Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

spaghetti squash?

I notice that some "sleevers" have issues with Pasta (much like banded folks). I use Spaghetti Squash almost exclusively for my "pasta nights" now and love it. Has anyone else tried it and tolerated it better than pasta?

Tracy

I haven't tried, but have been tempted to buy some and give it a try.

Luckily, I don't have issues with Pasta, but this would obviously be a better, more healthy option.

We don't eat a lot of Pasta in our home, but I am intrigued by the nutrition facts, and the diversity.

I'd be interested to see if I could find a mac-n-cheese recipe for the squash. I LOVE Mac-N-Cheese. It's my nemesis.

Tiffany,

oddly enough I just ran across a recipe for mock mac-n-cheese using spaghetti squash. The comment was that it looked gross but tasted great! I think I found it on SparkPeople recipes......I'll see if I can find it in my files and post it.

I love using the spaghetti squash and even make baked spaghetti with it...it's a wonderful vegetable and very underused!

Tracy

Ok...it was Cauliflower "Mock Mac-n-Cheese"...not spaghetti Squash...oh well..here it is anyway

Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon

1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets

Vegetable oil spray

1 cup heavy cream

2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces

1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of Water to a boil. Season the Water with salt.

Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

Cheesey macaroni & Squash

Ingredients

6 oz. extra lean ground turkey

1/2c onion, chopped

2 oz Velveeta Light

1 cup uncooked whole wheat macaroni

1 spaghetti squash

Salt & pepper

Nutritional Info

Fat: 5.3g

Carbohydrates: 45.4g

Calories:337.9

Protein: 31.2g

Cook macaroni per package directions. Drain and set aside.

While the Pasta is cooking, prick your squash a few times and pop it in the microwave. Cook on high 15 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, cook turkey and onions in a large skillet over medium high heat until the onions are clear and the meat is browned. Drain fat. Return to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add Pasta and cheese and stir well.

Scrape 1/2 of the spaghetti squash (or desired amount) onto each plate. Top with 1/2 of the pasta mixture, then salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot!

Number of Servings: 2

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ZGIRL21.

Cheesey macaroni & Squash

Ingredients

6 oz. extra lean ground turkey

1/2c onion, chopped

2 oz Velveeta Light

1 cup uncooked whole wheat macaroni

1 spaghetti squash

Salt & pepper

Nutritional Info

Fat: 5.3g

Carbohydrates: 45.4g

Calories:337.9

Protein: 31.2g

Cook macaroni per package directions. Drain and set aside.

While the Pasta is cooking, prick your squash a few times and pop it in the microwave. Cook on high 15 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, cook turkey and onions in a large skillet over medium high heat until the onions are clear and the meat is browned. Drain fat. Return to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add Pasta and cheese and stir well.

Scrape 1/2 of the spaghetti squash (or desired amount) onto each plate. Top with 1/2 of the pasta mixture, then salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot!

Number of Servings: 2

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ZGIRL21.

You are my hero ! ! ! I will probably skip the wheat macaroni noodles. I wonder if I could trick the husband and kiddo with this recipe. Hmmmmmmmm I'll be going by Publix to find some of these squash.

Hi Tracy! I see that you are from near where I grew up in Indiana. I grew up in Albion which is between Ft. Wayne and Mishawaka. Anyway, I got so excited that you will be in Mexicali 12/14/09. I too am revising from band to sleeve with Dr. Aceves and am scheduled for 12/18. Will be arriving 12/17 so may get to meet up with you. I currently live in Arizona and have been seeing Dr Aceves/Campos for my band issues (had band placed in Phoenix-real long story). Have you met them yet? You will love them. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread but just was excited to see someone from "back home" that will be in Mexicali at basically the same time. :biggrin0: Marilyn

Hey Marilyn...I went past your old place last week! I was coming home on 331....lol

Anyway..I've been to Almater Hospital twice before. Once when I was banded 9/15/07...and again this past January to help a friend while she got her sleeve surgery.

I'm flying home on the 18th of Dec so I'll miss being there for your surgery but I will be sure to find you on the 17th! Can't miss a visit with a fellow Hoosier!

tracy

Tracy,

Don't know about you but I am counting the min until I can get rid of this "chitty" band!!!!!!!!

Spaghetti squash is a great idea. It shouldn't swell like Pasta might. It is so good!! It may be one of the first things I will try when we can start eating "real" food post-op. Gonna try to put it in the ricotta bake that has been posted on this site a few times. Yummy!!

Hi Tracy-

Thanks for the recipes!! I bought a spagetti squash a few weeks back- and darn if I didn't let it go bad before I found a recipe for it!

I have heard such good things about this- and since I stay away from pasta- this was why I wanted to try this!!

Thanks again!!

Chancie,

Honestly...I used to wonder why I"d be so sleepy after a spaghetti dinner. It was the Pasta..overloading my blood sugar! Now with the spaghetti squash I'm getting in an extra vegetable, a lot less calories and carbs and adding alot more Fiber.

I love to cook it, separate the strands and lightly saute it with a bit of olive oil, roasted garlic and grilled onions, then press it into a casserole and top with buffalo mozzerella, Prego meat sauce (or my homemade Bison sauce) and shaved parmesan on top. bake for 30 min at 350. Beats any baked spaghetti I've ever had and I don't get sleepy afterwards!

Tracy

Hi Tracy-

I just got home from work and I bought some spaghetti squash again tonight! It's not going to wast this time... already got plans for my menu tomorrow Thanks to you!!!:thumbup1:

I'll let ya know how it turns out!!

Have you guys tried Dreamfields Pasta? They make elbows, spaghetti, etc., and only have 5 g digestible carbs per serving (41 total carbs, but only 5 are counted.) I tried it the other day. I am a type 1 diabetic, so I know what pasta does to my blood sugar...and Voila - only 5 grams were digested! And it tastes just like regular, bad-for-you pasta! Also, since the other carbs are not digested, they are considered Fiber. Bonus! I bought mine at Kroger, I believe, but they sell it online at www.buydreamfields.com

Hi renebeau!

Thanks for the info! I'm headed out here in a minute, so I think I'll swing by Krogers and look for that spaghetti!! Hope my little store has it.

If not I might buy some on line.

I also love krogers carb masters Yogurt! I'ts yummy and not many clalories or carbs.

Beware of the Dreamfield's if intestinal gas problems bother you. The intestinal flora just love the Dreamfield's, if you catch my drift! :scared0: It does, however, taste really great! One other thing to watch out for, don't overcook it or reheat it as it tends to lose it's lower carb effect.

Edited by bigtex52