Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Answers about Sleeve Please!

Oh my goodness, they are absolutely beautiful! I have a chocolate and golden myself. I agree with VegasAngel, how will you be able to give any of them up! They are such sweeties.

I know they are soooooo cute! I really am enjoying them, But I guess the fact that I know they will not stay puppies for ever helps me decide on not to keep any of them! lol

Labs are very special Dogs. They require alot of attention! if you dont they will LITERALY tear your house apart!:scared0:

My Husband wants to keep one but OH NO!!!!! I am the one that stays home and deals with all of them! :angry:I have enough to deal with! :svengo:

I have a band. Just PB'd about 15 minutes ago. Back to fluids for two days. I was under a lot of stress lately and put on a nicotine patch. Good god....nicotine + sweet spot= disaster.

You have to be very careful and very aware of everything with the band. Love the weight loss, but I would never suggest it is better then the sleeve.

I know they are soooooo cute! I really am enjoying them, But I guess the fact that I know they will not stay puppies for ever helps me decide on not to keep any of them! lol

Labs are very special Dogs. They require alot of attention! if you dont they will LITERALY tear your house apart!:scared0:

My Husband wants to keep one but OH NO!!!!! I am the one that stays home and deals with all of them! :angry:I have enough to deal with! :svengo:

See, I have heard that about labs from several people. I have two now and have owned them in the past, but have never had that problem. As long as I have bones and plenty of chew toys, they have been the best behaved dogs I have ever owned.

I have a band. Just PB'd about 15 minutes ago. Back to fluids for two days. I was under a lot of stress lately and put on a nicotine patch. Good god....nicotine + sweet spot= disaster.

You have to be very careful and very aware of everything with the band. Love the weight loss, but I would never suggest it is better then the sleeve.

Exactly, you have to constantly think about every bite you are putting in your mouth. You have to be conscious of when you are feeling stress, because that may cause your band to tighten, for the ladies, when it is that time of the month. It just seems like you have to constantly think about it. With the sleeve, I don't. I don't worry about getting stuck, pb'ing or anything. I just have to make myself stop the minute I get my full sign, or it is very uncomfortable. Life is so much easier now.

First of all, I am so sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum,

Second, I cant seem to find an answer to all of my questions about life with the sleeve....

I am going to post a whole bunch of questions and you dont have to answer all of them, only the one you know the answer to (just to make it easier)

I Live in theTexas Border and I am currently going to

DR. MICHAEL C. MORRIS, M.D. (Lone Star Surgical)

General, Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon

He is a fairly young Dr. But He's the Trauma Director, Sub-director of ICU and Medical Director of Bariatrics at the Laredo Medical Center. (One of the Only 2 hospitals we have here)

So I thought it was one of my best choices.....

(Any Comments on Dr Morris?? Has anybody here been sleeved by him??)

Anyhow.... as for my questions...

I am Hispanic, so our foods are TRADITIONAL, We dont eat them often but when we do I would love to at least have a taste...

1-Compared to the lapband how difficult is it to eat "whatever"? Am I going to feel like I am going to die if I have a bite of something not considered Diet food??

2-Does the sleeve control your life as much as the band?

3-Has anybody gotten pregnant with the sleeve? If so how did it affect you?

4-Can you vomit with out any consequences? Unlike the band that puking is a BIG NO NO! (I mean 10 months after my surgery, if I get the Flu, will I be ok to let it take its course with all the puking?)

5-Do you get MALNURISHED with the sleeve?

6-Once you have reached your weight goal....can you STOP loosing weight? ( I dont want to be 5'7 and be 98lbs you know?)

7-Will I have to visit my DR every 2-3 weeks like with the band for the rest of my life??

8-WORST PART ABOUT HAVING THE SLEEVE??

9-CAN YOU DO SIT UPS AND CRUNCHES WITH THE SLEEVE?

(dumb question I know)

10-Is weight loss really alot faster with the sleeve than with the band??

11-Worst part about the sleeve Diet?

Ok I think that is all for now:blushing:

Knowing me I will probably have more later.....

Thank You :thumbup:!!!

I won't respond to everything since others have addressed these issues but I will tell you that NO! The sleeve does not control your life the way a band does. A band gone bad affects every single aspect of your life. Social, personal, employment, health, everything. It affects every aspect of your life. A sleeve is like a band that works without all the risks and complications. It's just a difference of night and day.

I totally relate to having to see your band surgeon every 2-3 weeks, I did that too. I got to the point it would have been cheaper to rent an apt in Mexicali and just live there!

Nutrition is easier with a sleeve, you don't have to knock out vegetables or other fibrous foods. You get to poop with a sleeve! ;o) Check out the band boards, most are chronically constipated.

A sleeve is great. You won't believe it until you experience it but it really is, it is 10,000x better than banding. You have your surgery and wave bye bye to your surgeon for good because you won't be coming back every 2-3 weeks for problems.

I told my surgeon byeeeeee byeeeeeeee, so long, ta taaaa, nice knowing you, time for me to go now, I won't be seeing you again so maybe I'll see you in my next life! I spent so much time there while I was banded it feels great to tell him bye bye for good! ;o)))) He's a kind hearted and wonderful man but I don't want to *have* to go see him anymore.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

(Any Comments on Dr Morris?? Has anybody here been sleeved by him??)

I'm not familiar with him, but I would ask any surgeon:

1) How many sleeves have you done?

2) What size boughie do you use?

3) What kind of EWL do your sleeve patients have?

4) What's your complication rate?

1-Compared to the lapband how difficult is it to eat "whatever"? Am I going to feel like I am going to die if I have a bite of something not considered Diet food??

This has been my experience... I can eat pretty much anything I want if I'm careful and stop when I get full. Any food will hurt if I eat too much or too fast but there is no food I can't eat if I really want to and am willing to take the time.

The only exception is that I have developed mild lactose intolerance so I can't drink a lot of milk without getting a tummy ache (and sometimes diarrhea).

2-Does the sleeve control your life as much as the band?

Never had a band. But part of why I didn't get one was because some people seemed like a big slave to it.

3-Has anybody gotten pregnant with the sleeve? If so how did it affect you?

Lots of people have. I'm 51 so I better not be getting pregnant!! :blush: But there are people who have and they don't seem to have any particular problems. That's true for all the WLS types though. The main problem I've seen is that people gain some baby weight and then don't always get it off. Also, with the band, sometimes they don't get their sweet spot back.

4-Can you vomit with out any consequences? Unlike the band that puking is a BIG NO NO! (I mean 10 months after my surgery, if I get the Flu, will I be ok to let it take its course with all the puking?)

Puke away... um, if you want to. I hate to puke, personally.

5-Do you get MALNURISHED with the sleeve?

Only if you want to be. If you don't take your Vitamins or eat right, you can get in trouble, but it's really hard to do. We absorb every calorie we eat so there is little room for malnourishment.

6-Once you have reached your weight goal....can you STOP loosing weight? ( I dont want to be 5'7 and be 98lbs you know?)

IME you can easily eat 1500-1700 calories a day with a sleeve and most of us don't need to eat that many, except in special circumstances (pregnant, athletic).

7-Will I have to visit my DR every 2-3 weeks like with the band for the rest of my life??

Nope. I see my surgeon a lot (more than most from what I can tell) but the most I've seen him is every 2 months.

8-WORST PART ABOUT HAVING THE SLEEVE??

Um..... <crickets>

Okay, sometimes I want to eat something. Let's say dessert. I think I've saved room for it, but I haven't. There is *nothing* I can do to make room for it. Except wait it out.

Some times that pisses me off. :thumbup:

9-CAN YOU DO SIT UPS AND CRUNCHES WITH THE SLEEVE?
Yep. I work out with a personal trainer 1x a week and we do all sorts of core work. I also do some with other workouts I do.
10-Is weight loss really alot faster with the sleeve than with the band??

I lost 32 lb. pre-op just making lifestyle changes. It took me 7 months. At 7 months out post-op, I had lost 63 pounds. So almost twice as much in the same timeframe.

That seems faster than what I've seen with the band.

11-Worst part about the sleeve Diet?

Having to wait 45 min. to start drinking again.

Your puppies are SOOOOOOO CUTE!!! I love labs. We have two yellow labs. They are sisters (litter mates). We couldn't decide between them so we got them both. For the record, not something I would recommend doing. It was our "pretest for children". If we could keep the puppies alive for a year, we would start having babies. Well....nine years later, we have a couple of wonderful sweet dogs and two little boys.

For the record, puppies are much easier than children:laugh0:

your puppies are sooooooo cute!!! I love labs. We have two yellow labs. They are sisters (litter mates). We couldn't decide between them so we got them both. For the record, not something i would recommend doing. It was our "pretest for children". If we could keep the puppies alive for a year, we would start having babies. Well....nine years later, we have a couple of wonderful sweet dogs and two little boys.

For the record, puppies are much easier than children:laugh0:

you got that right!!!

I just ate a small brownie. I know my bad. I was invited for dinner, what can I say. A couple hours after we ate, dessert was offered. All I know is I feel so stuffed now, there is no way I could eat another one. In the past, I could have eaten the whole pan.

still debating...

OK then, my own opinion:

Lap Band: Should be banned in the United States. If you've done your research, you know the amazingly high complication and failure rates (not to mention permanent structural damage to the stomach).

VSG: Absolutely wonderful!!! All of MacMadame's answers above pretty much summarize my feelings. It's just amazing how NORMAL I feel getting full on so little food, and not feeling like I'm missing anything.