Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications after Sleeve Surgery

I'm 4 months out and have had 3 episodes of diarrhea - twice in public! I can't figure this out - anyone have any idea. I'm not eating too much.

Is it after any certain type of food you are eating? Are you eating yogurt? Do you take a probiotic?

Is occurring after heavy consumption of full fat or heavy dairy laden foods? Are you having abdominal pain with it?

Do you still have your gallbladder?

Edie, I had my sleeve at Fort Campbell KY, I have tricare prime insurance...so most was paid for even the complications. I did have a hospital bill for around 500.00 and copays...I would say I paid 1,000 or a little more out of pocket. It would have only been around 30.00 without the complications. Doing great and living and loving life!!! Down about 60 lbs 20 lbs to goal. Hernia and tummy to get done in November.

I too have TriCare Prime and they have said that they do not cover the Sleeve because it is considered experimental. How did you get them to cover it?? Did you have to petition them or is it because of any unique conditions you may have? Did you have to fail one of the other types of surgrey? I am desperately trying to get the surgery as I am 5'2" and weigh 251 lbs. and increasing. I am in Biloxi, MS and I have TriCare Prime through the South region. Any information that you care to share with me would be fantastic.

I too have TriCare Prime and they have said that they do not cover the Sleeve because it is considered experimental. How did you get them to cover it?? Did you have to petition them or is it because of any unique conditions you may have? Did you have to fail one of the other types of surgrey? I am desperately trying to get the surgery as I am 5'2" and weigh 251 lbs. and increasing. I am in Biloxi, MS and I have TriCare Prime through the South region. Any information that you care to share with me would be fantastic.

Edie, I am now just over 2 years out. I have been successful and happy about my sleeve. I was one of the last to receive the sleeve. I hear of talk of it coming back. What I understand was that as a trial Fort Campbell was allowed to do 40 sleeves and I was lucky enough to have it rather than rny. Best luck ... just see what you can find out from tricare. Joy

The leak could have happened in the OR but not be big enough to find. Or it could be from improper healing. Or patient "non-compliance" (That's medical talk for you ate something you were told not to.) Or there could have been symptoms right away but they were overlooked.

Those are all things that could happen and have happened to various people.

My doctor has his patients on a three week liquid diet post surgery and he said this has put his leaks down to virtually zero, it will be hard, but I’m scared enough to not want to risk going again this regiment.

P

my only problem is severe malabsorption of Vitamin D. . . I'm on prescription D along with daily D3 and if this doesn't bring the level up, well to the hospital i go. . . i have an appt with doctor in April to find out my fate. . . will let ya'll know! Cheers :)

PS: And please, it's not as easy as take a Vitamin or eat a mushroom or go soak up the sun! It's a real problem.

No problems except reflux, but a year out it is so much better. I take Prilosec very occasionally and a lot of times I just take 1/2 of one and that seems to work just as well. Walking after meals helps the food go down.

I count my blessings, truly. I have heard you can buy complication insurance. You could post it on a separate message and someone could give you the info.

I attribute my success to homemade chicken broth and koolaid. It got me through.

Nothing is more important than the right doctor in my opinion. I was self pay and did not go through all the classes, big mistake. I should have gone to a bigger clinic here in Houston so I would have more before/after support groups just for the sleeve patients bc I had some problems initially and needed support. In Houston Dr. Robert Davis and Dr. Garth Davis is who I recommend for that reason and because he is a great surgeon and a nice man. I didn't know about him before so I went to a good surgeon, but even though he is a Center of Excellence it is small with minimal support. But he did a good job on my surgery.

In Mexico everyone seems to recommend Aceves mostly. But personally, I would find a good doctor in the states, pay the money, and buy the complication insurance because if you have a problem you don't want your doctor in another country. Many times bariatric surgeons do not want to treat patients with complications if it is not their patient. I'm sure you understand why, they probably are highly irritated already that you didn't have surgery here in this country and then if they have to fix you...I would not choose that route unless I had to. But lots of people go to Mexico and do great. It is just a personal thing of knowing I have care in place near my home.

My insurance paid for NOTHING, and my surgery was $14k. I have probably saved a lot of that back on food and medicine, so I consider it an investment.

Oh I did have one problem...nothing fit anymore from underwear to shoes to bras to t-shirts to jeans to dresses to jewelry (my neck is smaller now). SO I had to do all this shopping over and over again. It was so hard :) I had to change and not shop at Lane Bryant anymore too, and find new stores.

For me it was a great experience. I am having a lot of trouble getting off the last lbs but if I would exercise it would help.

pumpkin, I totally love your story, especially the shopping "problems" . . . that is hilarious! thanks for sharing! Congratulations on your success. . .the last few pounds are tough, but together we'll get there! CHEERS

I'm 6 months out, no problems here. No acid reflux anymore. I'm taking vitam D too but my levels were low before surgery, Now they have doubled so I think I'm in the right path.

Were you NPO when you were home with your feeding tube?

I had similar complications, infections, lung collapse, pnumonia, abscesses etc.....Now I cannot eat or drink anything by mouth and I having a hard time dealing with it.

Hi, my name is Joy. I am the 1% with major complications. I was found to have a leak 2 weeks out. I will be 6 months out on June 16th and have now lost 52 lbs. Beginning weight 190 now 139. I am only 4 ft 10 in. goal weight 115. Here is my story...

I began having back pain and trouble breathing just before my 2 week check-up. I came in and saw the nurse and she said if I was not feeling better the next day to come back in and I would speak with the surgeon. Sure enough...my 1st real meal (a 2 oz. omlette w/cheese). I felt horrible. I headed in to see the surgeon at 9 am. I had an Upper GI, CAT Scan, and another Upper GI to verify the leak. I was rushed into surgery and then spent 10 days in the ICU. Many complications followed; 2 abcess, infections, lung collapse. 4 days on the ward, 2 weeks of high fevers another admission for 12 days. IV antibotics at home for 2 weeks and I was on the feeding tube for 3 months and 1800 calories a day. So, it took me longer to loose the weight.

Now... I am up going to Curves, walking, and doing Water aerobics. I have lost 10 dress sizes (started size 20 now an 8 -10). 23 lbs from goal weight! Happy and healthier. I have a wound that still has not healed and and a rather large hernia. They want to wait to fix the hernia...so the can fix the tummy at the same time.

If anyone wants to talk about complications...I will be glad to talk.

Were you NPO when you were home with your feeding tube?

I had similar complications, infections, lung collapse, pnumonia, abscesses etc.....Now I cannot eat or drink anything by mouth and I having a hard time dealing with it.

Kim and Moore's post really scare me. To be honest, this scares the hell out of me. Does the leak cause the lung to collapse? How do tell the difference between normal post op pain and something more serious?!?! :eek:

Thanks!!

I'm an old RN ...ha,ha! Practiced for abt. 30 years until I retired a few years ago. Glad to see others on the site.

I had the sleeve 12/18/09. On 1/2/10 I was directly admitted to the ICU with bilateral DVT's and a massive pulmonary embolism.... Four doctors told me that when I passed out at home, it should have been me collapsing because I was DEAD.... Six months later, I'm on blood thinners (for life, because the IVC filter I had put in on 1/2/10 was not able to be retrieved in March due to it growing into my vein wall). If there is ONE THING I can advise to people, is to DRINK, DRINK, DRINK! I went from being overhydrated on IV fluids post-op, to about only 5 oz intake per day at home. I should have seen it coming (as a nurse), but rationalized all my symptoms to make myself think that I was ok..... sunken in eyes, little urine output, pain in the back of my leg, and a fast heartbeat.

To all future sleevers, please take my advice. I'm glad to be alive to give it...

Teri

Were you on blood thinners when you left the hospital? Heprin?

Kim and Moore's post really scare me. To be honest, this scares the hell out of me. Does the leak cause the lung to collapse? How do tell the difference between normal post op pain and something more serious?!?! :eek:

Thanks!!

I wish someone would answer that question too?.. whats the difference between the post op pain and the leak pain or something serious?!

I wish someone would answer that question too?.. whats the difference between the post op pain and the leak pain or something serious?!

The pain I had with my leak was undeniably excruciating, and have an immensely high pain tolerance. I'm talking doubled over, sweating, nearly passing out from pain. It's nothing like the gas pain you experience after a lap procedure.

Fever, rapid heart rate, vomiting, and excruciating upper abdominal pain are all indicators for a leak.