Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone on antidepressant medication since the surgery?

Liz, Call your local parks and recreation Dept. Find out what classes theyoffer for free or next to free. I think you are back east so, you will know in advance what to look forward to this spring. My "senior" center here offers Tai Chi. I really like it, it is slow purposeful movements to music. Not as jazzy as Zumba, but, with my knees I cannot do jazzy. (yet) I even went to lunch at the center for $2.50. LOL Most people are older than me, but, it kinda felt like visiting my Mom. (passed 15 years ago) they play cards and have a pretty good time. I can't take too much of the place, but, 2X a week for Tai Chi is good. I still go to the gym to ride the bike vigoursly and do weights for upper body.

I am looking forward to the day when I can take up a real dance class like Oregondaisy.

I am so glad you are feeling better and better. Progress, in little steps or large, it's all about moving forward.

I've been looking at the adult education courses being given this spring in my town, for a moderate fee. I'm just up and down with motivation though. Some days are better than others. My PC crashed when the electricity blinked on and off a few times during a snow storm. I won't be able to restore it to the factory settings until HP mails me the CD's and then I'll need them to walk me through the process via the phone to get it up and running again. At the moment I'm on my mother's PC at her house. The classes sound great though, the Thai Chi, Zumba, Ballroom, and many art classes are offered. Thanks Daisy and Carolyln. I am going nuts at home without a computer!! I'm thinking of buying a lap top pronto! When my PC crashed and HP tried everything with me over the phone to get it up and running, my anxiety rose and the next day stuck inside due to the snow storm, I was crawling out of my skin stuck in an apartment that to this day does not feel like "home" with no computer and just a TV...I'm not much of a TV watcher especially days. Since my depression/anxiety I'm having a hard time reading actual books!! Oh well. I'll check back soon. I can use my phone to log on but it's pathetic and clumsey to use the keypad to reply.

I love my lap top! It's the best thing I could have bought for myself. I like that I can have it in any room of the house, and take it with me when I go out of town.

I hope you get this resolved soon.I think taking a class is a great idea. It's a great way to meet people and make new friends.

Hey Lan,

I noticed that you mentioned that all of your meds have been generic. I'm wondering if you might have better success with the brand name version of one or more of the drugs you've already tried. The one that stood out the most to me is Wellbutrin because I know several people who it's been successful for, but I've also seen some stuff on the web about people having bad experiences with the generic vs the brand name version.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no generic snob. Most of the meds I take are generic and I'm quite satisfied with them. I have experienced a significant difference between the brand and generic version of a birth control pill. The brand worked perfectly but the generic kept me nauseous most of the day and threw my cycle off. I had similar experiences with a couple of other generic versions. These are just a few of the many meds I've taken in my life, but the fact of the matter is that when you need a drug to work you need it to work right and right now. I say that all to say it might be worth it to try the brand name of any of the medications that you and your MD expected to be successful for you.

I would imagine that money is an issue for you like it is for most of us these days so I'm sure that buying brand name is easier said than done. If you choose to check out any brand name drugs, there are prescription assistance programs that can help. All doctor's offices have access to programs that supply free prescriptions but sometimes they don't offer if you don't ask. I've gotten some of my mom's meds this way before her Medicare kicked in. I also got some others for her through online applications for free meds. Some are through the manufacturer and some through 3rd parties.

I hope that things continue to get better for you. I'm so excited about the idea of getting the sleeve in a few months that it's hard to imagine feeling depressed afterward. You sharing your story has really helped me keep myself grounded about the seriousness of WLS and how we need to be prepared for any outcome. Because of what you and some others have shared about your experiences after surgery, I have really embraced the counseling process that my insurance company requires before surgery. Every time I come across some major emotional aspect of WLS surgery here on the forum that I hadn't thought of before, I have spent time thinking about how I might handle that issue and I have explored it in my counseling sessions. So, thank you for sharing your experiences. I think that when it's all said and done, the fact that you have shared so much will be as helpful to you as it has been for myself and others.

Mary

I've been looking at the adult education courses being given this spring in my town, for a moderate fee. I'm just up and down with motivation though. Some days are better than others. My PC crashed when the electricity blinked on and off a few times during a snow storm. I won't be able to restore it to the factory settings until HP mails me the CD's and then I'll need them to walk me through the process via the phone to get it up and running again. At the moment I'm on my mother's PC at her house. The classes sound great though, the Thai Chi, Zumba, Ballroom, and many art classes are offered.

Zumba is a LOT of fun! It's kind of fast paced sometimes, but it's cool because there are no wrong "moves" you're just dancing and trying to keep moving. I really like it. Thai Chi I have tried also, but I'm a bit too fidgety for the pace of that class... still, I would try it. :):smile::blush::smile:

I agree that Zumba could not possibly be more fun. I absolutely love it and I am totally addicted! I even bought the official zumba clothes!

I agree that Zumba could not possibly be more fun. I absolutely love it and I am totally addicted! I even bought the official zumba clothes!

Wow, I didn't know they have ZUMBA clothes? Does it help with the class, cause I know I sweat like a mad-woman in that class, and sometimes what I've worn hasn't worked as well as I might have liked. :blushing:

Nope, doesn't help at all with that!

You can go to the zumba website. It's kind of expensive, but my zumba instructor gets a discount and passes it on to us. I have 2 zumba t shirts. For sweating, I put a wash cloth in my waist band and wipe my face with it frequently. I found that easier than running over to the corner to get my towel to wipe my face. A wash cloth takes up much less room and I can keep it right with me.

Great idea! When I do the eliptical, I keep a towel/cloth on my shoulder, but I never thought about tucking it in. :)

Hi I finally broke the bank and bought myself a "netbook" ! I'll get my desktop up and running....in due time...but for now this little netbook is kind of cool and I think I will like the portability of it. Well I'm doing alright with the Remeron generic but I often wonder if the quality is inferior to the actual Remeron. It has helped to lift the depression but not entirely and it has helped to stimulate my appetite but now I must curb my desires especially late at night whereas before taking the drug I force fed myself and ate nothing after that and my last "meal" was about 6 or 7pm the latest. Zumba does look like alot of fun but I am so lazy! I should tell you that had been part of the reason I gained weight to begin with even as a kid I was always on the sluggish side (the stuff yourself and take a nap type). Come to think of it that may have been a form of depression. Anyway I'm so glad to be back online and able to communicate with all of you again. I ate mozzarella cheee tonight around 3 oz!! and it was late about 40 minutes ago...so I'm a bit nervous to go to bed. Has anybody eaten food late at night? I was told nothing 3 hours prior to going to sleep. I hope nothing awful happens as a result because I don't know how much longer I can keep myself awake. I'm really rambling aren't I? Sorry. Thank you all for your sensitivity and feedback.

Glad to see you back online. I eat late at night sometimes and never have any issues. I sometimes don't get 3 meals in a day so eating around 10pm is my only option to get in another meal for my day.

I do drink plenty of Water before bedtime to help.

I'm glad you got your net book Lis! You deserve to do nice things for yourself!

I think as you lose weight and the depression eases up, you'll have more energy. Working out can be addicting because you will feel so good when you're done!

Glad to see you back online. I eat late at night sometimes and never have any issues. I sometimes don't get 3 meals in a day so eating around 10pm is my only option to get in another meal for my day.

I do drink plenty of Water before bedtime to help.

I read your post right before calling it a night and was relieved. I'm still drinking Vitamin Water in place of regular water 5 months out and still lost my desire for regular water but I dilute the Vitamin water with water. Thanks Tiff

I'm glad you got your net book Lis! You deserve to do nice things for yourself!

I think as you lose weight and the depression eases up, you'll have more energy. Working out can be addicting because you will feel so good when you're done!

Hi Daisy, Thanks for the encouraging words. It's snowing here and I'm in the slience of my apartment w/migrain or maybe a sinus headache. I stayed in bed late today and I'm feeling down and out. Hope to get myself out of this mode soon. I hope you are doing well. Have a blessed day.

Hey Lan,

I noticed that you mentioned that all of your meds have been generic. I'm wondering if you might have better success with the brand name version of one or more of the drugs you've already tried. The one that stood out the most to me is Wellbutrin because I know several people who it's been successful for, but I've also seen some stuff on the web about people having bad experiences with the generic vs the brand name version.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no generic snob. Most of the meds I take are generic and I'm quite satisfied with them. I have experienced a significant difference between the brand and generic version of a birth control pill. The brand worked perfectly but the generic kept me nauseous most of the day and threw my cycle off. I had similar experiences with a couple of other generic versions. These are just a few of the many meds I've taken in my life, but the fact of the matter is that when you need a drug to work you need it to work right and right now. I say that all to say it might be worth it to try the brand name of any of the medications that you and your MD expected to be successful for you.

I would imagine that money is an issue for you like it is for most of us these days so I'm sure that buying brand name is easier said than done. If you choose to check out any brand name drugs, there are prescription assistance programs that can help. All doctor's offices have access to programs that supply free prescriptions but sometimes they don't offer if you don't ask. I've gotten some of my mom's meds this way before her Medicare kicked in. I also got some others for her through online applications for free meds. Some are through the manufacturer and some through 3rd parties.

I hope that things continue to get better for you. I'm so excited about the idea of getting the sleeve in a few months that it's hard to imagine feeling depressed afterward. You sharing your story has really helped me keep myself grounded about the seriousness of WLS and how we need to be prepared for any outcome. Because of what you and some others have shared about your experiences after surgery, I have really embraced the counseling process that my insurance company requires before surgery. Every time I come across some major emotional aspect of WLS surgery here on the forum that I hadn't thought of before, I have spent time thinking about how I might handle that issue and I have explored it in my counseling sessions. So, thank you for sharing your experiences. I think that when it's all said and done, the fact that you have shared so much will be as helpful to you as it has been for myself and others.

Mary

Hi Mary, I bought a netbook and this is about the 5th time I've composed a reply to your post here! For some reason a finger hits something on he scratch pad or keyboard and it changes the page just as I'm about to post my reply! Here I go again...maybe I just need to keep this short and sweet.

Anyway I wanted to thank you so much for your thoughtful response to my thread here. I recently read a blurb in the readers digest about differences between generic and brand name drug/medications. I was not at all surprised since I have bit of suspicion. What it said was that there have been documented differences in the effects of some generic drugs and what makes them differ is the filler content used plus some other stuff. It seems that if it comes in a generic than the doctor prescribing it will not write DAW (dispense as written). Is it because insurance companies won't pay for the brand name if it can be obtained generically? I will ask my pcp next visit. My PPI is Aciphex and I get the brand name because there's no generic for it yet. It was filled and covered by my insurance so maybe the cost isn't too high...I'm going to the pharmacy today and will ask.

This board has and continues to help me because of people like you, Tiff, Daisy, and so many others...some have had smooth sailing all around and others have had to overcome tremendous obstacles and have like Tiffykins. What's remarkable to me is when a person gets through but continues to participate here to support others. So I want to commend you for being sensitive to the issues and complications that may come up for some of us having this WLS, and for having the foresight to seek council prior to and in preparation for any possible outcome. But most of all I want to wish you a very smooth and uneventful surgery and recovery. Please keep us informed as the time draws nearer to your surgery. I don't know where you live but soon it will be spring and I'm so glad. Having surgery in the winter makes it a bit harder to get out of doors. Living on LI, NY, I look forward to longer, warmer days. Thanks again Mary.