Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's discuss "the foamies" and "sliming"

I haven't had this happen in a long time. Today I got home from the gym and decided to eat a handful of raisins. I don't know if I didn't chew them well enough or what. The foam and sliming went on and on until finally the raisins came up. I am almost 5 months from my surgery date, and I guess I thought I knew how to eat now, and I guessed wrong.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I still do this at one year out. Just not very often compared to the early days.

Ok, Maybe something is wrong with me, I am not sure. After reading your comments I am thinking that there must be something wrong with my stomach. I am mostly on liquids even though I am 6 weeks out from surgery. I have the constant saliva all day and all night. So much so that I am throwing up when I first wake up in the morning and it is tons of saliva, and sometimes in the evening the same thing happens.

I am only eating one solid meal a day and not much at all because of the pain that I feel when I eat solids. It is frustrating and unattractive to have to spit ALL the time!

Ughhh, any advice for me? I have spoken with my doc and he did an upper GI and said all was well. What can I do to get rid of this "Spits"....

Sounds like you're sliming. You need to eat or drink tiny little portions and then wait and see what happens. At that time, I was still drinking Protein Drinks l 2 oz every 20 min. I was supposed to move to mushies, then solids, but I could only eat 2 bites so I depended on Protein drinks for the most part.

Sounds like you're sliming. You need to eat or drink tiny little portions and then wait and see what happens. At that time, I was still drinking Protein drinks l 2 oz every 20 min. I was supposed to move to mushies, then solids, but I could only eat 2 bites so I depended on Protein drinks for the most part.

Thanks I appreciate your response. I will try that and see what happens. It has really become annoying at this point. I am really not eating that much because I can only take about two table spoons and then I am full and there is still discomfort so I stay away from solids.

I had this tonight for the first time, and its not something I'd like to repeat.... I wasn't sick, but I hated the trying to swallow the saliva and you get almost a bubble effect where you just can't swallow it..... so spitting was the only answer.

I put mine down to eating too much and too fast. i am still leaving stuff on my plate so need to get my head around my new TINY portion sizes!!

It has taken me a good 3 months to finally get it !!! When I eat too fast, eat too much, or don't chew my food well I immediately start feeling this slimey feeling in my mouth....kinda like a nauseus feeling....then I have to RUN to go throw up. I HATED THAT FEELING !!! I was so afraid that I would do it in a public place !!! I never did, I was always at home, thank goodness.

I now use my little plates, and if something doesn't look like its enough food (cause my head is still in presurgery days, sometimes) THEN I KNOW IT IS JUST ENOUGH !! If ONE bite feels like I'm full....I STOP !!! Get rid of the plate and get the food out of my sight, otherwise I'll sit there and pick at it and get sick.

Weighing my food has helped tremendously. I only eat about 2 or 3 bites of veggies and/or fruit AFTER I have weighed out my Protein to only 2-3 ounces.

I'm glad I found this thread. My foamies just began last week. It definitely seems to come from eating too much/too fast. I am 3 months out, and eating too much affects me more now than at 8 weeks. I have to be really careful and slow with solid Protein. Yesterday I ate too much twice! I was so annoyed with myself. TMI WARNING: I had to make myself throw up to get rid of some pressure. It was not pleasant.

I hope I learn soon.

I've had this on a few occasions. I don't think it has to do with the quantity of food, but rather what I'm eating. I've been able to consume a fair bit of food without any problems. On other occasions, I've taken one bite and got major sliming/esophageal pain. Incidentally, the 2 times it happened recently, some form of bread was involved (Greek pita bread first time, bannock the 2nd). Interestingly, I've eaten other types of bread (naan, sourdough, soft tortilla) on other occasions, and it was fine. It seems that these problems arise only if it's very dense bread and I don't chew enough.

For the most part, it does go away. It's very common for months.

I was on liquids for a long time, way past when I was supposed to advance to mushies.

All I can say is don't push yourself. I am 16 months past surgery now, and it still happens occasionally. Eating with the sleeve is a learning process. Chew very well, wait between bites. That is the best advice I can give to avoid this. Also, you will be more full 20 min past when you think you're full. It's true that it takes 20 min for your brain and stomach to catch up. I had to learn to stop before I am full, cause I know now in 20 min I would be way too full, if I ate until I was full.

I am only 1 month out now, but this has happened to me about 4 times. I am noticing that it is 95% due to me not paying attention when I eat because I am chatting, or looking at the people in the restaurant, or forget that I am a sleeved person now.

The last time it happened was in this new little greek place we wanted to try out. I had taken about 3 bites and wham, I feel it starting, I got scared because there was only one bathroom in the place and there was a couple people waiting for it. I was about to grab my Water cup and hurl into it in a corner when the bathroom opened up...omg it was awful I HATE the feeling of having to hurl. Once it was done I came back and waited about 15min then slowly chewed on a couple of soft fries...I took the rest of the dinner home to the dog.

Oh I'm Greek and I love Greek food!

I hope all of you learn to chew your food very well and eat slowly.

After awhile, it's not as important, but it's really important at first.

I am still investigating the sleeve so this is wonderful "REAL" information to read. EVerything else I have been reading made the sleeve seem like it was 'Heave" so this brought a reality check in. I was wondering, did anyone every have the dr show them with something tangible, just what size their stomach really is now. To hold something tangible while measuring your food might make it easier to see just how little food is really needed.

Also, another question. After reading one of the post that said 1/8 cup, :( that sounds like such a little amount. Does anyone every feel washed out, tired, dizzy from not getting enough nutrients?

thanks

MBOSKI

investigating sleeve

5'4 220 lbs