Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your opinions needed: Deciding on a Goal Weight (or Range)

Your opinions are needed:

I've been revising my thoughts on what a reasonable goal weight or goal weight range, would be. How did you decide?:)

For example, I've quite publicly struggled just to nudge my BMI under 30 so I'd no longer be 'obese'. OK, cool, got that one done, I'm at a BMI of 29 and some change, but I'm no where near being where I want to be. But how do we decide where that is?

I am still well, not obese, but still overweight. I look a lot better, but want to look GREAT.

From my original LapBand surgeon's goal - I would have been like 20# from what he considered to be a goal weight. Don't get me wrong, I would be delighted to lose 20 more pounds, but this man didn't think I'd even get near that weight. Granted I've been banded a zillion years (OK, five) and I've crawled to get toward goal.

So even back when I was 10# heavier than my current weight, he felt like I looked great, and would probably not lose any more weight with the band. We disagreed on that point.

Now, I have a new fill doctor who thinks I might be able to get closer to the Finish Line, and I'm losing again. But he's left it up to me to determine what that is. Help!:phanvan

A BMI of 25 would no longer be overweight, but just 'normal weight.' To get to a BMI of 25 I'd need to lose like 30# more pounds. Honestly I don't know if my body would let me peel off 30 more - but that would take me to my lightest weight as an adult. I'd be officially very thin - I don't even know what size but I'd be a serious single digit then. If I got to that weight, and was still healthy, oh goodness, I'd be in total shock.

:faint:

So I'd sure like to know if other people set their goal weights based on when they thought they looked good, their high school graduation weight or a number a doctor set. Does anyone use BMI charts to help them decide? Is anyone else aiming for a "normal weight range" or am I being ridiculous?

Weigh in (pun intended) with your thoughts: Did you pick a number, a clothes size, or a BMI or range - for your goal? Tell us.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

I know I despaired over my weight and felt fat and disgusting and couldnt buy decent clothes when I was in my early twenties and occasionally nudged 84kg. I was 84kg at 15 and my teenage years were miserable. I didnt wear jeans for about 8 years becuase back in those days nothing went over a size 14. I"m also very tall so although I'd now feel positively willowly at that weight, I was a "big" girl and bigger than most boys and just never felt feminine. Once or twice I got down to about 72kg and I felt fantastic at that weight, but to be honest, I could have lost more, but I just couldnt get below 72.

I know I would look and feel absolutly fabulous at 65kg (that's somewhere around 145lb I think), but I've never weighed that and I'm not sure its possible. At the moment I'm aiming for 75 because I know that whilst I wasnt really thrilled with my body at that weight (even though it was my low end of normal), the way I wanted to look at 24 is different to what I'll be happy with at 40. Dont get me wrong, if I can get to 65 I will, but I'm going to get to 75 first and take it from there.

I am going to be interested in lowering my weight to improve my running too because I'm hooked now so its going to be more than just about how I look.

For the record, my BMI now at 92kg is 29, I've got loads to lose still, at 84kg would be 27 and at 75 it was 24. 65kg would be a BMI of 21. I'm not really small boned but not large boned either so towards the lower end of my healthy weight range is better for me.

Also, last time I was 84kg I was much younger and like most people as they age, I no longer carry that much weight around my face, so I had fifty chins back then whereas I dont now, its very hard to judge how you'll look at the same weight 20 or more years later.

I am sort of "winging it." I know my ideal range according to charts. I am thinking that I will be happy around 160, but I have my goal listed as 150. I am 5'8" female. I will no longer be overweight. I already feel better and confident. I was 140 when I was 19. I know my body is capable of that weight range.

Sooo, this is a great question. 5 years with the band is incredible for the US. You have done wonderful. Congrats.

Shawn

I looked at height weight charts to find the "ideal" I chose at the top end of ideal and that is my starting point for a final goal. If I never make it all the way there oh well, but I am sure as heck gonna try :confused: Also remeber obese people build up a lot of muscle and heavy bone mass from carrying so much extra weight. Your ideal will probably be a little bit higher than the charts.

If I lose another 10 pounds my BMI will be "normal", so I guess that's my ultimate goal. I don't actually care if I make it or not, however. I am wearing size 4 jeans (2 if they stretch) and it's hard to find age appropriate clothing. Somehow, a thong peeking out of low-riding pants just doesn't suit me at this stage of my life.

I set my goal based on what I thought I could accomplish without obsessing about every bite of food I take. I know I could weigh 130 and look awesome, but I gave myself a little room and decided on a goal of 150. If I'm 150 and still keep on losing then good for me, but I'd hate to choose a small goal and then be dissapointed if I can't make it.

I'm 276.5 as of this morning, so I've still got a long way to go, no band to help me along.

Wow I just realized I only need to lose 126lbs. I dont know why but I was convinced it was a lot more.

I actually remember what I looked and felt like at various weights. I didn't start putting on weight until I was around 30 years old, after baby. I looked good and felt good - not skinny, just good. My Dr.s formula is for me to lose 70% of the amount that is excess of ideal weight. I.E. I am 5'5", 230 lbs and ideal weight is 130. That is 100 lbs excess. I should expect to lose 70% of that. Now that puts me about 30 lb more that I think I should reach. So, if that is what he wants to write in my chart that's OK, but it's not good enough for me. However, I'm not going to be obsessive about it.

It's my life, my band and my money.

I chose my goal weight based on what my surgeon said I should weigh from insurance height/weight charts. I am FAR away from my ultimate goal and now just set mini goals of 10 pounds. When will I know I have reached the ideal weight for me? When I look in the mirror and like what I see reflecting back at me.

Wow, these are some great insights.

I see quite a few of us are relying on Height/Weight charts but I like the comment (by waterlily) about the fact that our muscle/bone mass is heavier after having to accommodate carrying more mass when were obese. This is something to definitely think about. Even now, without a doubt, my leg muscles are stronger and thicker for having to haul around all that body weight for years. So it stands to reason that even at a certain size, I might weigh more than someone who had never been obese.

I know I want to get to a single digit size, if I possibly can. I say I'd like to get to a USA Size 10 (which looks good on me since I'm relatively tall with long legs) but if I could actually get myself down to a Juniors Size 9 (which is VERY different from a Misses sizes 10) then I'd have a whole expanded series of fashion options. But what is most important is that I find a healthy, safe size that I can maintain. If I pick some size I can only winnow down to one time (or for one month) then I haven't done myself any favors.

I appreciate everyone's continued opinions and insights.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

Oh, yeah. Another thing, I have never accepted the image that looks back at me in the mirror. I am truly shocked when I walk by a plate glass window and unexpectedly see myself. I don't recognize me. I think when I know that person looking back, I will be there.

New Sho--

Great question!!! I routinely figure out my patients IBW (ideal body wt) the thing I read was at 5 ft tall females get 105lbs then each inch you add 5lbs.....so at my ht of 5'10" I should weigh 155lbs....then the top is to add another 10% so my top would be 15more lbs.....170lbs. I have NEVER been thin in my life....I have NO CLUE what would look good for me! I graduated HS over 200lbs I believe?!! I am guessing and saying around 165-175lbs....but I am also saying that when I FEEL great and am happy w/ where I am w/o struggling every moment then I'm there!! I would be happy in a size 10.....anythings better than a 26/28!!!!!!!!!! :) I am wearing 22 today!! YAY!! I'm on my way!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -44lbs :)

I talked with my fill Dr. and he agreed to let me do the following. When I get between 150 - 160 we will start taking fill out, .25cc - .5cc. at a time. We will stop when I am able to eat a normal meals. When I reach the point where I can maintain we will stop removing fill and I will consider that my goal weight. I am hoping for about 145, but don't actually have a goal weight set.

I first set my goal at 150 and then I was like, I didn't even weigh that in high school and I was think back then! So, I changed it to 160, which is maybe 5 lbs less than I weighed in HS. We'll see. I like worrying about my more practical mini-goals, rather than the overall picture.

I first set my goal at 150 and then I was like, I didn't even weigh that in high school and I was thin back then! So, I changed it to 160, which is maybe 5 lbs less than I weighed in HS. We'll see. I like worrying about my more practical mini-goals, rather than the overall picture.

Now that's a good point, LoveCats. (I love your name it reminds me of The Cure song and I love 80s British pop music ) I think I do better when I set smaller, mini-goals but for this new doctor, I understand him wanting me to set realistic overall goals. I will keep working on this, and everyone is invited to keep offering opinions!

Happy Band (and Life) Journeys To All....

NewSho: I've been struggling with this question, too. All the height-weight charts tell me that I shouldn't be above 160 lbs, but I know myself...when I start dipping below 175lbs, I feel awful and look too thin.

I consulted my primary care physician as well as my band surgeon and they both agreed that, rather than focusing on a weight goal, I should focus on achieving at body fat percentage goal. Both agree with me that I should aim for below 200lbs, but after that, I should focus on aiming for about 25% body fat...which would put me in the healthy, "average" range.

Ask your doc if he/she is able to measure your body fat percentage right now...knowing this will help you calculate how much of your weight is fat and how much is Lean Body Mass...all your bones, guts, muscles, etc. SOmetimes, a weight we think is achievable and reasonable is completely not safe for us...women in particular, need b/w 10-12% of their body weight to be fat in order for everything to work properly...including our reproductive functions.

A good website that can break down how to calculate everything can be found at http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm .

Good luck!!!