Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Year's Resolutions?

Has anyone started thinking about the resolutions they might make this year? I've just been reading through one of my favorite threads here "What do you want to do that you couldn't do before the sleeve?" trying to figure out some goals for this new year...and coming up blank. I'd love to get some ideas from others.

Some of y'all know this, but most probably don't.

I quit smoking very temporarily post-op. Then once I was home alone, recovering I started again. I quit again when I was hospitalized in July for the Fluid pockets. I came home thinking "ok, I can do this for good." Well, least to say it didn't last.

I had told myself I was going to quit on my birthday (Dec 18th). Well, guess what I'm still smoking.

I never make NY resolutions, but this year I may really try to stick to it. I've considered getting Chantix, or getting hypnotized to combat this horrible habit.

I really want to quit before we try to conceive. I know I need to, and the want is there, kind of.

This probably sounds ridiculous to some of you, but my biggest fear with quitting is that I'll eat constantly to replace the habit thus sabotage myself with my loss or heaven forbid gain weight.

Tiff,

I am an ex-smoker. I quit 5 years ago after having smoked for 17 years. I was smoking 2-3 packs of Marlboro Ultra Lights a day. I enjoyed smoking. I tried the patch, smoked with the patch on. I had friends use Chantix, and they kept smoking or started right back up after they stopped taking it.

I used Smoke Away. The Premium kit found here:

Smoke Away

I got it in January and listened to the CD for a couple of weeks in my truck while driving around. I pretty much had it memorized. They cover several different things, like why you should quit, why you are addicted to nicotine, why nicotine replacements don't work(like patch and gum), and why the drugs aren't effective long term. Most importantly the CD teaches you what your body does physically to nicotine and why you can overcome the physical addiction in 24 hours. It all made perfect sense. Finally my quit date arrived, 2/29/04. We were going on a cruise and I was going to be totally out of my element for a week solid. So I had my last cigarette on 2/28/04 about 10:30 pm and started taking the pills in the smoke away kit. I really don't think it was the herbal supplements that helped. I think it was the knowledge I was empowered with from the CD and the little sublingual pellets in the kit. Those little pellets leave the aftertaste you get from smoking in your mouth. I hit those Sunday, Monday, and by Tuesday I was using them less. By now, my sense of smell was coming back and cigarettes stunk so bad. On Wednesday I quit the pellets and had no desire to smoke at all. The real test came the next Monday when I was back in my sales route. Most of my customers smoked and they would smoke with me while I took their order. I could tolerate to be around them, but the stench bothered me a lot and reminded me that I did not want to smoke ever again. I hate cigarettes with a passion and the people who say they cannot quit are weak. If you get this program you will be instilled with that thinking and I honestly think that is why it is a very effective program, but you have to think that cigarettes are evil and only the weak cannot quit. I have put several friends and family members through the program and each and everyone of them has had the same results. You will quit if you follow this program.

Bill

Edited by WingRider

Tiff,

I don't think your worry about quitting to be ridiculous at all. I've known a couple friends to gain weight after they quit, but I've also known one person (my brother in law) who quit last spring (doctor finally got through to him, I forget what the problem was) and he started exercising and is now down 50 lbs.!!! Good luck to you and I know you know that we are all here to listen when/if things get hard and you need to vent.

I also haven't done New Year's resolutions for a few years, but mine were always pretty specific with a sort of time line attached, except the "lose weight" one that never seemed to pan out. I just seem to be in such a better state of mind and health and once again looking forward to the future, I feel like I'd really like to set some new goals.

My one and only New Years Resolution is to start college Jan 17th and NOT drop out for any reason. No matter if I have a health crisis, a financial crisis or a total mental dumb-out.

I resolve to declutter my basement, it has been a thorn in my side for years, but, with arthritic knees, had been unable (til now) to manage the stairs to haul things out! Decluttering upstairs slowly now and it is a form of taking back control, and it feels really good!

I resolve to get into an exercise routine befitting my age and my total lack of any physical fitness.

That's enough!

But will be huge for me to accomplish!

Donna:001_cool:

Tracy, that is a good resolution. One of the things that ranks higher on my best decision list than getting the sleeve, is getting my degrees.

Stoongal, I'm pretty sure my resolutions will relate to de cluttering/repairing/organizing parts of my home as well. It's sort of sad that we've now been here for 3 years and I still have paper shade blinds up and my great room is only halfway painted while the blinds and paint both sit in closets.

Tiffy, I got hypnotized on the summer solstice in 1990 after smoking a pack a day for 22 years. To date, I haven't picked up a cigarette. I really wanted to quit!

Resolutions. I generally don't make them, but if I were going to pick one, it would be to go through with the surgery this winter, then devote the rest of the year to learning my Sleeve tool, exercising and getting the weight off for the last time. I'm going to stick close to the forum and learn from the winners how to use my Sleeve for success. I'd be happy if people wanted to add me as a friend. :)

Some of y'all know this, but most probably don't.

I quit smoking very temporarily post-op. Then once I was home alone, recovering I started again. I quit again when I was hospitalized in July for the Fluid pockets. I came home thinking "ok, I can do this for good." Well, least to say it didn't last.

I had told myself I was going to quit on my birthday (Dec 18th). Well, guess what I'm still smoking.

I never make NY resolutions, but this year I may really try to stick to it. I've considered getting Chantix, or getting hypnotized to combat this horrible habit.

I really want to quit before we try to conceive. I know I need to, and the want is there, kind of.

This probably sounds ridiculous to some of you, but my biggest fear with quitting is that I'll eat constantly to replace the habit thus sabotage myself with my loss or heaven forbid gain weight.

Congratulations for making a resolution to stop smoking. I wish you lots of luck, use all the tools that you can to help you. You will never regret doing this-think of this as a way to prepare your body for a baby. You can do it!!

Kathy :cursing:

im still thinking...................The only one i use to make was lose weight i use to have a goal i would have all year and it would be to get to 250 by so and so now that i'm 6 pounds below that i'm sure i'll think of something. i could follow Donna as well though. my whole life is a big clutter! lol it overwhealming just thinking about it. And goodluck tiff you can do it. look how far you have come and tracy i finish with my master in the spring of 2010 it was a long road but it can and you will do it! You know maybe i'll spend the next year dropping hints to my BF that I'm ready to get marry? can that be a goal?? we'll both graduate so maybe we should wait a while? lol i don't know i'm still thinking dee............

xoxo,

Nikki

Edited by ryansgirl

It's always been "to lose weight"

Now it will be to work my "tool" and continue to make healthy food choices and healthy lifestyle changes.

I too plan on quiting smoking this year.. but not my New Years resolution.. I have to do it when I am "ready"

De-cluttering has been going on since my VSG.. but I want to get more organized.

I also think I am ready to let someone into my heart again....

I have been talking with someone, and I'm not going to "run them off" I am going to be patient and follow my heart.

De-cluttering, yes! I gave away 3 trash bags and 2 boxes of clothes and other stuff to goodwill yesterday, it felt great! I had been saving my "smaller" sized clothing for ages and finally decided that when I reach my goal, I am going to have too much fun shopping! (Also they were so out of date :biggrin0:) It feels good to sort, organize, and get rid of stuff!

Kathy

I just remembered....my other goal is to make it through this winter without dislocating any knees! (same knee, two dislocations last winter...within a 6 wk period).

Tiff, good luck with the quitting. I finally quit almost 2 yrs ago and gained 30 lbs! I used Chantix and a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". It took awhile to sink in, but the book talks about how you have to be joyous about your decision to quit, and not deprived, and that helped me alot. I was free, no longer a slave, and that was a happy thing, not a thing to feel deprived about. Weird, but it worked for me. And I finally understood the importance of not having "just that one cigarette" while trying to quit. That will never work.

Tiff, you've made your weight loss goal, doesn't that make you feel empowered to conquer something else like the smoking? Funny, it's because I quit that I felt empowered enough to get the weight off and have the surgery! Good luck to you, you can do it!:thumbup: