Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Seminar Tonight!

Tonight I'm attending a Seminar for the Gastric Sleeve, Lap Band, and RNY surgeries.

Currently I'm a banded person of 4 years. I'm researching my options of either doing the Sleeve or the RNY-

Why can't the doctors' do a Sleeve and complete it with the RNY re-routing of the intestines? Is this possible? I know when I had my consult a few weeks ago the doc said that normally a person of 500 pounds or more will get the sleeve first to lose a 100 pounds or more THEN they would do the RNY on them to finalize the surgery.... Do these patients have better succes since the sleeve was done first and the main part of the pouch is muscle tissue? I don't know??? I'm just curious.

I'm looking forward to the seminar tonight- I think it's going to be very informational and I'm hoping to finalize my personal decision for me on the sleeve or the RNY-

Next week I'm hoping to schedule my surgery for July sometime. I'm missing my fill restriction in my band- My stomach is always growling and I feel hunger at every moment of the day now that my fill was removed due to my prolapse.

I will let you know how it all goes tonight! Take care and have a good day!:confused1:

Tonight I'm attending a Seminar for the Gastric Sleeve, Lap Band, and RNY surgeries.

Currently I'm a banded person of 4 years. I'm researching my options of either doing the Sleeve or the RNY-

Why can't the doctors' do a Sleeve and complete it with the RNY re-routing of the intestines? Is this possible? I know when I had my consult a few weeks ago the doc said that normally a person of 500 pounds or more will get the sleeve first to lose a 100 pounds or more THEN they would do the RNY on them to finalize the surgery.... Do these patients have better succes since the sleeve was done first and the main part of the pouch is muscle tissue? I don't know??? I'm just curious.

I think your surgeon might have meant doudenal switch (DS) surgery. Bypass is done in one procedure. For very high BMI people, VSG is the first part of the DS surgery.

I'm looking forward to the seminar tonight- I think it's going to be very informational and I'm hoping to finalize my personal decision for me on the sleeve or the RNY-

Next week I'm hoping to schedule my surgery for July sometime. I'm missing my fill restriction in my band- My stomach is always growling and I feel hunger at every moment of the day now that my fill was removed due to my prolapse.

I will let you know how it all goes tonight! Take care and have a good day!:confused1:

Let us know what you decide.

:blink: Yesterday I took half a day off from work and drove almost three hours to go this Mandatory Seminar that covered three weight loss surgeries.

I arrive right on time- The nurse recognized my name- As I've done everything backwards .... Meaning you are supposed to go to the seminar, then have a consult then do the stress test, cardio and pulmonology clearance....

I had the Consult first, did the stress test, cardio and pulmonology test etc.... They told me It was mandatory to go to the seminar as it's part of their requirements for the surgery.

There are two doctors who work together on each surgery. The Dr that I went to did not happen to be there last night. The other doctor began the seminar and within the first few minutes he showed the three surgeries, and this is what he said.

" We care for the Lap Band procedure, the Gastric Sleeve procedure- which we will NOT be talking about today, and the RNY procedure":mad0:

I could not believe they would send me to a seminar knowing that they don't talk about the Sleeve???????? The Dr said that this procedure is only done on 500 pound patients-:o

At any rate, I sat there and listened to the RNY and decided right then and there that was not for me. After class I asked the doctor about the Boughie and he said they do not use that instrument- they use and endescope size 32F- :thumbup1: I told him, that was what I wanted to hear and showed him my scribbles on my note pad- Thanks to this forum I was prepared on size and tools etc ( THANK YOU )

So today, I will call the office to see what my next few steps are..... They did say I would have to sit through a four hour class that talks about the before and afters of the surgery- etc. That should be my last step- other than paying for the surgery and scheduling the date.

THanks to all of you for answering my questions.... Have a great day!:biggrin2:

Lisa - I'm really glad to hear the seminar gave you the answers you needed, and you were able to decide on the surgery that is best for you. . . Good luck on your journey, and I look forward to hearing from you on your progress! ! !

While it sucks that you did not hear about the sleeve, it wasn't a total loss. You learned what you didn't want and got to talk to a surgeon. Great!