Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Eating - Sleep Eating???

i have allways done this and i never have taken sleeping pills... but i have done it a few times after the band and i will wake up coughing and the food is right at my throat i think it dosnt have time to digest before i lay back down...

weight.png

I'm not asleep when I do it....it's just become a bad habit. It's usually Cereal and I know I need more fill because I can eat a whole bowl. I work evenings and get home about 12. I need to get up during the night to pee several times. I always have since I was a little girl. I get real thirsty at night so this is probably part of it. But anyway, when I wake up around 2, I slip my slippers on and head out to the kitchen. I get the Cereal and go back to my room (sleeping husband right next to me) and munch my cereal. I know he doesn't understand why I just show some willpower. *sigh*

I get up in the AM around 10:30 or so and don't really eat until an hour later. So my timing is off. It's real hard to get the timing of the food/water down as well.

I have to stop the midnite eating....it's killing my success.

Yes. I do this. I used to be very very bad. It runs in my family. The funniest times would be when we would scare the poopey out of eachother. I remember my brother dropping a huge ladle full of chili on my mother's kitchen floor when I startled him!!! It went every where, she was PISSED!!!

I am a night owl too. I go to bed late and if I eat dinner early then it seems that i get hungry and go to the fridge. A way for me to stop this is eat dinner about 3 hours before I know I will fall asleep. I usually am out by 1 am. So, I eat dinner around 9. I am not a Breakfast person so I eat lunch around noon. eat something small like a lean cuisine around 5, then a real dinner around 9.

If I don't follow this I'll end up eating a package of sandwich meat without knowing it. Remeber to just plan your dinner 3 or so hours before you go to bed. It will stop all of it.

Another thing I would do is count the calories I ate towards my next day. So, If I eat 400 calories of ice cream the next day will suck without food.

Hope this helps. Or you could just do the fridge pig thing....lol.

Marianne,

I too did what you did. My pup always needed to go out in the middle of the night. I found that to be a prime time to eat the left overs from dinner or what ever else I could down in the time is would take her to pee. I was fully awake and aware of my night eating.

I would wrestle with myself and consider it a success if I got back to bed without eating.

After being banded it stopped for the most part, unless I was stupid hungry. I'd then just eat some fat free cheese or something and count it.

Just this past September I had to put my dog to sleep, so the issue is mute...I sleep through the night without temptation. I do miss my pup though. ;)

I know the bad thing is that I am awake when i fo it also... it is how i think i got in the weight probelem i got into was eating at night and going to bed again.... half the time i will be eating it and i will fall asleep with it in my hands and my husband gets so aggravated with all the crumbs that get in the bed..... i need to lock the foood up at night or have omething in the fridge remind me not to eat!!!

I have a friend that does this and tells me all the time what she ate and has no memory of doing it. Cereal seems to be a popular

sleep walking/eating food.

I am so glad I take Ambien and don't have this problem. I would

not be able to live without Ambien with my horrible insomnia. The last thing I need is eating when I don't even know I do it. I have enough trouble in the daytime with cravings!

Yes!!!! That's my problem. And OMG!! I've been taking Ambien. I will never take those stupid pills again. I've done this before taking Ambien, but it's gotten much worse since I've been taking it. Now, that I have the band, I could really hurt something by eating something and having it cause a problem. I just put up a thread to see if anyone else experienced this!!

I'm glad I'm not alone. I feel powerless over this night thing...

It kinda comes and go. And right now, it's at an all time bad. I remember about 10 years ago, I was at a hotel and didn't have any food so I "ate" toothpaste in the middle of the night!

I do it too and last night put a rope around the fridge and cut it off and did it anyways next is a bike chain I have taken ambient for 2yrsme and can't sleep without it but did it before ambient I m getting banded on ties and scared I will fail because of this problem it has been a issue for years have will power during the day