Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! New to the group!

Guest Melissa

Hello everyone!

I just discovered this site moments ago. I'm going to be banded in 12 days and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!! (and scared!)

Any advise on what I should do for these final pre-banding days?

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Have a great day!

Melissa

Wecome Melissa,

This is an awsome place to visit----I have found so much information that I would have had no clue without the sharing of everyone.

My surgery is this Monday. Keep in touch and we can share experiences!

:)

Congratulations Gretat and Melissa,:banana

I have been banded for 2 weeks today!!! :D I remember being very excited and scared at the same time. The surgery is a piece of cake, the only part that was uncomfortable was the site they put the port in which is still a little tender but gets better everyday. Did your surgeon want you to do a liquid diet before hand? Mine didn't but I went ahead and did it for the last three days pre-op. My thought was that it would prepare me for afterwards. Learning to listen to my "new" stomach has been interesting. Have lots of Jello, broth, protien drinks(the Adkins one has 20 grams of protien), crystal light, and liquid pain relievers available. Also don't forget your chewable Vitamins. I unfortunately have caught an aweful cold and thought that maybe the cold medicine in gel cap form would just slide right down. I was wrong and found out what stuck means.:) So for now I am only doing liquid meds. Hope all goes well and let all of us know what happens.

Take Care:)

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. Bummer on the cold, though. I am a teacher and short of wearing a hospital mask, have been doing everything I can to stay away from little germs.:)

I do have my Protein Drinks, sugarfree Jello, crystal light, liquid tylenol---this weekend I am going to get some creamy Soups and some chicken boullin. I don't know if that will be enough, but I have my parents to help me if I need anything else.

I can't wait to be two weeks out---I am feeling exactly what you said, excited and scared.

Take care!

Hi Melissa!

Thanks for the email earlier today and congratulations on being so close to being banded! I imagine I will feel the same way once I have a date... right now I'm just trying to be patient as I wait:cross-eye WIshing you all the best with your surgery... keep us updated... the people on this site are very supportive and friendly and there is a lot of great info in the posts. Don't worry... be Happy! :D

Gretat... WOW... I guess Monday is a good day afterall! Good luck with your surgery and keep us updated on how you are doing. I am really trying to be prepared for what to expect after the surgery and hearing from those that are newly banded really helps me feel more at ease and more prepared. Take Care...

Kathy... Two weeks and it looks like you are doing terrific with your weight-loss already! Congratulations! THanks for sharing your post-op experiences... very helpful to those waiting in line.:)

Darcy

Just wanted to add my best wishes to the soon-to-be-banded crowd. It's scary and exciting, indeed! Try not to worry too much, though I know that's hard.

We'll be rooting for you!! :):D :D

You will find this site to be very helpful! I did. I got on liquids 2 days before then fasted the last day only. I had some great food before that though. You will have a ton of questions and will need some reassurance or I did. Many times and at different stages. Its like while tuning the band to you everyone is different so If one of us is dropping like mad on 1 or even no fill that doesn't mean the same thing for you. we are all different. This band is a key though I wouldn't change a thing. The op was a breeze for me. There was some pains from gas and soreness other than that no problemo. You have nade a decision and will have a master tool to losr that weight finally that will make you feel like a million. I'm down 46 lbs since 8/12/03. I used to be impatient and worry at times when my weight leveled out thinking is that it? It never was and I ate and exercised and weighed only every 2-3 weeks. It may go by halfs or 2's or quarters of pounds but its going! Congrats! I can't wait to break the 200's and am planning a drive for it by increasing my running and eating smarter. Yeah you can still cheat! So I'm boring you now ! Cya

Guest Melissa

Gretat, Kathy, Darcy, Alexandra & Bobby,

You all are WONDERFUL!!! Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! I can't tell you how much it means to me!

Kathy - I hope you feel better soon! Thank you for the list of what to have handy - it's very helpful!!!

Bobby - I think I'll do what you did - - enjoy some good food for the next week, but start liquids a day or so before the surgery, to make it easier on the surgeon.

Darcy - thank you for your email! I didn't realize you didn't have a date yet. What are you waiting for insurance approval? I remember that well... I was denied a year ago, so I switched insurance companies during open enrollment and got approval this time. It took FOREVER though! I've been working on this since Jan. '03.

Gretat, CONGRATULATIONS! We should track eachother's progress & compare notes. You'll have to let me know how it goes on Monday. You'll be in my thoughts!

Have a great day!

Melissa G.

Hiya Melissa,

I am just starting the process here in WIsconsin with Dr. Chua. I think it is not the most efficient process but I will just have to be patient. I have seen the dietician and the psychologist and the bartiatric team meets today to review my case and hopefully approve me as a candidate for surgery. They both told me they would recommend me for the surgery so I guess it's just a matter of jumping through the hoops they have set up as a part of the process. After they approve... I can then make an appointment with the surgeon. I have seen that others have waited a week or more for the phone call to schedule that appointment ... not this girl. I'm calling them this afternoon.:D

As I understand it... they do not send the paperwork into the insurance company until AFTER the consult with the surgeon... so the sooner I see him... the better. I am terrible at hoops and after spending so many years worrying and striving to meet patients needs... I am hoping I can get the same in return. What a dreamer I am. :)

Lady in waiting...

Darcy

HELLO MELLISSA AND KATHY

MY NAME IS JOYCE AND I WAS SUPPOSE TO GET MY BAND LAST WED. bUT THE HOSPITAL WANTED 2500.00 BEFORE SURGERY.SO IT IS NOT UNTIL APRIL 28. I HAVE HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE SURGERY,SO I AM SURE IT WILL BE GREAT FOR US.GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF YA'LL. LET ME KNOW HOW THINGS GO

THANKS

JOYCE FREDERICK

235/?

Hiya Melissa...

Just thought I would check in on ya! Good Luck with your surgery and keep us updated on how you are doing.;) Your last weekend unbanded! You lucky duck!

Darcy

Hi there my name is Ginny and I was banded on Monday the 19th the past few days have been a trip I have had so much gas and odd discomforts but. I can not possibly have any more broth I will surely trow up. I did the 5 day fast and it was ok and I have only had boost and slimfast since the surgery do yall have any suggestions on warm liquids I can have right now?

Hi Ginny,

Welcome to the site! Everyone is very helpful and friendly here but I think you will find more answers to you questions if you start a new post under introductions with a new topic.:mad: I haven't had my surgery yet but I think it depends on what your Doctor has given you the ok to eat??? Try posting your question on the main board and everyone will give you oodles of ideas! Congratulations!

Darcy