Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not brushing your teeth?????? Third party information I need clariication please

So my Aunt was talking to a friend of hers who has had the lapband. She told my Aunt to make sure I knew NOT to brush my teeth for 15 min if I got slimes or even threw up? That does not make sense to me as that is coating your teeth to protect from the acid that comes up, but why would you not want to brush your teeth for 15 min? That is the first thing I want to do. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

I have never heard anything like that before. Like you, if I get sick, the first thing I do is brush my teeth to get that nasty taste out of my mouth.

Never heard of it either. The slimies with the sleeve and band are like night and day. Completely different in my experience, and if I ever throw up the first thing I do is brush my teeth and have never had any issues.

Thank you both, I needed the reassurance even though I knew exactly what I was going to do anyway. I just can't think of any reason for this logic. If I get more feedback, I will share her "logic" for this.

I have never heard this. I have not thrown up or slimed into my mouth yet.

I can say though I can't use my Sonicare toothbrush right now. The minute I start brushing with it my stomach gets upset. Dunno. I am just using a regular toothbrush right now. What the stomach wants the stomach gets........

How nasty is that. . .ewwww don't brush teeth! That is totally bizzare! I brush and floss and go nuts if I have something stuck in my teeth! Don't brush????

What are the slimies?

My understanding is when food backs up into your esophagus from your stomach. This can also make your saliva glands overactive in anticipation of throwing up so you are producing so much saliva you feel like you are foaming at the mouth.

I have had something back up into my esophagus but not all the way to my mouth or had the extra saliva. But then again I am missing one saliva gland so I don't have much to start with.

I read an article the other day, in mens health (Can't help it. Hubby leaves it on the bathroom counter) that might explain this. In the article it said you should not brush your teeth after every meal unless you wait at least 15 mins or you could actually do more harm then good for your teeth.

When you eat, the acid in food softens the enamel of your teeth. So if you brush your teeth right away, you are brushing away the protective enamel of your teeth.

So I'm guessing if you vomit, it would be highly acidic and soften the enamel of your teeth. Not waiting 15 mins before brushing could cause teeth problems down the road.

Just my guess but makes sense to me.

Like Gin said, the acid from the vomit is more likely to erode away the enamel on your teeth if you brush right away. While pregnant, and suffering from severe morning sickness, my dentist suggested using mouth wash first, then brushing.

Vomiting with the sleeve is not the same as when you vomit because you are sick. There is not a lot of acid because usually the food comes up pretty quickly undigested from either eating more than your sleeve can handle, not taking small enough bites or not chewing your food well enough.

Vomiting with the sleeve is not the same as when you vomit because you are sick. There is not a lot of acid because usually the food comes up pretty quickly undigested from either eating more than your sleeve can handle, not taking small enough bites or not chewing your food well enough.

Thats true but as I said, in the article, it was talking about eating food and waiting to brush, not vomiting. So any amount of food in your mouth causes an acid that can soften your enamel.

oh sorry. I read it as don't brush for 15 min if you get the slimes or vomit.