Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluids and Fiber - TMI story but important

My doctor recommends Miralax. He says it's okay to use it every day. It is not a stimulant laxative . I don't use it every day. I had one painful BM and decided that was never going to happen again. I drink a ton of Water and have ever since surgery. I know I get all the Water I am supposed to have every day.

I thought at first it was because I don't eat as much to make much waste, but that theory went out the window after one painful bm. Now I take half a dose of Miralax every other day and all is well.

Oregon,

I'm gonna try salad and magnesium first, if that fails, then I'm gonna go back to the Miralax. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

I use Benefiber in my morning coffee. Just enough to keep things moving along (pauses to drink some more water). I also splurge from time to time on the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars. 9 grams of fiber per bar. Taste like a granola/candy bar. Probably too high in carbs, but 9gm of fiber - got to love it.

Fiber One bars will definitely keep things moving; however, they cause so much gas that Bearded and I call them "fart bars" and quit eating them. salad still works the best for me.

I haven't tried the FiberOne Bars yet. Luckily for me, the FiberPlus bars don't cause that problem for me. I'm sure for my husband, they would. I used to eat quite a bit of fiber each day, so it hasn't taken my system to get back on the fiber program post surgery.

Quick question Vegas - how do you get your Protein in with a salad? I haven't ventured there yet, because once I get my Protein in, I'm stuffed. How much salad do you eat at a time? Salad does sound really good. I may need to stop into Central Market tomorrow for lunch and hit their salad bar (pay by weight so don't pay for more than I want).

I put canned chicken and grated cheese on my salad -- I would say if I don't eat anything else and generally with a salad I don't that I am able to eat almost a side salad size of salad. If I go out to eat and want a salad, then I get one that has some kind of meat on it -- generally the oriental chicken salad at Applebee's - even the 1/2 size, I am only able to eat about 1/2 of it, if that, although I generally always eat all of the chicken.

We have a Sweet Tomatoes here that I loved to eat at; however I always got way too much - now that I've had the sleeve, I can't justify the cost of going for no more than I would be able to eat.

Haven't tried the salad bar at Whole Foods yet because I still have a problem with my eyes being bigger than my stomach and I'm sure I'd still get too much! Let me know how it goes for you.

Salad really doesn't do it for me. There really isn't much fiber in lettuce. I can actually eat quite a bit of salad, if it's just mixed greens. They chew down to Water. I am like Vegas though. I add chicken breast to my salad and chop it up into really little pieces, and then I can't eat much of the salad.

I love adding dried cranberries too. It really jazzes up the taste of salad.< /strong>

Well slight update. Things are ......... ok.......... That is all I can say. I would like to go back to normal in this regard. I know that will take a long time. I still get terrible spasms but I have medicine for that.

The thing that sucks right now is I need to walk! I am stalling and it is because I am not active because I spasm down there when I walk too much. I tried the eliptical. That makes the spasms awful. The not losing weight right now pisses me off more than anything. How dare my butt sabatoge my weight loss! :bored0: It better watch out, my stomach was sabotaging my weight loss and look what I did to it! :lol0:

Hi Guys, this is long but important. I can't be bothered with spelling, sorry.

I have not been around much because I had a complication. I was also struggling with whether I should post it or not. I am not shy so the topic does not bother me but I don't want to scare people away from this wonderful life changing surgery. I decided it could be a good cautionary tale to keep people on program with fluids. Don't screw around. Sip, sip! It is THAT important.

I, like many others, have been struggling a little with Constipation. When you don't eat much there is not much there to make a BM. No big deal right? Well not for me.......

I started to feel constipated for the second time since surgery on Monday, Sept 30th. I kind of ignored it as bathroom habits are all out of whack for everyone now. By Wednesday I was feeling really constipated and uncomfortable. I emailed my team and they said drink Milk of Magnesia. It will be ok. It was not even close to ok.

Wednesday afternoon I could tell I needed to have a movement but when I would go to the bathroom nothing would happen. I didn't strain because I thought it would just happen on it's own when ready. Wednesday evening this "mass" (as you will see later) was really trying to come out. I was starting to get involuntary pushing on the toilet trying to expel this movement. I could tell it was large and very hard. This is when I started to notice a lot of blood, mucus, and Water moving past the mass. I was also cramping very badly and upset about the whole situation.

I called my mother who is a nurse. She felt I might be "impacted" and needed to contact my team in the morning. She recomended I take a Valium (to stop the painful spasms) and try and get some sleep. "Impacted" is when there there is a large mass of BM that will not move on it's own because of the size and hardness. I did not have a fever or any other problems. I did not feel my pain was worth a trip to the E.R. I took a Valium and went to bed.

At about 4 a.m. Thursday I woke up with the feeling of needing to have a movement. I went to the bathroom and the involuntary pushing started. The only way I can describe it is when you have bad diareha and can't control the way it comes out? That is the contractions I am talking about. I couldn't stop pushing. After about 30 mins of this I was ready to tell my husband to call an ambulance. I was in terrible pain in my rectal area. I finally passed a movement the size of a water bottle that was rock hard. No joke. No exageration. Needless to say a lot of blood and mucus followed. It was very painful and traumatic. I screamed through the whole ordeal. My husband was very upset and didn't know what to do but tell me he loved me and hang in there.

My mother was sleeping after her night shift (I didn't want to wake her) and I was feeling a little better (though very sore) so I went to work. I emailed my care team and told them what happened. Later in the morning I started to spot bleed from my rectum and started to get worried. My team told me to get to my PCP who was waiting for me. I was begining to feel a lot of pain at this point. Of course I got a flat tire on the way to my doctor's office and had to walk the last 3 blocks. No easy feat when you have been through what I had just gone through.

He examined me (NOT fun) and found I had fissures and tears all throughout my rectum. This is what was causing the bleeding. I now have an internal pain killing cream I put in with a syringe thing, a cream I put in also, more Loritab, and Valium for the rectal spasms that almost make you want to pass out. I should heal in 7 -14 days. Walking makes the area spasm so walking much is out of the question right now. The whole experieince has been very painful. To top it off I am in a stall right now. My weight is flucuation 2 lbs, back and forth.

Why did this happen? Because I did not get enough fluids! I really believe this was the root of the problem as I live in a hot climate and sweat during the day often. I also was getting no fiber (none of us are at the begining), and eating lots of cheese for Protein (well lots for us with small tummies). It was a perfect storm.

I am using Metimucil's Clear Metamucil Clear & Natural now. This stuff is great. I am starting with 1 tsp a day to get my system used to it. It has no taste. I can't even tell I have put it in my Water.< /p>

I am eating less cheese. I am getting all my fluids and not kidding myself about getting enough. Measuring is the only way I know I am getting what I need.

Please talk with your doctor about adding this fiber to your diet and make sure you are getting fluids. This whole thing was my fault for not getting fluids. I have learned my lesson. Don't follow in my footsteps.

:eek: Just reading your story made me feel nauseated! OMG that must of been absolutely horrifying for you. . .I totally can't imagine that! How awful. . I am so sorry that happened to you. . .:thumbup: I had constipation one time so badly, I actually reached back there and dis-impacted myself! (gloved of course) Gross I know, but I had to do something. . the spasms are horrible! Bless your heart, how are you feeling now?

My only complication was also from not getting enough Fluid. I passed a kidney stone. Yuck. But no blood or long-term damage.

Guys... it's REALLY IMPORTANT to get enough fluid!

I am glad that you posted. I have not been able to get much past the protien on my plate. I the past I have taken psyllium husk as a fiber suppliment. I e-mailed my PA to see if it was okay to go back to them. I am trying to get in the fluids but it can be tough. I hope you are feeling better!

When I started eating carbs, my bowel movements went back to normal. But, when I eat just Protein, veggies..not much going on down there. Watch out for the Ducolax though. I took it Friday night and had OT Saturday, well it kicked in at work. I didn't make it to the bathroom on time and had to immediately go home to change. No chit..the first time in my life that has ever happened..horrible, nobody knew at work cause I just left..never doing that again. If you take that stuff, stay home the next day. It really works too well, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Steph_123

Ugh steph. After surgery I put a change of clothes in my trunk. Things were so unpredictable I didn't know if I might throw up on myself and the thought had crossed my mind when I started trying to get things moving what if it moved too fast?? So they are still there just in case. I feel so bad for you. Even if just you know it is still humiliating. Your right about Ducolax. It will make things move. I am feeling that today.

The good news though? Seems things are heading in the right direction still. I think the fiber suppliments are helping. We shall see.