Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluids and Fiber - TMI story but important

I wanted to give a quick update to let all know reading later that this is / was resolving.

As long as I am good about my Fiber and Fluid intake I am fine. If I am bad things can get clogged up but I have not had anything like the initial episode happen again. I am healing well from the intial episode also.

Again this was almost all my fault. I was being bad about getting the proper amount of fluids each day. Screwing off with your fluids is the biggest cause of non mechanical (like a leak) problems I suspect.

Every body is different so now that you know your weak places you'll be extra careful. cheese is BINDING, I think everyone is aware of that, so cheese is probably not a food that you can now tolerate. Stick with veggies and fruits for Fiber, plus your supplements, and be active as you can handle it. I use to love Ahi tuna, we use to have it at least 1X a week. Now, I can't tolerate it because it's too fiberous for me. Things change after this surgery. The only kind of cheese I have on occasion is low fat string cheese as a Protein snack, however, no more than "on occasion." Hope you heal completely. My Dad, who is no longer with us, had fistulas, and had surgery more than once to correct them. IDK why he had them; we never discussed. IDK if it was something he created by his eating habits or not, but the result was bad news. He had a high stress job and was always running around and eating on the run, bad habits that didn't help him in the long run. I digress. Hope you are feeling better by now and this all becomes just a memory. Thank you for sharing your story; it's good for everyone to read about the what-ifs of others. Best to you.

The original and a few more posts had quite an - (SORRY. NO PUN INTENDED) - impact on me. I am drinking, drinking, drinking.

I am really worried about this part. I have ALWAYS been so VERY regular with regards to BMs (2-3 times a day). I WANT a BM everyday - I worry if I don't get one even after the surgery. I have had them and watery because I am still on fluids. But, I am having them.

Thanks for posting that it is getting resolved. Makes me behave even more.

Glad you are doing better.

ReadytoMaintain

If you want one every day, you should take the Miralax. If not, you won't have one every day. We just don't have enough room in our stomachs for enough fruits and veggies and we would be eating non stop.

I was thinking the same thing as Daisy. You just don't take in enough mass to have one everyday. I am every third day right now. That seems to work just fine for my body.

Thanks OregonDaisy and DowninSocial for your help.

I do wonder - how many calories are you eating a day?

Thanks!

ReadytoMaintain

I take in approx. 600-800 calories a day and have a BM every day - most days - without the need for laxatives. I am derelict on getting all the fluids I should, as well. I think what is normal is what's normal for YOU, and on this subject you cannot compare yourself to others' BM habits.

AJW,

thanks for your info. Indeed, we are all individuals. I am gathering information to prepare myself with all the POSSIBILITIES of what COULD happen. BM/day, BM/every 3 days, etc. and how much someone is eating in relation to THEIR BM.

That's all.

Thanks.

ReadytoMaintain

I don't count calories so I don't have a clue. I just make sure to get plenty of exercise so I pretty much eat whatever I want. I am really bad. I eat candy, cake Cookies etc, all the time, but I don't seem to gain. My meal portions are small, and I exercise like crazy, so I am maintaining at goal with no trouble at all.

I don't count calories so I don't have a clue. I just make sure to get plenty of exercise so I pretty much eat whatever I want. I am really bad. I eat candy, cake Cookies etc, all the time, but I don't seem to gain. My meal portions are small, and I exercise like crazy, so I am maintaining at goal with no trouble at all.

Oh, no. This is good information. It's good for me. I actually do exercise as well, (not now after surgery) so it's good to know that with exercise I will be able to maintain weightloss even if I am a naughty with my food. THAT is what I have NEVER been able to do. I exercise just to maintain my heavy weight. So, this is good news!

Thanks!

ReadytoMaintain

I do count my Protein. I know that's important to not loose muscle mass. Other than that, I pretty much eat whatever I want. If I figure out my protein in the evening and it's not where it's supposed to be, I eat a Greek Yogurt, 10 grams of protein, or a Protein Shake of 20-30 grams, whatever I need. I am lucky that I love my Protein Drinks.< /strong>

I'm late to the party on this subject but wanted to add my "cure" for Constipation. After trying all sorts of Fiber supplements, M-0-M, and other laxatives...I find I get the most reliable and natural results by drinking apple cider. I realize it's high in carbs because it's a fruit juice...but 6 oz of apple cider every other day will keep me regular without having to add a medication or supplement.

Tracy

I found some Gummy fiber pills (like gummy vitamins) that taste REALLY good and they have kept me the most regular I have ever been in my life - two in the morning and that's it - if I happen to eat salad that day, I skip the gummy fiber the next day.

What's the name of these wonder gummies?

I found some Gummy fiber pills (like gummy vitamins) that taste REALLY good and they have kept me the most regular I have ever been in my life - two in the morning and that's it - if I happen to eat salad that day, I skip the gummy fiber the next day.