Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello - This is all new

I am a new member and not sure what I am doing. I am meeting with my doctor on 4-9. Any suggestions for what questions I need to ask him? I am just starting the process of getting approved for the band.:)

First thing I would ask is how many bands has he placed and then I would ask if he has a support group. The support group is very important as far as I am concerned.

Chris has a very good suggestion. If I were choosing a doctor now I'd be interested in what the doctor's POV is on this procedure and, especially, the followup.

But if you're already in with this doctor and don't want to change, for whatever reason, then you should ask for WRITTEN instructions on eating in the postop period. Ask for a rundown of danger signs--as well as what is NOT a sign of something being wrong. (For instance, lots of people think the post-op gas pain is the band slipping, or pulling a stitch, or a heart attack, or whatever.)

And ask him how you and he will decide when a fill is indicated. It just kills me when doctors put pressure on their patients to lose weight before or without a fill--as though the band itself should be enough to help. The doctor should always be willing to discuss a fill if you think it's needed (after the first six weeks, that is), and not be married to some sort of predetermined schedule.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I am not willing to change doctors at this time because he is local and my ob-gyn recommended him.

What is the minimum amount of lapband surgeries should he have done to be confortable in doing the operation and follow-up? I have read any where from 30 to 50. I know that he has do approximately 10 to 12.

My other question is - Do all doctors require the full gamate of testing? I just went through back surgery in Feb. and really don't want to go through everything again.

Again, thanks for everyone's input. This has helped me understand more about the band.

MSKS

Hi MSKS,

Here are some questions I found online and asked my surgeon on the first appointment:

1. What types of obesity surgery procedures have you performed?

2. How many of each weight loss procedure have you performed?

3. Do you perform this surgery using minimally invasive techniques? (laparoscopic)

4. Can I be considered a candidate for surgery even though I have one or more associated health conditions related to my obesity?

5. Which weight loss procedure is best for me? Why? What are the risks involved?

6. How long will I be in surgery?

7. What is the length of my anticipated hospital stay?

8. How long will it be before I can return to pre-surgery levels of activity?

9. How will my eating habits change?

10. Do you have information about obesity surgery costs and payment options?

11. What is the typical excess weight loss and improvement of associated health conditions for your other patients?

12. Do you have patients who are willing to share their experiences, both positive and negative?

13. What information can you give me to help family and friends better understand this surgery?

14. What type of long-term, after-care services (such as support groups and counseling) can you provide for me?

15. What do you expect from me if I decide to choose a surgical solution?

Then you could ask him about the testing that needs to be done before the band. My surgeon requested an EKG, CBC(blood test), Psych eval, and a visit with a nutritionist but they all are a little different. If your surgeon has not done the usual required 50 cases, it might be that he has just started doing them. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't do a good job(from what I've seen, what is really necessary for the surgeon is that he/she be a good laparoscopic surgeon), you may instead ask him how long he has been doing laparoscopic surgery. Hope all this helps.

Take Care and Good Luck,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. The first appointment with my dr. went well and now the waiting game for approval for my insurance has started. The suggested questions were VERY helpful.

Thanks,

msks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches