Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's discuss "the foamies" and "sliming"

The only real advantage to doing this is that it will take awhile to drink your Protein shakes and if you just pour a little at a time the rest will stay cold. ;o)

liquids will leave your stomach very quickly, it's not going to stay there like a solid Protein.< /p>

So I don't have to wait 2 hrs before drinking the next 1/8 cup, right?

At least I don't have to go back to work until August 13 (teacher here):rolleyes:

So I don't have to wait 2 hrs before drinking the next 1/8 cup, right?

At least I don't have to go back to work until August 13 (teacher here):rolleyes:

Nooooo, 10 minutes at best.

When you are banded, if something won't go through the band and is stuck, you start sliming. Saliva keeps coming into your mouth and you have to spit it out. Swallowing it does no good because then there is more of it.

Now with the sleeve, it's difficult to figure out how much to eat when you get to solids. I've made the mistake of eating until I thought I was full, but it turned out I was actually too full. Since it takes awhile for the brain to tell the stomach that it's full, I need to learn to stop before I am full.

So that's where the foamies come in. It's basically just like sliming if you have experienced that with a band. I only learned the term from trying to figure out what causes it and reading that other board.

Since we have so many new people who are newly sleeved and have no band, I thought people should know what to expect if you eat too much.

Maybe somebody who has had their sleeve longer than me can explain it better.

Hi Everyone,

I had some of these same issues with the sleeve but mostly at first when I was not taking small enough bites and not chewing up my food first. More or less eating too fast. I also had a hernia repaired when I was there for surgery and I thought that might be some of my problem. You really need to stop eating and put your spoon or fork down between bites, it really makes a world of difference, at least for me.

Have a great day,

:001_wub:

Oh I know it can't get stuck - it just feels as though it does. I don't think I can take any smaller sips than I already am; however' date=' I may be drinking too fast because I'm so thirsty all the time. I'm see Dr. Aceves when Bob has his surgery on 7/11 and he's going to do an upper GI so hopefully he'll be able to tell what's going on.

Gotta run -- massage time .... mmmmmmmm[/b']

I never have this problem with Protein drinks. I can drink a Protein Drink right down, and they are 8oz. I don't have the problem with soft foods or mushy foods either.

Solid hard Protein it's very hard to judge how much to eat and when I think it's only a tiny bit, it's still too much. I am learning.

I eat these little tiny cans of chicken salad. They are the perfect size for me. If I eat solid protein, and pile it up so that it looks like the amount in that little can, it's still way too much, and this sliming or foamies or whatever you want to call it, goes on and on. It's miserable.

I really miss being able to guzzle down my drinks, especially when I am parched. I sometimes forget when I am working out and start to guzzle, then have to run to the ladies room because it hurts and is trying to come back up.

As for the full signal, mine is pretty good. My biggest problem is sometimes I just want one more bite because something tastes so good. I haven't disciplined myself to not take that extra bite, and it usually ends up in my being pretty uncomfortable. I wonder if I will ever learn, lol.

I really miss being able to guzzle down my drinks, especially when I am parched. I sometimes forget when I am working out and start to guzzle, then have to run to the ladies room because it hurts and is trying to come back up.

As for the full signal, mine is pretty good. My biggest problem is sometimes I just want one more bite because something tastes so good. I haven't disciplined myself to not take that extra bite, and it usually ends up in my being pretty uncomfortable. I wonder if I will ever learn, lol.

I miss being able to guzzle down a nice cold bottle of Water too -- I'm lucky to take one or 2 sips before being full. I know this may pass as I am only 3 weeks out from surgery, but I'm so tired of feeling thirsty all the time.

Dr. Aceves told me that everyone will overheat a few times - 3-5 before they learn to listen to their body. So maybe there is hope for you yet?

My biggest hope is to deal with the demons in my head regarding food. Fortunately, my sleeve helps a lot with that.

Nooooo, 10 minutes at best.

LOL

I was wondering how I'd get enough during my 30 min lunch!

That is exactly what it is like for me. It's only happened a couple of times in a year, once was pizza. pizza Hut has these tiny personal pan pizzas and I ate part of one slice and it was too much or I ate too fast, not sure which. It was just like getting stuck with a band in the way you vomit, not like how it is with a whole stomach.

I am pretty good at eye balling portion sizes but where I make a mistake is foods that expand in your stomach. You know how there are some foods that as you swallow and as you swallow saliva the food expands? That is where I mess up every now and again.

liquid can't get stuck. What might be happening is that you are still a newbie and you might be drinking a little too much or too fast. Your stomach isn't expanding yet to hold more than its size.

What kind of foods are problem foods for swelling with saliva wasa? :001_tt2:

What kind of foods are problem foods for swelling with saliva wasa? :001_tt2:

If you eat too much of anything, and you are still swollen or you eat too much, you're going to have a problem with the extra saliva. Any food can cause the problem. You just need to eat small bites and chew really well (if you're on solids) and learn to listen to your body when it tells you you are full. I am 3 weeks post-op and still have a difficult time with the "stuck" feeling, although each day is better.

Pasta is a bad food for swelling up once it is in your tummy. In fact, I had my first foamies last night from eating Pasta. It was an interesting experience, and one I do not care to have again any time soon. I may just stay away from pasta altogether now. The carbs aren't good for me anyways.

The problem I have with solid Protein like pork or beef is that I think I am not eating much, just a tiny bit. But because it's a dense protein, I need to eat less than what I think it the right portion. If I stop when I full, I end up too full. I need to stop before I am full so when the brain catches up with the stomach, I am not too full and miserable.

What kind of foods are problem foods for swelling with saliva wasa? :biggrin0:

Pasta, rice, whole grains, some cereals, anything that swells with Water.

If you take cooked rice and soak it in more Water it's going to swell more. The same thing can happen in your stomach. Then you become overly full.

Well I did it again. I had my son and DIL over for dinner and their brand new 3 week old baby. I had meat loaf, (a very tiny piece) one broccoli flowerette, and one noodle. I thought I was good. Sure enough, 15 min later, the watery mouth starts up. It must have been that one noodle, huh? I have already thrown up a big wad of the foam 3 times (sorry TMI) but my mouth is still watering. I wish I would learn how to eat.