Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What clothing sizes are you planning on holding onto?

Well, I'm in the middle of another mini blizzard. We have about 20" of snow outside and they say it will not end until this afternoon. Of course my body wouldn't let me sleep in past 5:30 AM, so I've been sitting here trying to plan out how I can be productive today. I've decided I will clean out my closets again...I've needed to do it for a couple of months now.

My question: what larger sizes, if any, do you plan on keeping? The last time I had a closet clean out I was a size 12-14. I kept many of the 14's that were really nice "just in case" I needed them again after I have a baby (God willing). I'm now in a size 6 (barely), 8 (some are getting pretty lose, but most fit perfectly), and 10 (for higher-end designer clothing). I'm now wondering if maybe I should let go of my 14's?

What is everyone else's plan or what have you done?

I'm getting rid of what I "undergrow" as I go down. I did "take up" some things that could have seams sewn up to make them last longer, but not am saying bye bye to them too as I approach onderland. 204 this morning...getting excited to see 100.

The only thing I've held onto are my old bras. I don't think my boobs will ever get that big again even with pregnancy, but I kept all of them.

I'm holding steady at a size 10, and have gotten rid of all of my other sizes. I did actually hold onto one of my tops, it's so big now that I can actually wear it with tights and it looks like one of those shirt dresses.

Of course, I am just starting out, but my plan is to get rid of anything that does not fit perfectly. I don't want to have any wiggle room once I get to goal. If things start feeling a bit tight, it will be time to "get back to basics".

With that being said, I don't plan on having any more babies so I don't need that wiggle room there. With my boys, I was up about 1 size after a month giving birth. So, maybe hold onto a few basic items the next size up - ones that can be mix and match, etc.

Good luck!

Congratulations Cajun...you'll be there so soon!

I think you gals have helped me make the decision to get rid of my 14's. I was on the phone with a friend for about an hour and she is about to have a baby (1 month away) and hopes to be in size 14/16 by summer time. It makes it easier now that I know next week, once we've dug out, I can drop by a lot of stuff.

I still have a hard time getting my head around the fact it's okay to get rid of the 12's...maybe because it's all stuff I bought this past fall (unlike most of the 14's that I'd had for the last decade, I was ready to say goodbye to those).

I'll keep you posted, I'm actually about to start now. I found so much other stuff in the house to waste time on throughout the morning. I think we're up to about 2 feet snowfall now...I can't wait until this is over, but at least it forces me to be productive:-)

Hey Deedee, I just walked to the Dupont Circle snowball fight, and checked it out (did not participate- not interested in getting pelted) and then came back home. I got my walking in for the day :sad0:

My plan for the clothes that I need to get rid of (which are my 12s and 14s), is to take them to a consignment store. Secondi is close to me at Dupont Circle. And since my clothes are nice, if I say so myself, I do not want to donate them, but I also don't want to have their energy in my closet. The next few dress sizes I plan on buying more thrifty store clothes until I get to goal.

One trick that I have learned is that you can wear dresses through a few sizes. I always wear dresses and tights, so I will be sticking with this.

Hey Deedee, I just walked to the Dupont Circle snowball fight, and checked it out (did not participate- not interested in getting pelted) and then came back home. I got my walking in for the day :sad0:

My plan for the clothes that I need to get rid of (which are my 12s and 14s), is to take them to a consignment store. Secondi is close to me at Dupont Circle. And since my clothes are nice, if I say so myself, I do not want to donate them, but I also don't want to have their energy in my closet. The next few dress sizes I plan on buying more thrifty store clothes until I get to goal.

One trick that I have learned is that you can wear dresses through a few sizes. I always wear dresses and tights, so I will be sticking with this.

Good for you and walking! I shoveled and feel I got my exercise in for today too:-) That's a great idea about the consignment store. I also couldn't just donate my clothes (honestly they were not all super nice, but most were) so I found friends and family that could use them and that made me feel better.

I too wear a lot of skirts and dresses and yes, I find these last multiple sizes. But I'm so bummed because the size 10 dress I ordered for like 65% off in the fall will not even stay up anymore (my ladies are pretty much gone). I'm going to have it altered but want to make sure I'm done losing weight AND inches. I got it to wear on my spring break trip in March, so I guess it's out for this year. I am keeping my dresses in sizes 8 and 10 because I think they will make excellent maternity dresses.

I folded up all my 14's. Even most of my 12's and many 10's are ready for new homes. After trying on so many things I realize I'm now a size 6-8 (although there are always exceptions). It's interesting that although my weight loss hasn't been much over the last month, I've continued to drop inches/sizes. I'll definitely take it, but a little mad at myself that I spent so much money last month at the outlets because I was only a few pounds from goal. Oh well.

DeeDee - please don't take this wrong. I really do understand the battle of what to keep and what to donate/give to friends. Especially items that we've spent a lot of money on or have memories of where we wore the item.

But, there is part of me that has to laugh. We are concerned about getting rid of our FAT clothes. :sad0: I cannot wait to be able to shop in the Misses section and not the Plus Size area. Yahoo!!!!!!!

Well, as someone who has gone through the lose, then regain, now heading on my journey to lose again, I got rid of EVERYTHING as I lost the weight before. I did hold on to a few bras, as they were so cute and I loved them, but eventually even they had to go. A cathartic and financially enhancing way to get rid of stuff is through eBay. That's what I did with almost ALL my bigger clothes. I know it's hard for those of us with a bigger booty to find nice, cute, sexy, whatever type of clothes, so I sold them at a really low price to people I knew would want/need/use them. The stuff that didn't sell, or that I just couldn't stand to look at any longer went straight to the Women's Shelter here. I figure, my loss could be someone's gain, and all ladies need something that makes them feel good, regardless of size.

Hope this helps! I plan to do this again as I start to lose! :sad0:

Edited by youknowit
man, i type too fast! ;)

DeeDee - please don't take this wrong. I really do understand the battle of what to keep and what to donate/give to friends. Especially items that we've spent a lot of money on or have memories of where we wore the item.

But, there is part of me that has to laugh. We are concerned about getting rid of our FAT clothes. :sad0: I cannot wait to be able to shop in the Misses section and not the Plus Size area. Yahoo!!!!!!!

I definitely don't take it wrong...it is pretty funny if you step back and think of it, especially compared to where I was this time last year (size 20-22). I just haven't gotten it into my head that this size is a permanent thing. I never planned on getting below an 8 (and that was supposed to be only the larger sized 8's), and then figured I'd be a 10-12 if I was blessed enough to have a baby.

I definitely don't take it wrong...it is pretty funny if you step back and think of it, especially compared to where I was this time last year (size 20-22). I just haven't gotten it into my head that this size is a permanent thing. I never planned on getting below an 8 (and that was supposed to be only the larger sized 8's), and then figured I'd be a 10-12 if I was blessed enough to have a baby.

Ain't life grand?!?!? :sad0: