, asking questions, and counting down until I can finally become one of you! I looked at the *example* patient that they had speak to us, who has lost 76 pounds since September and thought to myself that I cannot wait until I am at the same place he is. Wow...I am so excited!

By the way...how do you post those ticker things that all of you have?

Okay...what is the barium swallow? *LOL* :)

Baruim is some type of liquid metal? It tastes chalky and yucky, mine was kind of peppermint-y, but you swallow it and they take an x-ray of your band to make sure the baruim goes through the band...and you are not blocked. You can't go home if you can't swallow liquids.< /p>

Hello Sparkey1955, I am 6 wks off surgery had it done in san antonio, My experience was wonderful since i was nervous this was my fisrt surgery, But all good so far, GOOD LUCK!!!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Pugchick:

I'm from NWIndiana and work in Bedford Park, IL. I'm going to TJ tomorrow morning to be banded and unfortunately I haven't found a doctor willing to do fills for other patients.

Have you checked into any in IL? I'd rather not take another trip to Mexico if I can avoid it!

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Okay...what is the barium swallow? *LOL* :)

Here's a link that describes it completely: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/barium_swallow/article_em.htm

I had to do a barium swallow as part of my pre-op testing. They took xrays of me swallowing to see if there were any issues. Apparently my surgeon has done the lapband and then found out post-op that people had issues with swallowing so he does it as a preventative measure.

Nobody else had this done pre-op? :cry At least I'm prepared for my first fill! LOL! :P I'm only two weeks post-op so I have another month to go till then.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">

Hi Tribon,There is a doctor who does fills on Mexico banded folks in Downers Grove. His name is Dr Joseph Vitello. I have heard he is a good doctor. You can only contact him through his email:<TABLE style="WIDTH: 93pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=124 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 93pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4534" width=124><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 93pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=124 height=17>Jvituic@comcast.net</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>But, he got right back to me when I contacted him with questions. He charges $150 and the hospital charges $125. Not bad compared to a ticket to Mexico!

I just realized you are probably on a plane right now! :high5: Good luck!!

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just something I heard from some patients in Mexico coming in for a fill... They were saying that it is wise to go back to Mexico to your original Dr. for your first fill. First of all they know you from doing your surgery and second, they do it with flouroscopy and try to fill to where they feel will be your "sweet spot". I hear the American Dr.s like to do many "little" fills to work up to your "sweet spot".

I am 4 days post op and feeling great. I would recommend Dr Ortiz and his crew in a heart beat. They were Awesome!!!

Good luck to all of you!

Chako,

Thanks for your reply. I was kinda wondering if the doctors in the US would be too conservative. I will have to talk to my doctor about this when I go for the surgery.