Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would appreciate advice - fearful of GERD

Hello - I am new to this site. Scheduled for surgery March 31 in AZ. I am a self pay. I have 2 concerns: I'm trying to find out much experience my surgeon has had with Gastric Sleeve - and a HUGE concern I have is reflux/GERD after this surgery. I have been on reflux medicaton for 20 years - if I'm not careful I aspirate into my lungs and so I want to get off this medication - has anyone had experience with reflux AFTER the sleeve? And also other than the surgeon telling me how many sleeves she has done - how do I really find that out? I don't meet with her until 6 days before the surgery. Since I'm a self pay I really want to get this right - this is costing me about $25K which I think is ALOT of money - and I don't want to end up with complications. Any help would be so appreciated - and oh, yeah, I'm age 64!

It's kind of weird... lots of people who never had trouble with heartburn and/or reflux before surgery experience it afterward.

On the other hand, lots of people like ME had tons of both before surgery, and not a bit of it afterwards. I mean not one single solitary moment of it. I (and many others) had a hiatal hernia discovered and repaired during surgery, and I'm sure that's got a lot to do with it. I do think that what stomach is left is producing more acid than it should because I'm having a big problem with feeling hunger.

Chances are your surgeon will put you on an acid preventer after surgery, and even if he/she doesn't you can still put yourself on one if needed.

I didn't have reflux before VSG, and now I'm on Prilosec. I won't go off of it for another 90ish days because I'm not willing to risk getting sick, or having the false hunger that I've read about other long term patients experiencing when trying to go off the PPI. I might try to wean myself off at 1 year post-op, but at the first sign of reflux or hunger, I'm going back on it.

I agree there is a mixed review of how many people suffer with reflux. Some patients are able to wean of their PPI within 3-6 months post-op without any issue.

As for researching your surgeon, have you checked out obesityhelp.com for testimonials, and you can post on the VSG board over there asking for patient's firsthand experience.

Also, you should be able to the state medical board website to check for pending or settle lawsuits just to get more background information. That's a big chunk of money to spend, the surgeon should be able to provide you with some testimonials, and be willing to offer true stats to her complications. Also, if you haven't already, find out what all aftercare that 25k covers. You will need f/u labs pulled, and possibly access to a nutritionist.

Best wishes in your research. I know there are a couple of long term sleeve patients on Obesityhelp.com that are in AZ, and they can could probably help you with AZ doctors. If you would like me to help you get in contact with them, let me know.

Tiffykins - thanks for your reply. THe surgeon I'm using in Arizona (Scottsdale) has an excelletn reputation - I just need to find out how many sleeves she has done. Yes you are correct $25K is ALOT ALOT of money but my quality of life should also improve ALOT - that's the way I look at it.

One reason I go back and forth on the sleeve vs. bypass is the data they have on the bypass is significant but not as much on the sleeve - but the sleeve sure seems to have a lot of positive going on for it. I meet with my surgeon next week and hopefully I can find out how many sleeves she has done and what her recommendation is for me. Thanks again for yoru reply - the support on this site is fantastic.

Trish, my surgeon (at Kaiser) had only done 20 before my surgery. He's had years of other weight loss surgeries, but they just started offering the Sleeve last November. There were two surgeons present in the operating room as they always work in teams. I had trust in him to give me a great sleeve. So far, no problems or complications. Tomorrow is 1 month since my surgery.

They discovered that I had a hernia during the surgery and repaired it as well. I had terrible reflux the first few nights if I wasn't raised up on enough pillows. Then the Protonix kicked in and I haven't had any problems since. I had just started to get a little heartburn in the weeks pre-op but didn't know that I had a hernia.

Lee - thanks for the information - I'm glad you are doing so well - lots of weight loss for you and only one month gone by - I know that I have a hiatal hernia - probably will be fixed during my surgery - I'm a self pay so this will probably add to my total bill. All the best to you -

thanks again for your input