Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeons in Dallas Area

I am so excited. My husbands insurance is going to start paying for the sleeve Jan. 1st. Now i am trying to decide on a doctor. I have been to Dr Nick's semiar and support groups for a couple of months now. Now a friend of the family told be about Dr Barker also. How did anyone decided on which doctor to go to? Both seem to be on the our insurance plan(UHC). I have been reading all these forums for weeks now, i really want to do this right away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin0:

I'm using Dr. Hamn in Plano. My insurance was UHC as well. Several others on here have used Dr Nicholson including twobluecats and barbannn. I think he may be more popular but I'm not certain. I basically am using Dr. Hamn becuase he was recommended by a co-worker who had lapband through him.

My surgery with Dr. Hamn is this Tuesday. So far he and his office has been fine. They helped get the insurance pre-approval which was a relief. I'll obviously have much more input on Dr. Hamn post surgery.

Longhorn, How long did it take you to get approval for UHC using Dr Hamn? It seems my primary doctor mentioned him also. I see my primary doctor on the 30th and was going to ask her also about doctors.

It took 2 weeks. Probably only should have taken 1 week but UHC screwed up and denied coverage with the first request. The doctor office resubmitted the request and it was correctly approved on the 2nd try.

Oh my great. was there any of this pre qualifications I seen everyone talking about? Can if possiblity be that easy. I have been researching and reading all about this every since I found out in October that my husbands insurance was going to start covering it starting Jan 1st. I have been counting the days till Jan 1st. UHC would not tell me anything until Jan 1 about anything about whether or not there was any pre stuff like 6 month diet,m 5 year weight history, etc. so I am going this week to my primary and getting the 5 year history just in case. I sure hope there is no 6 month diet thing. So what does Dr Hamn require? I am open to any and all the information you would share. Does he require the 2 week liquid diet i have been reading about, etc. I have so many questions. Thank you

I've been researching some Texas surgeons as well because my husband may get orders to Lackland AFB. I refuse to the bariatric program at Lackland due to poor reviews.

My top choice is Dr. Nick, 2nd choice is Dr. Kim (in Colleyville), and Dr. Audencio Alanis (in Houston).

Dr. Nick, and Dr. Kim have amazing reputations, and both have low complication stats. Also, just from the patient's testimonies on this board (along with testimonies on OH) of Dr. Nick wins hands down as my first choice. My family lives in the D/FW area so this would be a win/win for me.

I'm already post-op, but I need a great follow-up surgeon, and haven't found a surgeon near Lackland that would take me on as patient for follow-up care if needed, nor did I find any of the local bariatric surgeons that would accept our Tricare Prime insurance. I have to change my insurance over to Tricare Standard so I can see any surgeon of my choosing.

Dr. Barker did my lapband March 2006 and will do my revision to VSG on January 8, in addition to removing my gall bladder. Everyone at his office is very nice and helpful. Some of them have had WLS, so they have first hand knowledge of what you'll be going through. I feel he did a very good job with my band surgery, and the follow-up care was great.

His lobby is super comfy with nice, large leather chairs and a flat screen TV. When I originally had my lapband, his staff helped me find a lower price by doing it at a smaller hospital, which was wonderful since I was self-pay. All in all I have no complaints and would recommend him to anyone. He's got a LOT of experience and has done several thousand WLS procedures with almost NO complications (they will give you all the numbers if you call and ask them). Good luck with your decision!

shylady,

I had no pre-qualifications required other than that I was diagnosed as morbidly obese (>40 BMI). But I think this is more benefit plan specific than doctor specific. You should review the details of your benefit plan coverage through UHC. I have seen where some UHC customer plans required 6 month proof of supervised weight loss programs.

Although I'm using Dr. Hamn I agree with Tiffykins response about Dr. Nick. He sure seems to have more people on this forum that have used him. That's about all I know about Dallas doctors.

Tomorrow is my day. I certainly hope and believe Dr. Hamn will do a good job for me. But will have many more opinions in a few days I'm sure.

Good luck to you!

Longhorn -

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I'll me praying for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery. Keep us posted when you can.

Thanks Linda, it is appreciated.

I've read many of your posts and it sounds like the sleeve has been so great for you. I only hope my results are similar to yours. You seem to have adjusted so smoothly and can eat most things now. You have been an encouragement and confidence boost for me even though you don't know it.

Awwww Shucks! Thank you. The sleeve is AWESOME. I still have to work with my sleeve and make good choices. But the sleeve also allows me to LIVE too, in moderation. I love to eat. To go out for dinner, order appetizers, dinner, dessert...DRINK. I can still do all those things occasionally but now I just pick at my husband's plate. I started drinking martinis again at 4 months post-op. One is usually more than enough (two is my max - rarely but it has happened with no additional ill effects). Now that the Holidays are nearly over, I am getting back to a strict routine again. I have got just over 30 more pounds to go until goal. I really want it! The sleeve will help me get there. Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking about you.

Longhorn, Good luck tomorrow. I will be waiting to see how everything goes. I am so excited for you.

Thanks again everyone for all the great information.

Hello! I'm two weeks out today, and my surgeon was Dr. Nick. I loved him and his staff. I've felt welcomed and in good hands throughout the experience so far. The support group at Baylor Plano is great too!

I have finally decided, I am going with Dr Nick. He was my first choice, went and met Dr Hamn yesterday. He was nice enough. Also met with my primary doctor yesterday, she said of course the decision was mine, but she has heard great things about Dr Nick's support system and that is what I am really going to need. She knows me all too well. I was just afraid I was just jumping with the first one, but I feel better now. So Dr Nick's office will run it through with my insurance next week. I can not wait. Now that that is decided more questions.. The 2 week liquid diet pre op, i have heard and read several things, is it totally liquid or is there one meal a day? I can not wait till I finally start my journey.

Congratulations on your decision. Dr. Nick's pre-op diet (in August) was 4-5 Protein drinks/bars a day and one meal of 4 oz lean protein and 1-2 cups veggies (I lived on LF chicken caesar salad for those two weeks). Clear liquid diet the evening before surgery (no real food that day). I hope this helps.