Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

25 year old female from Los Angeles: One week Post-Op.

Hi everyone,

I just found this website and I am so happy and so relieved to have finally found what I've been looking for! :clap2: A lot of other Weight Loss Surgery sites are dominated by Roux-en-Y patients so it is such a breath of fresh air to finally find a website made for people who opted specifically for the Lap-Band like I did.

About me: I'm 25 years old female and have lived in Los Angeles for the past 7 years. Before that, I grew up in Northern California, near Berkeley and San Francisco. Next, I'm making plans to relocate to Washington, DC by the end of this summer (if all things go as planned--we'll see!).

I got banded on May 17, 2006 (my 25th birthday, as well!). At first I didn't want to get banded on my birthday, but after giving it some thought, I realized how much I liked the symbolism of starting my new weight loss journey on a day that also symbolizes the end of one experience and the beginning of another--a day of new birth--my birthday!

I was banded five days after I graduated from my Master's degree program from the University of Southern California, as well. So, as you can see--there are a lot of changes going on in my life right now. It is very exciting, indeed!

As for the results I've seen thus far--they've been impressive--more than I expected, actually. I realize that it has only been six days since my surgery and, of course, weight loss is quick in the beginning given the small amount of calories that we "eat" (and by eat, I really mean, drink). And I know the weight loss is going to slow down. But in the past six days I've lost a little over 10 pounds! In less than a week, my BMI has gone from 37 to 35. I imagine a lot of that weight is just Water weight but I'm hoping some of it has got to be fat!

Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what kind of results I'll see overall as days turn into weeks and weeks turn into months. And eventually, when months turn into years.

Throughout my research, I read and was told that Lap-Band patients lose, on average, something like 50-60% of their excess weight. However, based on the excellent results of the people I've seen on this board and elsewhere, I have some hope that I may lose 100% of my excess weight. So that is my goal. An appropriate weight for someone of my height--five feet, three inches--is something in the neighborhood of 135 pounds. So, for now, that is my goal. I'm just going to do everything I can to follow the nutritional and exercise guidelines and hope that I will end up in a body that is healthy and that I can finally feel comfortable in!

Anyway, it is great to be here and I look forward to getting to know other people who made the same decision as me: to be proactive and make the life you desire instead of letting life make you.

Welcome to LBT Angela and Congradulations on your decision and weight loss. I am almost one month out and it is the best decision I have ever made for myself. You have already made it to the Onederland group.That means the one digit. I like two more pounds. Anyway this board is full of good advice and good people. Good luck to you and again welcome.:eek:

Hi my name is Patti, I'm so happy for you. seeing how you just had your band done can you give me some idea of how much pain you have? I need to know if I could drive and babysit and do my computer job as well? Are you weak from no solid food? Please write back to me? I don't want to give my employers false info, and one, I didn't even mention I'm getting it. all the tests are done and clearance is done, the insurance has to approve it, Take care, and 10 lbs. is wonderful! Patti

Hey Angelator I am in Van Nuys. We should meet for lunch, dinner or something.

Also wanted to say hi and welcome - this IS a great group. I was banded in Nov 05 with Ortiz in Mexico and we are about the same ht/wt. I am 5'2 and aiming for 130 - right now I am 166 and finally losing again. I live in Ut now but came from 12 years in DC - a Big change from CA but an exciting, diverse city - good luck with all your life changes - your positive attittude will help you. Being banded is an interesting and obviously life changing event and I've found the support and information on this board invaluable - esp since I had surgery outof the country and really no local support. I wish I had done this when I was 25 - congratus and good luck!

Hi my name is Patti, I'm so happy for you. seeing how you just had your band done can you give me some idea of how much pain you have? I need to know if I could drive and babysit and do my computer job as well? Are you weak from no solid food? Please write back to me? I don't want to give my employers false info, and one, I didn't even mention I'm getting it. all the tests are done and clearance is done, the insurance has to approve it, Take care, and 10 lbs. is wonderful! Patti

Patti,

The pain has been tolerable--but it is PAIN. I've never been stabbed in the stomach six times but I imagine it'd feel similar to what this operation does to you (only the outcome of this in the end is much more worthwhile!). I counted my staples--there are 25 of them spread out over six incisions (others may only have 4 or 5 incisions but I have more for whatever reason). Plus you won't really be "eating" and will be losing weight very quickly after surgery (it has been one week since my surgery and in that one week I've dropped 12.5 pounds). The day OF surgery and the day AFTER surgery you don't eat ANYTHING, and you don't even drink Water. So you are very weak when you leave the hospital (note: the drive home from the hospital can also be painful because every turn and pothole your car encounters can cause you some mild pain). Because you won't be consuming much calories and also because you're in pain (and also because your pain medication may make you want to fall asleep), you will also not be very energetic, especially in the beginning.

At one week post-op, today is the first day where I feel kind of "good." Like, I did not wake up in the middle of the night and need to take pain medication, and I'm starting to feel a little better in terms of what I can do (i.e. today I actually thought--hmm--maybe I can do those dishes instead of swindling my boyfriend into doing them...). :)

Some people get the lapband surgery and are back at work 4 or 5 days later. Those people are my heroes. I don't know how they do it.

I, on the other hand, would rather take my time to recuperate really well before rushing back into work, so I took 2 weeks off work and have been taking it really easy. In the past week, I've stayed at home and basically just rested, except for the 30 minutes each day I take to go walk outside (and when I walk--it is slowwwwwwwww. To walk a mile would take me a good 40 minutes). The faster I move, the more I hurt. It's also difficult for me to stand up completely straight because it stretches my wounds. I feel a bit like an elderly person lately. Heheh :biggrin1: It's also difficult to have a bowel movement because it involves pushing with stomach muscles that are in pain. I still have remnants of bruises on my stomach.

I know this picture sounds a little grim but I want you to have a realistic picture of what things are like after the surgery. It is all VERY tolerable. I actually thought it might be worse.

But as far as taking time off work is concerned, I'd recommend scheduling two weeks off if you can afford it. If you are feeling better before that time, you can always go back early. But after surgery, your priority should be recuperating as well as possible--not rushing back into the daily grind.

Good luck!

Hey Angelator I am in Van Nuys. We should meet for lunch, dinner or something.

Hi Penni,

You know what I've been thinking would be awesome to do? I'd love to gather together with a bunch of bandsters who also live in Southern California. Maybe we could just all meet somewhere over tea or coffee and just talk about what it's like with the band, and what it's like getting used to new ways of eating, seeing your body change, etc. I've also been looking for a good therapist who has experience in this arena but in the meantime it'd probably be helpful to meet with similar others who are going through the same experience. Do you think others in the area would be interested?

:cheer2:

Hi.Angela

I.just.wanted.to.wish.you.luck.

I'm.also.25.and.about.to.go.for.a.band.in.July.all.going.well!

Take.care.

Sonriose

Dear Angela, Thank you so much for you honest answers. you see I have a job watching 2 boys, and may be offered a job at a photography studio doing photoshop on computer, it is not active work, but the stress of a new position and learning new things plus being in pain may add up. The boys are enough to make staples pop out!!! I have it arranged to wait until the beginning of July for the surgery for the nanny job, so I can rest and my husband will be here all day too. So this has to be my priority, Your loss is wonderful! do you feel hungery? are you still weak? I live near Atlanitic City in NJ. I lived all my life in Philly and we moved here last August. My youngest son is 26.(and really cute). so thanks for writing and lets keep in touch! Thanks Patti

Dear Angela, Thank you so much for you honest answers. you see I have a job watching 2 boys, and may be offered a job at a photography studio doing photoshop on computer, it is not active work, but the stress of a new position and learning new things plus being in pain may add up. The boys are enough to make staples pop out!!! I have it arranged to wait until the beginning of July for the surgery for the nanny job, so I can rest and my husband will be here all day too. So this has to be my priority, Your loss is wonderful! do you feel hungery? are you still weak? I live near Atlanitic City in NJ. I lived all my life in Philly and we moved here last August. My youngest son is 26.(and really cute). so thanks for writing and lets keep in touch! Thanks Patti

I read somewhere once that your brain uses up 20% of your body's energy (even though it's only two pounds and therefore a minor fraction of your body's "mass"). So even if computer work sounds easy, it still can be draining (at least in my experience). It's just a different kind of draining.

In fact, after my surgery, just thinking too much or talking a lot just kind of drained me. It took a few days until I felt energetic enough to sit down and RESPOND to emails (reading them wasn't a problem, though).

The thing is, everyone recuperates at their own timing. But the tricky part is that you don't know how long YOU will take until it's all over. So you just kind of have to estimate how long it will take you to recover. Giving yourself only one week would probably be cutting it close. A week and a half or two weeks is probably safer. The last thing you would want is to HAVE to go into a new job when you feel tired and are in pain. And then you might end up leaving a bad impression with your new employer because you won't be functioning at 100% yet.

To answer your other questions, I do feel hunger sometimes, yes. My hunger NOW is different from my hunger BEFORE the surgery, though. Like, it's not a ravenous type of hunger where I want to eat a cow. It's just like "oh, my stomach is growling. I guess I'm hungry" sort of thing. I listen to my body to tell me I'm hungry--I'm not just eating out of boredom or because I can fit a few more bites in. And then I eat a little bit, and when I'm satisfied, I stop. This has happened naturally after the surgery as a result of my stomach getting full quicker.

Lately I've just been eating a lot of Soup because I've found some Soups that I really like (I even had Soup for breakfast!). I live across the street from a grocery store and their deli makes fresh Soups everyday (much better than the canned stuff!). I just try to get the "juice" of the soup and avoid any chunks, at this point. And I probably eat something like one cup of soup at a time. Not much. And then I'm full. If I want to treat myself I'll have some frozen yogurt, too (I live down the street from a frozen yogurt shop--low calorie stuff--yipee)!. Plus, that way I can still eat "out" once in a while and make it a social outing with my boyfriend, etc.

Anyway, to answer your question, I still have hunger, but it doesn't bother me too much. And when I'm hungry I eat but I don't have to eat too much to be content. I'm looking forward to how much money I'll save on food in the future! Heheh :)

I don't really feel weak today. Felt pretty good today. The first week I definitely did feel weak, though. I think because my body was recuperating from surgery I just felt very drained. Plus the first few days I was eating probably less than 100 calories a day. (There aren't many Clear liquids that have many calories). I don't feel weak from eating less, though, if that's what you mean.

Anyway, yes lets do keep in touch. I'll be relocating to the east coast in a few months--feel free to keep in touch!

Take care...

Hi Angela, I just said goodbye to my little granddaughter, I had her for a few days, she is 3 and we had so much fun. Hope you are feeling better. Sometimes I think I should just get the other operation because I have the time to get better and the insurance, but I don't know. My daughter had it and she does great. But any way I'm sure I'll loose on the band too. Let me know how you are feeling? Have a happy Memorial Day! Patti

Penni and Angela,

Maybe we should start a Southern California Support Group...we can meet once a month or something like that???

I live in San Diego.... and while I am not banded until June 22nd... I know I could use some support and provide a little.

Darrin

Darrin,

I'm also from San Diego and scheduled for banding on the 22nd. It would be great to make arrangements to meet once we've joined the club!