Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - Thinking of band to sleeve revision w/ Dr. Aceves

Hey everyone, first of I have to say I love this site! I have been reading the posts non-stop for about 4 days.

About myself..I got my band back in 5/07 with Dr. Aceves, I actually loved it..until about 6 months ago. For the last year I have been getting fill unfill fill unfill, anytime I would get the slightest fill I couldn't eat and I'd end up having to get an even bigger unfill. My US doctor finally tested me and told me that I have a slip and I'm going to need to get my band removed (he does lap band surgeries here in Portland so I think that he wants to do it for me) but I don't trust myself without my band, it hasn't worked for me for the last six months to a year but its like my comfort blanket and I still have 30 to 40 pounds to loose. All this being said I am thinking of going back to see Dr. Aceves for a revision, and you all have such good advise so I was wondering if I could ask you all some questions...

First, do you think I would be a good candidate for the sleeve? I am currently 160 lbs, up about 15 lbs from my lowest last year...I am concerned that he will think I am too small for a revision, but I want to do something before I gain more weight back.

Also I have been reading all sorts of things about different sleeve/bougie sizes..I am new at this so I might be wrong..but do you think I would need a smaller bougie size, like a 32f, since I am starting out at a lower weight. I read that Dr. Aceves uses a 36F bougie, do you think Dr. Aceves would go smaller for me? Or will it even make a difference?

Last question...for now..:thumbup1:..this is for people that are a little farther out. Do you still have good restriction? I did really well with the band, I had about 120 lbs to loose when I got my band and I lost about 80 in the first year and then slowly lost a little more until my band started acting up. I know I can loose the rest if I have good restriction. I am just scared that I will loose my restriction (like w/ my band) and in a couple years I will end up in the same spot.

Thank you guys for all your help! I really appreciate any responses!

~Beth

....Sorry, one more question! :thumbup1:

With my band I have thrown up a lot over the last two and a half years! When my band gets stuck I have to throw it up, even if I wait hours the food will not go down and I will end up feeling really nauseated.

What happens with the sleeve? Do you just know when you have to stop eating? Do you throw up, or does it eventually pass through?

Thanks again!

Beth

i had my sleeve done by Dr. Aceves a month ago. I know when i am full..can feel it...its almost a tightness in the esophagus...i stop and go no further! happens with solids..not with soups/ liquids etc.

k

Dr Aceves oversews so you end up with a 32 size stomach. I could not be happier with my band to sleeve revision. I had gained back 15-20 lbs from being unfilled with all the band problems. I 167 the day of my revision and I am 135 today. Eating with the sleeve is effortless now. It was a little difficult to learn how much to eat in the beginning, but living with the sleeve is the difference between night and day. Dr. Aceves is a fabulous doctor and I think you are making the right decision!

I have good restriction. I do have trouble if I eat until I am full because 20 min. later I am over full. I have learned to look at the size of portion and know what is the right amount. I have thrown up a few times while I was learning and ate too much, but it's not like a stuck feeling. It's more like you're way too full, and some of it just comes back up so you're not uncomfortable.

Edited by Oregondaisy

You're welcome. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I love my sleeve and I love it when somebody is getting a revision because living with a band is a nightmare, and people just think it's a normal way to live. It's not!

My wife has never thrown up. But, she has eaten too much and made it hurt. But, it is nothing like being stuck.

The hardest part for her has been learning not to eat too much. She is getting pretty good at it now.

The hardest part for me with the band is you can't learn anything, because it changes every day and sometime even between meals. It is very frustrating.

Nope, she didn't want the band after seeing what it was like for me. She really wouldn't have done as well with the band. Her peronality would have lended itself to just eating slider foods and making the band irrelevant.

She loves her sleeve though, and I will revise one day.

Looks like I will be revising one day sooner. On 2nd slip so as Harry Kalas used to say.. "its Out-A-Here". Looks like Band is treating you well though (or visa-versa)

Hi 4re4me

I just had my revision done 6 days ago and already I love the sleeve! I could not get in enough Water because it would come back up. Don't even get me started on food! I can now drink any liguid hot or cold with no problems, and I don't have to sip. I actually had some refried Beans today and the sleeve tells you when you have had enough! I had 4 small bites, had a little discomfort. Then I tried the 5th and had a little pain. Time to stop, that is how easy it is! I had read that is how other peopl know when to quit, and sure enough that is it.

Get the sleeve, you will love it.

Bernadette

I had my band done by Dr. Aceves on Jan 21, 2008 and had already a major slip and got unfilled however when I spoke to Dr. Aceves about getting the lap band redone he told me that he doesn't suggest this as he usually does the sleeve for these types of issues.

I am now 30 weeks pregnant (and only gained 4 lbs) and about 184 lbs and am considering getting the surgery done about six months after I have my baby with Dr. Aceves.

Your posts have all really helped make my decision.

I just know that removing the band completely without something else, isn't something that i trust myself with.

Thanks, Nicole

I'm now almost 3 weeks out and I still love my sleeve, I can't believe the difference from the band. I only had my band for 9 months and the last 2-3 months were a nightmare. I love the sleeve, just eat and go!!

I just had a revision on the 18th of May. I love it!! I had so many problems with my band for the last 2 yrs. not to mention the money spent for the port flip, fills and unfills..I had Dr. Aceves do the revision and I couldn't be happier. I know it is a process and much to learn here unlike the band..but I am thrilled..I had gained 25 pounds over the last 5 months due to band slippage ..knowing myself so well and the history of my family..a tool of this nature was the way to go for me..good luck!

I am one year past having my band removed and getting my sleeve. I have perfect restriction and I wish I had been born with this size stomach. I am having the time of my life being thin at this age!