Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Norma-

I had total Knee replacement last Oct. It's a hell of a surgery- but it is sooooo very worth it!! It was one of the deciding factors for me to have weight loss surgery because my knee surgeon was wonderful and did an excellent job, but I had no stmaina and couldn't walk because of my weight.

My doctor automatically gives you 4 months off work- but if my weight was "normal" I believe I could have gone back to work earlier than that.

If you have any questions.. PM me and I'll explain more if you want....

I think Linda had a knee replacement and is getting ready to have her other done...

Norma, I am sorry to hear you need surgery soon. I will be thinking of you. I am so sorry you're in pain. It's good you got your sleeve surgery out of the way so you won't be recuperating as much from sleeve surgery while you are recuperating from your knee surgery.

I don't have enough info about total knee replacement recovery but my two uncles went through this and they are fine. I don't remember hearing there was much trouble. I wish you too a speedy and smooth recovery. my best wishes and prayers for you.

Verdict-total knee replacement surgery.

Seeing second doctor tomorrow as guy who did my meniscus on left knee 5 yeas ago can't get me in for surgery for a month. I am in too much pain to be able to work and don't want to increase the pain meds to steroids to fill that time slot. Hoping to have surgery next week with tomorrow's doc.

Anyone able to let me know what total knee replacement recovery and hospital stay is like? Would appreciate any information/experience you have. PM me if you want. I need some support from someone who has been through the knee replacement surgery.

Hello Norma,

I had a total knee replacement April of last year. I was walking with a cane before the surgery and now I no longer walk with a cane. I do not regret having the surgery at all. Yes it was very painful after surgery for me. I could not hardly move my legs over to the edge of the bed to get up to go to the bathroom and to go for my walks. I had to put my feet against the end of my hospital bed and inch my way over to the edge. Then when I got them to the edge, I had my walker next to the bed and I lowered one of my feet onto the bar in the middle until I could get the other foot lowered to the middle bar. Next I would lower my foot to the floor, then lower the other one. Once I was in a standing position, I could walk up and down the hall ways and actually I could not believe how easy it was the very first day. They want you to get up right away and walk. It helps to prevent blood clots. My knee was in so much pain before I was to go home, they had to take me down to have an ultra sound on my leg to see if I had a blood clot. I could not hardly stand the procedure, but I did make it through it and I did NOT have a blood clot. I was there for about 4-5 days I think. After I came home, the exercises and the therapy I had to go to was very difficult and I know I did not do as well as I should have. It took me about a year to really feel so much better and to start getting around easier. I walked alot to help it to heal faster. I am so thankful that I had it done because now I don't have to have people helping me up and now I can exercise to try to get off all this weight. I have been going to a fun and fitness exercise class at the Y and I enjoy it so much. Also I find that the Eliptical machine is so much easier than the Bicycle machines and the treadmill. I hope you have an easier time than I did. I am sure everyone's experience is different. Just don't give up on the therapy, stay with it. I hope more people let you know about their experience, so that you can have some more encouragement. I hope my story wasn't too discouraging. I had no idea what I was going to go through, I wish someone had explained to me about how difficult it might be. But on a good note, I had a friend that had both knees done at the same time and he did just fine with his surgery and he had a very fast recovery. So as you can see, you might do ok . Just expect anything, but hope for the best. I wish you all the best!!

( one other thing that really helped me for a long time, I purchased a seat lifter that you sit on top of the toilet so that it is higher. That way you don't have so far to bend down to use the toilet. It was real hard for me to bend my knee for quite awhile, so it helped alot with the pain of sitting down and getting back up. If you can get the kind with the metal bars on the side to help you to lift yourself up, it will help to take some of the pressure off your legs, when they are hurting.) I hope this helps you.

mountain lover and Chancie,

What was the physical therapy schedule for you? I am trying to see how to manage the time off from work. I could sit at my desk and have everything brought to me. My office is right next to the restroom and I know that my boss would allow me all the flexiblity needed to get to appts. I just can't be off for months. What was your weight when you had surgery if you don't mind me asking? I weigh 280 right now and am 5'3".

mountain lover and Chancie,

What was the physical therapy schedule for you? I am trying to see how to manage the time off from work. I could sit at my desk and have everything brought to me. My office is right next to the restroom and I know that my boss would allow me all the flexiblity needed to get to appts. I just can't be off for months. What was your weight when you had surgery if you don't mind me asking? I weigh 280 right now and am 5'3".

Hi, I will chime in here too, I had two total knee replacement surgeries last year, one in April and the other in October. I weighed about 235 with the first and 227 with the 2nd. I am 5'2". I am one of those who are very resiliant after surgeries so may not be typical, but was up withing 24 hours in the hosp. with the walker and fetching things for the other patient in my room, wallking the halls the days after that, and home after 4 full days there. I live in a 4 level split, but made it down to meals (never missed in those days,lol) without the walker (does not do well on stairs) and just leaned on counters and tables while on the main level.

Within 2 weeks I was babysitting again (albeit at my own house) I went to physical therapy once a week for about 6 weeks or so and was doing well there, and was driving my standard transmission car everywhere after only a month. Also had urinary stress incontinence then and was needing to go upstairs to where the bathroom was constantly, so got my stair climbing therapy the hard way! Thank God for the sleeve, incontinence gone after only 23 lbs lost! Yeah!

Hope this helps somewhat in your time off schedule, you may not drive for 5-6 weeks so will need taxiing during that time, but a cane will do for much of it. I chucked the walker after the first 10 days!

Donna:001_cool:

Norma, I need knee replacement also. Please post your research and results here. I had both knees injected with SynviscOne in Sept. Dr. wants me to loose weight first. I want me to loose weight first. Plus I want to try to wait until Medicare will cover (2 years). I am mobile now with out cane or walker. And taking it very easy on my knees. I am exercizing on a recumbant bike. and doing upper body strength training in a sitting position.

My Dad had both knees replaced. I went through the first surgery with him. He was hospitalized for a week. He was home and a therapist came every day at 1PM for two weeks. He was in moderate pain during this time, but handled it well with meds. His second knee he went to Water therapy after and that recovery went much better for him. Mind you he was 78 and 79 for these surgerys. If he would have still been working I think he could have gone back to work (limited) after the third week. and fully by the 5th or 6th week.

People go to work with a cast on limbs all the time while recovering, so depending on your work activity, you will be able to determine when you can go back.

Good luck to you, keep us posted.

Norma -

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your knees. I hope they are able to get you in for surgery sooner than later and that all goes well - I am looking at bi-lateral knee replacements (I am almost bone-on-bone in both knees) and my ortho is trying to hold off until I reach 55 (4 more years). I can say that losing 51 lbs. has helped tremendously.

Please keep us posted on your progress and your research as many of us here it seems are headed down the same path as you, if not for the same reasons.

I am sure you will do fine with your weight loss and you can exercise all areas of your body with the exception of that leg until given the OK - I'm sure if you ask the PT he/she could give you exercises to do for the rest of the body.

Norma-

I was 373 when I had my knee replacement. My doctor was excellent, and he put an extended rod in my leg because of my weight.

I'm not gonna "sugar coat" it...... it's a hell of a surgery. They get you up and about the next day- and with my wieght being what it was- at 5'7"....... it was hard. Pain was fierce... but my mind was also not in the right place. I rember crying like a baby- but once I was home. things got better. I had physical therapy everyday for for about 3 weeks. They came tomy house. And it was a good thing...... because I was in such a state of depression, there was no way I could do it on my own.

It was the deciding factor for me to get WLS.

Today- exactly a year out- I am pain free.... 152 pounds lighter and can walk up and down stairs like a "normal" person.... before I had to one step it at a time... now I take steps easily.

My BMI was 54 as well when I started out ...... so it is going to be hard having the weight on you.But you will be able to do it....... and the weight will be coming off. so you should do fine. i just wanted you to know that it is tuff.... but so very worth it in the end.

update-saw dr today. BP -138/80 reduced my Lisinopril. Diabetes-148 took off Lantus and Byetta, reduced Novolog to sliding scale, don't have to test but 4 times a day -down from every 2 hrs, d/c'd Glimiperide , K-Dur, Lasix. I am to crush my Paxil, Mucinex, and Singular and take at different times. Asthma is bronchitis or mild pneumonia-took chest X-ray and put me on liquid Keflex (one of the few antibiotics that I am not allergic too). He thinks that i must have aspirated something into my lungs. Knee-anterior horn of medial meniscus is toast. When he took hold of my ankle and pulled slightly to extend the leg I gasped. If the injury was only the meniscus, that would have relieved pressure and I would have felt better. Thus, surgery is going to be necessary and soon. I got a walker and will be able to get exercise building my endurance at walking with the walker. I have a orth consult for Thursday.

Drum roll please-------------------------------weight 280.6 lbs -almst 32 lb lost forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

AWESOME, NORMA!

YOU ARE DOING GREAT!

Soon you'll have a "new" revised knee as well as a new tummy. Not to mention a brand new bod! You are going to be one awesome chick!

Hi, I will chime in here too, I had two total knee replacement surgeries last year, one in April and the other in October. I weighed about 235 with the first and 227 with the 2nd. I am 5'2". I am one of those who are very resiliant after surgeries so may not be typical, but was up withing 24 hours in the hosp. with the walker and fetching things for the other patient in my room, wallking the halls the days after that, and home after 4 full days there. I live in a 4 level split, but made it down to meals (never missed in those days,lol) without the walker (does not do well on stairs) and just leaned on counters and tables while on the main level.

Within 2 weeks I was babysitting again (albeit at my own house) I went to physical therapy once a week for about 6 weeks or so and was doing well there, and was driving my standard transmission car everywhere after only a month. Also had urinary stress incontinence then and was needing to go upstairs to where the bathroom was constantly, so got my stair climbing therapy the hard way! Thank God for the sleeve, incontinence gone after only 23 lbs lost! Yeah!

Hope this helps somewhat in your time off schedule, you may not drive for 5-6 weeks so will need taxiing during that time, but a cane will do for much of it. I chucked the walker after the first 10 days!

Donna:001_cool:

Donna,

thanks for posting your experience. I am typically pretty stoic and bounce back from surgery pretty quickly too. It always helps me if I know what to expect and so am thankful :thumbup1:so many people are willing to share their experiences with knee replacements. My house has 3 levels too. I am thinking about getting a microwave for this level so that I don't have to go 3 flights for meals.

I was 373 when I had my knee replacement. My doctor was excellent, and he put an extended rod in my leg because of my weight.

I'm not gonna "sugar coat" it...... it's a hell of a surgery. They get you up and about the next day- and with my wieght being what it was- at 5'7"....... it was hard. Pain was fierce... but my mind was also not in the right place. I rember crying like a baby- but once I was home. things got better. I had physical therapy everyday for for about 3 weeks. They came tomy house. And it was a good thing...... because I was in such a state of depression, there was no way I could do it on my own.

It was the deciding factor for me to get WLS.

Today- exactly a year out- I am pain free.... 152 pounds lighter and can walk up and down stairs like a "normal" person.... before I had to one step it at a time... now I take steps easily.

My BMI was 54 as well when I started out ...... so it is going to be hard having the weight on you.But you will be able to do it....... and the weight will be coming off. so you should do fine. i just wanted you to know that it is tuff.... but so very worth it in the end.

Chancie,

Thanks for not sugarcoating it--I have developed an aversion to sweetness since surgery. LOL.

Congrats on being pain free 1 year out!!!!!!!!!

I will be much more ready for surgery because of your posts and those of others. Knee surgery is going to be lots harder than sleeve surgery and I am starting to prepare the house and myself for the changes necessary.

NJ

Surgery has been postponed till mid Dec. I must first heal the bursitis around hamstring so that it will be able to be grafted where necessary. Dr. Abraham wants me on solid foods prior to surgery too as he would feel better if I was a little farther along in my recovery from sleeve surgery before putting me under anesthesia again what with my severe asthma and all. So I have a follow up appointment on Nov 25th and if my pain control is not such that he and I feel safe in postponing surgery indefinetly to try to get more years out of my original knee, then he will schedule me for the second week of Dec. He is predicting 6-8 weeks off work and a hospital stay of 5 days with 2-3 weeks of daily in home PT before I start going to PT. If, on some outside chance that I can postpone surgery for a year or so, the added weight loss will be a benefit to my recovery process and the strength of the new knee as there would be less chance that the pressure would make it too loose for me to be as active as I want to be.

I am impressed with my new doctor-he spent nearly two hours with me discussing the various pros and cons of the surgery and really listened to my points as well. I will also be able to have the support of my PCP during the hospital phase as I can use the hospital I want as well. Onward and upward!

I ate at Granite City today--awesome cheddar ale soup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin0:

Edited by Norma

Hang on to that doctor...2 hours spent with you? He's worth his weight in gold.

I am also in need of a knee replacement. Before my sleeve surgery I was in pain mostly every day. About two weeks after surgery I had a cortisone shot and five weekly shots of Hyalgan. Right now I have no pain at all. I am walking at least 2 miles a day. I am also using an elliptical machine that has helped me build strength in my knee and its great exercise. I am 46 years old so I need to wait as long as I can before I get my knee replaced. My doctor said that weight loss is the best way for me to put the surgery off.