Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluids and Fiber - TMI story but important

Hi Guys, this is long but important. I can't be bothered with spelling, sorry.

I have not been around much because I had a complication. I was also struggling with whether I should post it or not. I am not shy so the topic does not bother me but I don't want to scare people away from this wonderful life changing surgery. I decided it could be a good cautionary tale to keep people on program with fluids. Don't screw around. Sip, sip! It is THAT important.

I, like many others, have been struggling a little with Constipation. When you don't eat much there is not much there to make a BM. No big deal right? Well not for me.......

I started to feel constipated for the second time since surgery on Monday, Sept 30th. I kind of ignored it as bathroom habits are all out of whack for everyone now. By Wednesday I was feeling really constipated and uncomfortable. I emailed my team and they said drink Milk of Magnesia. It will be ok. It was not even close to ok.

Wednesday afternoon I could tell I needed to have a movement but when I would go to the bathroom nothing would happen. I didn't strain because I thought it would just happen on it's own when ready. Wednesday evening this "mass" (as you will see later) was really trying to come out. I was starting to get involuntary pushing on the toilet trying to expel this movement. I could tell it was large and very hard. This is when I started to notice a lot of blood, mucus, and Water moving past the mass. I was also cramping very badly and upset about the whole situation.

I called my mother who is a nurse. She felt I might be "impacted" and needed to contact my team in the morning. She recomended I take a Valium (to stop the painful spasms) and try and get some sleep. "Impacted" is when there there is a large mass of BM that will not move on it's own because of the size and hardness. I did not have a fever or any other problems. I did not feel my pain was worth a trip to the E.R. I took a Valium and went to bed.

At about 4 a.m. Thursday I woke up with the feeling of needing to have a movement. I went to the bathroom and the involuntary pushing started. The only way I can describe it is when you have bad diareha and can't control the way it comes out? That is the contractions I am talking about. I couldn't stop pushing. After about 30 mins of this I was ready to tell my husband to call an ambulance. I was in terrible pain in my rectal area. I finally passed a movement the size of a water bottle that was rock hard. No joke. No exageration. Needless to say a lot of blood and mucus followed. It was very painful and traumatic. I screamed through the whole ordeal. My husband was very upset and didn't know what to do but tell me he loved me and hang in there.

My mother was sleeping after her night shift (I didn't want to wake her) and I was feeling a little better (though very sore) so I went to work. I emailed my care team and told them what happened. Later in the morning I started to spot bleed from my rectum and started to get worried. My team told me to get to my PCP who was waiting for me. I was begining to feel a lot of pain at this point. Of course I got a flat tire on the way to my doctor's office and had to walk the last 3 blocks. No easy feat when you have been through what I had just gone through.

He examined me (NOT fun) and found I had fissures and tears all throughout my rectum. This is what was causing the bleeding. I now have an internal pain killing cream I put in with a syringe thing, a cream I put in also, more Loritab, and Valium for the rectal spasms that almost make you want to pass out. I should heal in 7 -14 days. Walking makes the area spasm so walking much is out of the question right now. The whole experieince has been very painful. To top it off I am in a stall right now. My weight is flucuation 2 lbs, back and forth.

Why did this happen? Because I did not get enough fluids! I really believe this was the root of the problem as I live in a hot climate and sweat during the day often. I also was getting no Fiber (none of us are at the begining), and eating lots of cheese for Protein (well lots for us with small tummies). It was a perfect storm.

I am using Metimucil's Clear Metamucil Clear & Natural now. This stuff is great. I am starting with 1 tsp a day to get my system used to it. It has no taste. I can't even tell I have put it in my water.

I am eating less cheese. I am getting all my fluids and not kidding myself about getting enough. Measuring is the only way I know I am getting what I need.

Please talk with your doctor about adding this fiber to your diet and make sure you are getting fluids. This whole thing was my fault for not getting fluids. I have learned my lesson. Don't follow in my footsteps.

Thank you for deciding to share this story SoCal. I am so sorry for what you had to go through and I think you are right about sharing your story to keep others who are hesitant to eat/drink to be sure they stay on track. Your (ALL SLEEVERS) doctor gives a post-op diet to follow for a reason and it's your job to follow it the best you can - and you definitely need to stay hydrated. Heed this unfortunate lesson that SoCal had to endure.

I hope you will heal fast and not ever have to go through this again SoCal.

grabs Water bottle right now!!!!

(always having trouble with water)

thanks for heads up, and i hope you feel better soon... that cant be fun!

I can identify with that but not as bad as you fortunately. I have even had my fingers up there (TMI I know but it's true and definitely not recommended) to get it out and bled a bit afterwards. I take Benefiber now which I think is the same sort of thing as you are taking and it really helps keep me regular and strain-free (I can't afford to strain as have had hernia and ab surgery as well)!

Hope you are feeling much better now. Bet it felt like you were passing a rubgy ball didn't it?!

Helenxxx

Do you guys recommend the fiber rather than Miralax? I only have 1 BM a week since surgery. I don't feel constipated, but that's as often as I go, and even then, it's only with 2 or 3 doses of miralax. I sure don't want to go through what SoCal did. That must have been awful!

Thanks Vegas. Your support is great as usual.

Your not alone Helen. I also used a gloved finger to figure out what the heck was going on. I guess sometimes it can be broken up but really something a medical pro needs to do. There is a nerve called the vagus nerve that can cause trouble if stimulated wrong. There was no breaking up this though.

You know Skinny I don't know what to tell you. I know my doctor prefers Metimucil to Benifiber. My doctor never said anything about Miralax. I know he would prefer me not to use stimulant laxatives. I am not sure if Miralax is.

I have had a rule since surgery that nothing goes in the pouch unless my doctor is ok with it, as far as meds go, OTC or not. I cleared the fiber with them and an OTC stool softener. I think you should talk to your doctor about adding a fiber suppliment gradually. Don't start off with the maximum dose. 3 tsp is the Metimucil's full dose but I will work up to that.

Do you guys recommend the fiber rather than Miralax? I only have 1 BM a week since surgery. I don't feel constipated, but that's as often as I go, and even then, it's only with 2 or 3 doses of miralax. I sure don't want to go through what SoCal did. That must have been awful!

Skinny - can you eat salad yet? I find that if I eat a salad, I end up going within a few hours of having eaten it - and it doesn't take much - like I got the Soup and salad special at Applebee's - which isn't much salad at all - and I didn't eat it all - within an hour or two I was in the restroom. I've "tested" my theory and it works ... give it a try - natural fiber is better if you can tolerate it.

I've also see the benefiber tubes that you can add to your Water now - like crystal light, etc. and thought I might pick up a box of those and see how they taste/work.

Also, magnesium pills work great to keep you regular - not MOM but the actual pills - and you can't OD on them, what your body doesn't use, it sloughs off - like Vit. C.

Hi Guys, this is long but important. I can't be bothered with spelling, sorry.

I have not been around much because I had a complication. I was also struggling with whether I should post it or not. I am not shy so the topic does not bother me but I don't want to scare people away from this wonderful life changing surgery. I decided it could be a good cautionary tale to keep people on program with fluids. Don't screw around. Sip, sip! It is THAT important.

I, like many others, have been struggling a little with Constipation. When you don't eat much there is not much there to make a BM. No big deal right? Well not for me.......

I started to feel constipated for the second time since surgery on Monday, Sept 30th. I kind of ignored it as bathroom habits are all out of whack for everyone now. By Wednesday I was feeling really constipated and uncomfortable. I emailed my team and they said drink Milk of Magnesia. It will be ok. It was not even close to ok.

Wednesday afternoon I could tell I needed to have a movement but when I would go to the bathroom nothing would happen. I didn't strain because I thought it would just happen on it's own when ready. Wednesday evening this "mass" (as you will see later) was really trying to come out. I was starting to get involuntary pushing on the toilet trying to expel this movement. I could tell it was large and very hard. This is when I started to notice a lot of blood, mucus, and Water moving past the mass. I was also cramping very badly and upset about the whole situation.

I called my mother who is a nurse. She felt I might be "impacted" and needed to contact my team in the morning. She recomended I take a Valium (to stop the painful spasms) and try and get some sleep. "Impacted" is when there there is a large mass of BM that will not move on it's own because of the size and hardness. I did not have a fever or any other problems. I did not feel my pain was worth a trip to the E.R. I took a Valium and went to bed.

At about 4 a.m. Thursday I woke up with the feeling of needing to have a movement. I went to the bathroom and the involuntary pushing started. The only way I can describe it is when you have bad diareha and can't control the way it comes out? That is the contractions I am talking about. I couldn't stop pushing. After about 30 mins of this I was ready to tell my husband to call an ambulance. I was in terrible pain in my rectal area. I finally passed a movement the size of a Water bottle that was rock hard. No joke. No exageration. Needless to say a lot of blood and mucus followed. It was very painful and traumatic. I screamed through the whole ordeal. My husband was very upset and didn't know what to do but tell me he loved me and hang in there.

My mother was sleeping after her night shift (I didn't want to wake her) and I was feeling a little better (though very sore) so I went to work. I emailed my care team and told them what happened. Later in the morning I started to spot bleed from my rectum and started to get worried. My team told me to get to my PCP who was waiting for me. I was begining to feel a lot of pain at this point. Of course I got a flat tire on the way to my doctor's office and had to walk the last 3 blocks. No easy feat when you have been through what I had just gone through.

He examined me (NOT fun) and found I had fissures and tears all throughout my rectum. This is what was causing the bleeding. I now have an internal pain killing cream I put in with a syringe thing, a cream I put in also, more Loritab, and Valium for the rectal spasms that almost make you want to pass out. I should heal in 7 -14 days. Walking makes the area spasm so walking much is out of the question right now. The whole experieince has been very painful. To top it off I am in a stall right now. My weight is flucuation 2 lbs, back and forth.

Why did this happen? Because I did not get enough fluids! I really believe this was the root of the problem as I live in a hot climate and sweat during the day often. I also was getting no fiber (none of us are at the begining), and eating lots of cheese for Protein (well lots for us with small tummies). It was a perfect storm.

I am using Metimucil's Clear Metamucil Clear & Natural now. This stuff is great. I am starting with 1 tsp a day to get my system used to it. It has no taste. I can't even tell I have put it in my water.

I am eating less cheese. I am getting all my fluids and not kidding myself about getting enough. Measuring is the only way I know I am getting what I need.

Please talk with your doctor about adding this fiber to your diet and make sure you are getting fluids. This whole thing was my fault for not getting fluids. I have learned my lesson. Don't follow in my footsteps.

This will be a big concern for me...because I've always had problems with constipation, and I have ulceritive Colitis. I am a very hot natured person too. I've always slept with a fan at night. And on top of al that, I am 48 and am in the middle of hot flashes also.

My job is very physical, lifting, walking all day, pulling, pushing etc. I feel I will have to drink constantly to keep myself hydrated. Where I work is usually very cool, because I'm near the produce area, so I should stay cool all day, but NOT ME..I sweat especially with the hot flashes included. I'm glad you posted this, I will be extra carful when I have my surgery. THANK YOU !!!

Goodness, I am so sorry, what an awful experience to go through. I had problems with severe dehydration my first month, and definitely experienced Constipation and painful bm's, but not to that extent. Much like Vegas, I find that salad works excellent for me as well. I make sure to eat one every couple of days at a minimum, and that keeps me regular.

Skinny - can you eat salad yet? I find that if I eat a salad, I end up going within a few hours of having eaten it - and it doesn't take much - like I got the Soup and salad special at Applebee's - which isn't much salad at all - and I didn't eat it all - within an hour or two I was in the restroom. I've "tested" my theory and it works ... give it a try - natural Fiber is better if you can tolerate it.

I've also see the benefiber tubes that you can add to your Water now - like crystal light, etc. and thought I might pick up a box of those and see how they taste/work.

Also, magnesium pills work great to keep you regular - not MOM but the actual pills - and you can't OD on them, what your body doesn't use, it sloughs off - like Vit. C.

Vegas,

I haven't really tried salad yet, but I will. Starting tonight! And to GNC i go tomorrow to get magnesium pills. Anything to have more regular BM's. I'll let you know...:blush:

Skinny -

The magnesium is probably less expensive at Target than at GNC - I find them to be pretty high - at least here in LV. Bearded had his first salad the other day (one I had made for myself, couldn't eat all of and when I went back to get it - it was gone!) He did well with it - start out very small and be sure to chew, chew, chew. I add some canned chicken and some grated cheese to get in some Protein. I also add tomatoes (I LOVE tomatoes).

Hope it all works out for you ... no pun intended!

My doctor recommends Miralax. He says it's okay to use it every day. It is not a stimulant laxative . I don't use it every day. I had one painful BM and decided that was never going to happen again. I drink a ton of Water and have ever since surgery. I know I get all the Water I am supposed to have every day.

I thought at first it was because I don't eat as much to make much waste, but that theory went out the window after one painful bm. Now I take half a dose of Miralax every other day and all is well.

Skinny -

The magnesium is probably less expensive at Target than at GNC - I find them to be pretty high - at least here in LV. Bearded had his first salad the other day (one I had made for myself, couldn't eat all of and when I went back to get it - it was gone!) He did well with it - start out very small and be sure to chew, chew, chew. I add some canned chicken and some grated cheese to get in some Protein. I also add tomatoes (I LOVE tomatoes).

Hope it all works out for you ... no pun intended!

Thanks for the info Vegas! it always helps to save $$.