Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oral Contraceptives - B.C. Pills

I read that B.C. pills don't work as well after being sleeved. This seems odd to me because there are not supposed to be any absorption issues BUT... this is one fire I don't want to play with. What have your surgeons told you? Should I be concerned?

Av

I was told to use two types of BC for the first year. I'm not sure if that's because the oral BC becomes less effective or because they strongly suggest you wait at least two years before becoming pg.

I've always heard that being obese can decrease the effectiveness of hormonal BC. I was told to go on BC pills, but I refuse to use hormonal BC at all.

Maybe post this questions in the Dr. Jossart forum, and he'll get back to you with an actual medical reply.

My surgeon told me I could use oral hormonal birth control but that I should really discuss it with my pcp...

After 3 years of infertility I don't want to go back on the pill so DH and I are going to use condoms.

If you have to use 2 forms of birth control for a year after surgery why even go on hormonal birth control??

I know from being on it in the past it messes with my weight and hunger.

I decided it wasn't worth it. i'm not willing to take any risks so I opted for an IUD and got rid of my oral contraceptives.

@ tiff why did u wanna use b/c... just wondering i just started to take them again... and wondering if maybe u know something i dont...lol

Anyone have experience with Seasonale? I mean in general, not necessarily related to WLS. I'm about to start back on a low dose pill, but I'm intrigued by the idea of 4 periods a year. I would love to hear from someone who's been on it for a year or so. How are your periods? Is there alot of breakthrough bleeding and how bad is it? Did it cause you to gain weight or slow your weightloss?

I believe Seasonale has become Seasonique just in case that creates a problem in you finding it as I have been on both and was changed to Seasonique. I was told they didn't make Seasonale anymore.

I had zero problems with either BC. No spotting, no cramping. I totally loved 4 OR LESS periods each year. The majority of the time I would skip the "reminder pills" and just take the regular active pills continually pack after pack with no problems. My doctor knew I was doing this and face it any period you get while on the pill isn't a period it's withdrawal bleeding.

All was great with Seasonique and I was planning on staying on it longterm until I went menopausal or got fixed. That was until of course I had this surgery. Now I am constantly spotting and having cramps. It's acting like I'm missing pills which I know is not the case.

I called the doc that prescribed it and she wants me on Mirena IUD. I've had that before and hated it. I was told my periods were all but disapear which was kinda the case. I didn't have a period on Mirena I just spotted or bled the entire 5 months it was in place. I was told to wear a tampon 24/7 if it bothered me to spot. Well hell yeah it would bother anyone to spot for 5 months! Eventually, I got tired of it and pulled a little too hard and out it (the Mirena) came! So yeah I removed it myself with no complications only a raised browl from my doctor.

I have to get back into the doc and I guess give into it and get the Mirena. I wish someone would have warned me about this when I was deciding on surgery. This is one of the many reasons I didn't want Gastric Bypass. I'm just really unhappy about giving up such a great pill.

I believe Seasonale has become Seasonique just in case that creates a problem in you finding it as I have been on both and was changed to Seasonique. I was told they didn't make Seasonale anymore.

I had zero problems with either BC. No spotting, no cramping. I totally loved 4 OR LESS periods each year. The majority of the time I would skip the "reminder pills" and just take the regular active pills continually pack after pack with no problems. My doctor knew I was doing this and face it any period you get while on the pill isn't a period it's withdrawal bleeding.

All was great with Seasonique and I was planning on staying on it longterm until I went menopausal or got fixed. That was until of course I had this surgery. Now I am constantly spotting and having cramps. It's acting like I'm missing pills which I know is not the case.

I called the doc that prescribed it and she wants me on Mirena IUD. I've had that before and hated it. I was told my periods were all but disapear which was kinda the case. I didn't have a period on Mirena I just spotted or bled the entire 5 months it was in place. I was told to wear a tampon 24/7 if it bothered me to spot. Well hell yeah it would bother anyone to spot for 5 months! Eventually, I got tired of it and pulled a little too hard and out it (the Mirena) came! So yeah I removed it myself with no complications only a raised browl from my doctor.

I have to get back into the doc and I guess give into it and get the Mirena. I wish someone would have warned me about this when I was deciding on surgery. This is one of the many reasons I didn't want Gastric Bypass. I'm just really unhappy about giving up such a great pill.

Thanks for the info Carrie. I have heard of Seasonique and figured they were related in some way. I'm definitely going to ask about Seasonique when I go for my followup in a few months. I was a little nervous to start with that since I haven't taken BC pills in 6 or 7 years.

I also have noticed a change in my cycle post WLS, so I'll be interested to see what happens when I go back on the pill I used to take years ago. There's no telling what's going to happen. My PMS and cramping has increased significantly after this surgery. I hope it works well enough to keep my cycle regular. That's what I really want. I'm tired of counting weeks and keeping up with when it will start. I figure the few extra pounds it used to keep on me won't matter now that I've had WLS. :thumbup:

I used Seasonale until just before I had surgery with no problems. I had no spotting and really loved the 4 cycles a year. I had heard mixed reports on oral contraceptives after surgery so I opted for an IUD. I got the Mirena in March and haven't looked back. Now instead of a 2-3 day period every 4 months i have gone to a 1 day period about once a month. So it was a pretty fair trade. Good luck what ever you choose.

L

Just a warning, there's a reason why Seasonale/nique still wants you to have 4 periods a year - otherwise, you may have a buildup of endometrial tissue, which puts you at a higher risk for some diseases. Not having periods for up to 4 months was deemed safe, but if you are choosing to skip ALL your periods, I would inform your doc about it.

if you're going to get an IUD, i recommend the Paraguard. i have it and LOVE it. it's non hormonal and is good for 10 years. i also like it because antibotics will not weaken it like they do hormonal birth controls.

if you're going to get an IUD, i recommend the Paraguard. i have it and LOVE it. it's non hormonal and is good for 10 years. i also like it because antibotics will not weaken it like they do hormonal birth controls.

I asked about Paraguard and my doctor told me that it increased bleeding and cramping. Mirena is apparently used for those who have heavy bleeding problems.

@ tiff why did u wanna use b/c... just wondering i just started to take them again... and wondering if maybe u know something i dont...lol

I'm over 30, I smoke, and I have clotting disorder. I don't need to add more hormones to my already crazy system.

I've never felt "right" on them, Depo shots screwed me for life, and I just do not trust anything hormonal.

Tiffy, an honest question, not to offend you, don't know if it was raised before but, why do you smoke?? You just seem so health aware that you don't seem like the smoking type. Maybe you had to turn to something that wasn't food or did you smoke before weightloss? Just asking cause I know I have an addictive personality, and I'm not too sure yet what it's gonna be like out in the "real" world, as I'm only 7 weeks out, when I start socializing again. Am I gonna drink loads maybe? I hope not, because among other things drinking helped pile on the weight in the last 10 years. In a way I "know" I'm going to have to turn to something, I'm trying to make it exercise, let's hope, I know it won't be smoking though cause I tried to smoke so many times thinking it might make me lose weight but just makes me nauseous.