Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Weird Food

So I have this rule I make myself follow. Each time I go to the grocery store I have to try some new produce item that I have never tried before. Red or green cauliflower, Yucca root (that was gross, and it is quite literally poisonous unless you cook it), chayote (GREAT STUFF!), Tomatillos...

Well, today my new find is Lychees, English Cucumbers, and a red Tamarillo.

I can figure out what to do with the English Cucs, but what the heck does one do with Lychees and Red Tamarillos? The Lychees look like cool, so ugly they dare you to eat them. ;o)

Suggestions?

I tried weird bananas once, I had no idea there were so many kinds. That was not a winner. The Yucca root was certainly NOT a winner, but most things I have tried I like.

I keep buying eggplant but before I figure out what to do with it, it rots.

the Yucca root sounds like a bad experience before you even start trying to put it in your body! Im funny ha ha funny stranger about that kind of deal!

so....if you see the yucca root in the store again i would be telling him thanks but no thanks. lol tell me they are not like *dates* lmao!

the Yucca root sounds like a bad experience before you even start trying to put it in your body! Im funny ha ha funny stranger about that kind of deal!

so....if you see the yucca root in the store again i would be telling him thanks but no thanks. lol tell me they are not like *dates* lmao!

Thankfully the produce manager caught me before I left the produce dept to make sure I knew Yucca root is poison until it's cooked. I usually try stuff raw first.

Now, I'm a bad cook but who knew I could kill myself by eating something I did not yet cook??? ;o)

Thankfully the produce manager caught me before I left the produce dept to make sure I knew Yucca root is poison until it's cooked. I usually try stuff raw first.

Now, I'm a bad cook but who knew I could kill myself by eating something I did not yet cook??? ;o)

THAT would be pretty bad (and sad, too) ... HA!

I have a rule... if I cant pronounce it, I dont eat it

LOL

seriously, I see all these different products in the store and think - HUH? I dont know what they are, dont know what to do with them.... so I just stick with what I know.

Ive never been one to follow a recipe, so I cant go by that either. I guess Im a creature of habit.

But I applaud ya for trying new things. I dont think I could be that adventurous

I have a rule... if I cant pronounce it, I dont eat it

LOL

seriously, I see all these different products in the store and think - HUH? I dont know what they are, dont know what to do with them.... so I just stick with what I know.

Ive never been one to follow a recipe, so I cant go by that either. I guess Im a creature of habit.

But I applaud ya for trying new things. I dont think I could be that adventurous

You know, I just tried the lychees or whatever they are yesterday. I have to say, not bad! They are $5.00/pound so I won't be buying them in huge quantities but it's fun to try something new. If I don't like it, it goes in the trash. If I like it, I buy more. ;o)

I have to tell you what I made that I though "well I will try it" it was so yummy. Yellow Zuchinni drizzled with fat free Italian dressing and salt and pepper. I put it in tin foil and put it on the grill. It was so good.

I've been wondering if it might be better to just not put anything solid into the tummy the day before surgery...to help limit the gas pains after surgery...I think that's what I will do when I get to that point. Stick to Clear Liquids the day before...

I've been wondering if it might be better to just not put anything solid into the tummy the day before surgery...to help limit the gas pains after surgery...I think that's what I will do when I get to that point. Stick to clear liquids the day before...

The gas you have after surgery isn't in your tummy -- it's in your body cavity where they blow you up to move your organs out of the way, so I doubt liquid the day before will do anything different than those who eat the evening before. Having been through this, I sure as heck wouldn't start liquids before I absolutely had too -- you'll get tired of liquids soon enough believe me.

I just fixed eggplant tonight- delicious! Peel and slice about 1/4 inch. Brush a little olive oil and garlic on both sides. Bake for 15 min at 425 turn and bake an additional 5 min. Dry on paper towels. place 1/2 in greased baking dish. Cover with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Top with a fresh Tomato slice. more parmesan and basil and a little mozzerala cheese. Another layer of eggplant and a little mozzerala. Cover and bake for 20 min in 350 oven then uncover and cook additional 5 min..... delicious!

I just fixed eggplant tonight- delicious! Peel and slice about 1/4 inch. Brush a little olive oil and garlic on both sides. Bake for 15 min at 425 turn and bake an additional 5 min. Dry on paper towels. place 1/2 in greased baking dish. Cover with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Top with a fresh Tomato slice. more parmesan and basil and a little mozzerala cheese. Another layer of eggplant and a little mozzerala. Cover and bake for 20 min in 350 oven then uncover and cook additional 5 min..... delicious!

Sounds very YUMMY!

Having had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, I know what you mean about the gas that is used to insufflate the abdomen. However anytime you have anesthesia, the gut slows down for awhile, because it is anesthetized as well! So you get bowel gas if there is food in it waiting for things to get going again so it can be digested, because stasis causes bowel gas. I'm not concerned about one more day on liquids if it means a more comfortable post-op course...just another opportunity to "lose a few"! :001_smile:

Most places have you on NPO after midnight so that there is no food in your gut and intestines during surgery.

After that, they vary in their protocols. Some have you on a few days of clears prior, some just one day. Some have you take something to clear you out the day before. I had to be on clears for the day before and take Milk of Magnesia (or some alternative whose name I can't remember) the evening before. Then NPO from midnight on.

I would talk to the surgeon about it and why they have the protocols they do, rather than deciding that a certain course of action will have a certain benefit without actually knowing that it will.

The first time I went down (for my band surgery), my sister and I ate in a resturant at the Lucerne....can't remember which one. My sis had mexican type food, I had a steak. Eh...wasn't overly thrilled but I'm pretty picky about my steaks.

When I went back down this past January to accompany a friend for her sleeve, we ate lunch in an Italian style resturant at Lucerne resort. Her carppacio was served still frozen. I can't even remember what I had, I think some sort of pizza. For supper,

we had Chinese food... Mexicali has a HUGE chinese population and their cuisine supposedly rivals that of China Town in any major US City...My lapband was acting up due to flying and I tolerated very little of it that day. However, the Lucerne staff was kind enough to put my "doggie bag" in the fridge with my room number on it and sent me to one of the resort resturants to warm it up for the next nite's supper.

Most of my meals while I was with my friend were eaten at the hospital cafeteria...excellent authentic food, reasonably priced, excellent service. One night that I was down there I asked my driver to stop at Applebees so I could get something easy. They're all truly very accomodating.

I may be staying an extra day at the Lucerne (after discharge from the hospital). Nina assures me that the Lucerne has a "clear fluids" menu just for Dr. Aceves's patients.. lol

Tracy