Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme Dry Mouth: starting to get worried!

I am 3 weeks post op and I have started noticing this strange new issue at night. Dry mouth...oh and I don?t mean, "I drank too many beers last night cotton mouth"! I mean like it feels like my mouth is cracking open from the extreme dryness...I keep a bottle of Water next to my bed, but I don?t understand WHY it keeps happening!!?

Should I talk to my Dr? Has this happened to anyone else?

Ps. an even stranger question...has anyone heard of developing a blood clot after surgery?? I'm a young fairly healthy (once you get past the whole weight thing) guy so I was a bit surprised to learn that I developed one...

THANKS

It only happened to me when I wasn't getting in enough Fluid throughout the day. Once I increased my Water intake, the dry mouth subsided.

As for blood clots, I did not personally develop one, but there have been a few members here that have dealt with them post-op. I have an idiopathic clotting disorder, and have slow clotting times so they give me drugs to make me clot then counteract that with Lovenox. It seemed counterproductive to me, but it keep me from bleeding out, or developing a clot.

Well, all I know is that I am STILL battling the dry, cracked mouth...the tongue is the worst. I get at least 60 oz of Water most days (maybe 1-2 days I only get 40-50), and unless I sleep with my mouth closed, I get crackly mouth. It's awful and I don't know how to stop it.

My husband had a kidney stone for 28 days (yes, 28) and had 2 surgeries to fix it. He's 31 and fairly healthy but got the blood clot from being laid up for a month. He's still on coumadin (sp??) but his levels are better and will hopefully be off of it by the end of the year. The worst part was the shots he had to have, that I had to give, that cost way too much money. Our insurance was not pleased, lol!

Hope your dry mouth gets better!!!

Southernlawyer - Welcome to the VST Family, we're happy to have you join us.

The dry mouth issue is a pain - I wake up sometimes with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth and not a drop of spit anywhere - I have to keep Water by my bedside all the time. I just figured it was because I slept with my mouth open; but maybe it's due to something else - if you do ask your doctor - let us know what he has to say.

As for the blood clots, I know there are a few on this forum who have developed them following surgery - thankfully, I was not one of them; I'm sorry to hear that you were.

I'm glad you brought up the subject of dryness in the mouth. I too have dryness in my mouth and tongue and awake needing to sip Fluid...water, Vitamin Water, my throat also is bothering me. I have been thinking it's because I probably am not getting in enough Water each day but maybe nutrients as well. I'm barely getting in 600 calories per day and the content of my diet pre-surgery (albeit too much), was very nutritious...so I wonder if by having such a small and empty stomach it creates this dryness. I also wonder if it is a side effect of perhaps the prilosec or any medication taken on a daily basis. It is very uncomfortable and it feels like even my throat is not being lubricated adequately. If anyone can find out definitively how this relates to having the sleeve and if in time it will subside I'm very interested in knowing.

I am sorry about the blood clot. I know I was at risk for blood clots. I am doing a lot of walking since my surgery. Today I walked for 40 minutes. Can they be dissolved? I hope the answer is yes, I'll keep you in prayer.

I am 3 weeks post op and I have started noticing this strange new issue at night. Dry mouth...oh and I don?t mean, "I drank too many beers last night cotton mouth"! I mean like it feels like my mouth is cracking open from the extreme dryness...I keep a bottle of Water next to my bed, but I don?t understand WHY it keeps happening!!?

Should I talk to my Dr? Has this happened to anyone else?

Ps. an even stranger question...has anyone heard of developing a blood clot after surgery?? I'm a young fairly healthy (once you get past the whole weight thing) guy so I was a bit surprised to learn that I developed one...

THANKS

PPI's (Nexium, Prilosec) cause the dry mouth. I have it too. It helps a little if I take the nexium first thing in the morning, instead of in the evening.

It's important to keep teeth brushed/flossed really well because normally the saliva helps protect them from cavity formation.

Once you're off the PPI, the dry mouth should resolve.

Being dehydrated can also predispose to blood clots...so be sure to get in all the required fluids....

There is no need to suffer guys!!!

I have had a salivary gland removed so I can relate to dry mouths. Mine did get worse after surgery and then resolved. I am back to my "normal" dry mouth from just having less glands to produce saliva.

In the section of the drug store where the teething gel and tooth pain relievers should be artificial saliva products also. I use one for during the day. It is a spray made by Orajel called Dry Mouth Moisturizing Spray. I use a different one at night that is more of a cream. It made to stay in the mouth longer and is great to stop the waking up with tongue stuck to top of mouth syndrome. I hate that. Make sure you put the cream in as the last thing you do at night. If you drink a lot of Water after you will need to put the cream in again. It never upset my stomach.

If you can't find it in the store ask the pharmacist for help. You can also ask your doctor or dentist to prescribe one. There are stronger ones by prescription I think if needed.

Well, its nice to know that I'm not crazy!! I swear I've never had a dry mouth like that before in my life! Weird. I am going to see my Dr. in the next couple of weeks for my 1 month post op, so I'll ask then and let yall know what he says.

Thank for the replies. I don't know if I'm up for fake saliva...I feel like I'm having to put enough nasty stuff in my mouth at the moment. But, I guess if it gets bad enough, thats always an option.

PPI's (Nexium, Prilosec) cause the dry mouth. I have it too. It helps a little if I take the nexium first thing in the morning, instead of in the evening.

It's important to keep teeth brushed/flossed really well because normally the saliva helps protect them from cavity formation.

Once you're off the PPI, the dry mouth should resolve.

Being dehydrated can also predispose to blood clots...so be sure to get in all the required fluids....

Hi everyone, I had the dry mouth thing too. It is caused by the PPI, and I found that it eventually goes away as your body adjusts to the medication. It took a while for me and it was driving me nuts. My mouth would be dry immediately after drinking, it was insane! I would have stopped the PPI but that was worse than the dry mouth.

Hope it clears soon for you all.

Jane

Well, its nice to know that I'm not crazy!! I swear I've never had a dry mouth like that before in my life! Weird. I am going to see my Dr. in the next couple of weeks for my 1 month post op, so I'll ask then and let yall know what he says.

Thank for the replies. I don't know if I'm up for fake saliva...I feel like I'm having to put enough nasty stuff in my mouth at the moment. But, I guess if it gets bad enough, thats always an option.

I have not run across one that tastes bad. Most don't have any taste at all or a slight mint flavor. Trust me it is soothing after your poor mouth has been so dry.

southernlawyer,

I'm with you on the artificial saliva. Sounds too yucky to me. I'll just keep swishing Water thank you!

Does a humidifier in the room where you sleep help with this dry mouth issue?

I use a humidifier in my bedroom from the time I turn my heat on in the fall until I turn it off in the spring. I'm pre-surgery so can't relate to it being caused by that.

Tracy

I asked my surgeon if I could stop with the prilosec medication and use it on an as needed basis. He said yes, and as I recall right out of the hospital he wrote down OTC Pepsid AC to take daily. I stopped the PPI and some of my dry mouth and throat symptoms subsided but not totally. I use a vaporizer but I think adding a humidifier is a great idea. I think I'll do that as well.