Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down on Myself and Emotional Eating

Guys I am having a real hard time today. I have to lose 4-5 lbs by June 15th or I don't get a surgery date until I do. I did really good losing the first 5 lbs and fell off the wagon a little last week and really off this weekend. I didn't really overeat I just didn't stick to my diet plan. During the week last week I emotionally ate several times. Again not overeating but not sticking to my diet plan. I am supposed to be doing slim fast to try and get rid of this last 5 lbs. I did do all my exercise this weekend though.

Today I am starving. I have had my slim fast shake, my Protein Shake, and a banana. If I can't go a whole day on just slim fast shakes how am going to do the 3 weeks of liquid after surgery?

Emotionally I am a wreck. I feel like I am never going to be able to do this. That I don't have the willpower. I am destined to be fat. Since starting this journey in April I have never felt so down or defeated (or hungry). I am in danger of screwing up again today because I really am that hungry. I feel like I am going to fall over if I don't eat something more. :thumbup:

Who else struggles with emotional eating, not overeating per say but making bad food choices because you are upset or down?

Slimfast has a LOT of carbs and that's what's keeping you hungry. The pre-op diet I had to do for a week was limited to 30g carbs/day. I could have all the lean meat, chicken, etc., I wanted and was not hungry at all and lost about 8-9 pounds. Remember to keep it low fat so take the skin off the turkey and chicken and select lean cuts of meat.

Post-op is a whole different story. You don't FEEL hungry and you don't want to eat. The hunger hormone is cut out. You CAN do this so don't get down. Post what you eat here daily and we'll help you get that date. Read labels and lose the carbs STAT.

Thanks

Before this crazy slim fast notion I was eating:

Breakfast:

2 pieces of toast with 1 tbl whipped onion and chive cream cheese

Lunch:

3/4 cup cottage cheese

1/2 cup strawberries

banana

Snack:

1/2 cup cheeze its (full flavor)

Dinner:

1 baked chicken breast, no breading or skin cut up in a salad with 1 tbl ceasar dressing. Cold peas, shredded carrots, 1 tbl shredded cheddar, 1/4 cup canned beats rinsed, a few broc flowers.

That is it. I lost weight but then I got nervous that I only have two weeks to go and 4 lbs to lose.

So sorry to hear about your struggles. I can't help you with the pre-op stuff other than to say that it isn't a long time to have to cope with it, but I can assure you that post-op you won't have a problem with the small portions and liquid diet.

Post-op you won't be able to do the wrong thing - so don't worry yourself about that.

Just be strong!

OzCaz

Guys I am having a real hard time today. I have to lose 4-5 lbs by June 15th or I don't get a surgery date until I do. I did really good losing the first 5 lbs and fell off the wagon a little last week and really off this weekend. I didn't really overeat I just didn't stick to my diet plan. During the week last week I emotionally ate several times. Again not overeating but not sticking to my diet plan. I am supposed to be doing slim fast to try and get rid of this last 5 lbs. I did do all my exercise this weekend though.

Today I am starving. I have had my slim fast shake, my Protein shake, and a banana. If I can't go a whole day on just slim fast shakes how am going to do the 3 weeks of liquid after surgery?

Emotionally I am a wreck. I feel like I am never going to be able to do this. That I don't have the willpower. I am destined to be fat. Since starting this journey in April I have never felt so down or defeated (or hungry). I am in danger of screwing up again today because I really am that hungry. I feel like I am going to fall over if I don't eat something more. :blush:

Who else struggles with emotional eating, not overeating per say but making bad food choices because you are upset or down?

I agree with Elisabeth, no more carbs. The more carbs you eat the hungrier you will be. I'd limit ALL carbs for the time being. Once you have surgery and start eating solids I'd limit WHITE carbs to 20gms daily and unlimited good carbs. If it has flour or sugar in it, don't put it in your mouth. The first three days are hard, it's much easier after that.

I hate when doctors make you lose a certain number of pounds before surgery. We are already stressed over the surgery anyway but to put that kind of pressure isn't fair.

My doc has a liver shrinking diet of what Elisabeth wrote above. It shrinks your liver, you lose weight, and you can eat until you are full... all day every day.

Get away from Slim Fast, it's not a good product. Try something like Atkins Advantage, whey gourmet, EAS, something along those lines. Watch carbs in milk. I use whey Gourmet because it does not need milk. For shakes that you need to use milk get Hood Calorie Countdown (milk replacement and better!) or Soy Slender, Elisabeth's find. If you use regular milk you are defeating the purpose of these products because of the carbs.

This is why I hate the requirement to lose weight before surgery. It delays people from getting the medical care they need and, most of the time, it's a luxury, not a medical necessity.

Thanks guys :001_tongue:

I am doing a different high Protein shake now. It has 30 grams and I figured it was time for me to start getting used to them.

I emailed the nutritionist and she said to add some cottage cheese in the afternoon. That helped a lot. I can also eat as much lettuce or spinich as I want (just what I want more lettuce!). I added more last night and I seemed to not be as hungry today when I woke up.

I agree about the weight loss before surgery being counterproductive. If I don't make weight on June 15th then I will have to wait until I can and make another appointment. The only person who can weigh me is the nutritionist and her schedule is a serious problem. For example right now she is booked to the end of July so you can see missing this on the 15th could mean a serious delay. Also if I have gained so much as a pound at my final pre-op appointment or the day of my surgery it will be cancelled until I lose the weight I gained. :scared0:

Lots of pressure and anxiety from this. I feel better today though. Thank you guys so much for your quick support!!!!

I really agree with Elizabeth and WAsA. Eating carbs is defeating your entire purpose. Have you ever looked to see how many carbs there are in one banana?

If you did the basic Atkins diet, there is no way you would be that hungry. Cut out the toast and eat some egg beaters or scambled eggs made mixed with Water when

you scamble them. Every time I started the Atkins diet, I lost 5 lbs in 3 days. It's not a diet that is all that easy to stick to long term, but we are talking 2 weeks here.

We are all going to support you!

Or you could find a different surgeon who doesn't turn pre-op into some sort of test of your earnestness. :laugh0:

I think it's horrible how some programs treat this period. Yes, it's good to lose weight and make your liver easier to work out with. But a good surgeon who operates on the SMO should be able to operate on you just fine if you fall slightly short of your goal.

There is a surgeon in my area who not only requires a loss of 10% body weight (which is not really justified by the literature) but if you are even .5 a lb. short of the goal she sets for you the day before surgery, she cancels it. IMO that is not about medicine and what is good for the patient -- that is about being a control freak and showing them who is boss!

Hi DownInSocal,

I can only say hang on in there. Don't worry about feeling hungry after surgery because you won't. Just hold fast and see this through. Remember 'All things will pass', thats what gets me through difficult times. Focus on the wonderful reward of actually enjoying being alive that you will gain as result of the surgery. And feel the love and support of all of us who have made and are making this journey.

Jane x

How are you doing, SoCal?

Don't forget to drink plenty of Water too. Lots of Water will fill you up and you'll be too busy running to the bathroom to eat!!

Good luck!!

Hi Guys!!

My work has implimented serious restrictions on where we can go on our work computers and at what times during the day. Sucks.

Anyway I have lost 1 more pound so 4 to go by Monday. I doubt I will do it, but it is ok! I will make weight the next time. If I let myself get down about it I will have less motivation. As my husband says "The surgery will be there 4 weeks from now".

I would change doctors but I am in the Navy system. I have no choice if I want to pay nothing for my surgery. If I use my insurance I will be looking at getting denied because my BMI is under 40.

It sucks that I feel the addition of my muscle has shown less weight lost on the scale when my pants are falling off me. It takes more than 5 lbs of loss for your pants to be falling off and needing a belt.

I will report back later this week. If I could just figure out how to zoom in my ipod touch on web pages I could use that to browse this site at work............

Quick update. I had my weigh in this morning and i missed weight by 1 lb. They said it was ok as long as I had lost the 1 lb by my pre op appointment (no problem).

I have to do a final set of labs Wed morning and then I get my pre op appt date and then I will get my surgery date. It looks like I am going to be a July sleever!!!!

Now I need to browse on what to buy for surgery, after surgery, and what to pack......

Quick update. I had my weigh in this morning and i missed weight by 1 lb. They said it was ok as long as I had lost the 1 lb by my pre op appointment (no problem).

I have to do a final set of labs Wed morning and then I get my pre op appt date and then I will get my surgery date. It looks like I am going to be a July sleever!!!!

Now I need to browse on what to buy for surgery, after surgery, and what to pack......

That's FANTASTIC! Congrats to you, YOU DID IT!

I'm thrilled for you, good job!