Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never having been put under anesthesia before, I'm not sure of the side effects.

Since my surgery I have found that my sense of smell is so acute that things I found "unpleasant" before down right make me gag now. Is that normal?

Also, aside from the 2 nights in the hospital that I asked for a sleeping "pill" I have not been able to sleep more than one or two hours at time and when I do sleep I have the weirdest dreams.

I haven't had a restful night since I got home so tonight I am seriously considering a Tylenol PM or a benadryl. I think that is another reason I'm running out of steam quicker than normal.

Anyone else have these problems?

My sence of smell is hightened, putting me off lots of food and cigarettes (Which is a good thing!) But I couldn't stay awake, sorry can't help you there!

Since my surgery I have found that my sense of smell is so acute that things I found "unpleasant" before down right make me gag now. Is that normal?

Yes, absolutely normal. It's part of why Protein shakes are hard for many of us to stomach during this time.

My sence of smell is hightened, putting me off lots of food and cigarettes (Which is a good thing!) But I couldn't stay awake, sorry can't help you there!

Bob smokes - he used to never smoke around me; however, before the surgery he started - too much stress I guess - my surgery, new job, etc.

I told him he was going to have to stop as I couldn't stand to be near him - he's got to practically shower after every cigarette (in fact I wish he would) to keep me from gagging ... hopefully it will be a good incentive for him to stop all together.

I even took a benadryl last night and was still awake every 2 hours. That is so different for me as I've not really ever had sleeping problems.

I have insomnia all the time and have had for years. I take a bunch of different stuff. If I took the same thing all the time, it stops working.

I take Ambein, or Restoril but sometimes I take valerian or Kava Kava. Unisom in the orange box is good too. You have to read the ingredients. They have a unisom that is the same ingredient as benedryl, and another one that's a different ingredient.

I have insomnia all the time and have had for years. I take a bunch of different stuff. If I took the same thing all the time, it stops working.

I take Ambein, or Restoril but sometimes I take valerian or Kava Kava. Unisom in the orange box is good too. You have to read the ingredients. They have a unisom that is the same ingredient as benedryl, and another one that's a different ingredient.

I am going to try Tylenol PM tonight - that generally does the trick for me. I need to get some sleep because I am going back to work tomorrow and need to be able to function.

tylenol pm has the same ingredient as bendryl. It's just tylenol with that added to it.

tylenol pm has the same ingredient as bendryl. It's just tylenol with that added to it.

Well I don't know I just know it works -- the thing is, I have to take it at like 7 for it to kick in my 11 and most times I forget ... I'll remember tonight though because I'm really tired

Bob smokes - he used to never smoke around me; however, before the surgery he started - too much stress I guess - my surgery, new job, etc.

I told him he was going to have to stop as I couldn't stand to be near him - he's got to practically shower after every cigarette (in fact I wish he would) to keep me from gagging ... hopefully it will be a good incentive for him to stop all together.

Yep, my husband had me running to be sick everytime he came inside after a smoke, its setteled down now though.

Yep, my husband had me running to be sick everytime he came inside after a smoke, its setteled down now though.

Well I asked Bob to please quit smoking (he needs to anyway) and he has said he wanted to so this is a good reason and as good a time as any.

Edited by VegasAngel

For about a week and a half I had trouble sleeping too. It went away. It was weird.

Oh that would be SO WONDERFUL ... I'm drained. I've never had trouble sleeping before and although I don't need 8 hours, I do need at least 5 without interruption.

Is it any better?

The weirdest thing i notice with anaesthesia is that a few days later I'll get really miserable and cry all day. Every single time.

That and the sore throat from the tube. I also smell like a hospital for a few days.

sleeping can be a problem simply because you spend an entire day sleeping it off, then you're not doing much while you're recovering, so you're just plain not that tired.

Is it any better?

The weirdest thing i notice with anaesthesia is that a few days later I'll get really miserable and cry all day. Every single time.

That and the sore throat from the tube. I also smell like a hospital for a few days.

sleeping can be a problem simply because you spend an entire day sleeping it off, then you're not doing much while you're recovering, so you're just plain not that tired.

No, it's not any better.

I was hoping since I went back to work yesterday and was busy all day - more mentally than physically I must admit and then went to Borders and Wal-Mart afterwards, that I would be able to sleep. I even stayed up until midnight (and was up in the AM at 5:30) and I STILL only slept 90 minutes and then I'd be awake for at least 30 and then another 90. I'm so sick of this. I should have had Dr. A give me a prescription for Ambien. :thumbup: I just never thought sleeping would be one of my problems. :001_smile: