Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Hi,

I too am a Juneband...I was banded 6/14/06 in Boston at Beth Israel Deaconnes Medical Center by Dr. Benjamin Schneider. I feel great. I have lost 12 pounds...

I was banded on June 9 and lost 10 pounds in five days. I've been down and up two pounds since that time. Bummer isn't it? Let's hope for better results this week! I'm trying not to worry too much--but it doesn't seem fair when you're eating so little! I'm sure things will pick back up again once our bodies have adjusted to all the changes. In the meantime, I go to bed each night with an empty stomach, my legs aren't swollen and sore to walk on and my BP is way down.:confused:

Leila what a beautiful picture. If being overweight didn't have so many negative health issues I'd say you were perfect the way you are.

Welcome to the newcomers to the June list. All the best to all of you getting banded this week.

Devana

Dancing Queen,

Tell me how to get started..I want to go to Mexico to have the procedure done....

Once you start mushies I don't think we can expect huge weight loss. Remember, we aren't restricted yet. Also we are still eating some high carb, high calorie type foods. I don't expect to lose until the first fill or two. I've lost 12 lbs in two weeks. I didn't have a pre surgery diet so this is all from surgery. Now that I've started mushies I think it will only be a 1lb or 2 at best.

Hang in there. Hope everyone is doing OK. I feel great. I get a hard spot below my bra line above the main scar. Not sure if it is the port since it doesn't seem to be there all the time. I notice it more after eating.

:clap2: Surgery Dates the week of June 19 to June 23, 2006 :clap2:

June 9, 2006

Melissa Lea (Melissa Lea)

Mary Ann

Barbara12375

Pinkylee

I'm a June 9th as well. :confused:

I'm on the mushie phase right now. Anything run through a blender is allowed for me. The way my doctor described it is if you don't need teeth to chew it, you can have it. Cream of wheat is a fave! I made some scrambled eggs for lunch yesterday but I added some Carb Countdown milk to it so it would be mushie and took little bites. One thing that helps is I love butter, but obviously I want to stay away. I cooked the egg with some spray but after it was done I shot it with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter to give it a butter taste. I use it with my cream of wheat too. :biggrin1:

Last night for dinner I had mashed banana and some smooth Peanut Butter. Peanut butter and banana sammiches were my fave so this was a nice treat. I took a little peanut butter on my spoon and a little banana. The banana helped the PB go down easily since I can't drink while I eat. :hungry:

Thanks Devana, actually, if it weren't for health reasons I wouldn't have had the surgery, I think people are beautiful at all sizes, but as I continued to gain, my health has been deteriorating rapidly.

For people worried about not losing much weight yet. Remember it's expected that many people won't lose weight until they have given you a fill, maybe more than one to get your band to the restriction level it's supposed to be at. Many people do lose pre-fill, some people don't, and others may even gain weight. It may also take more than one fill to get the right level of restriction for you. I've found that using fitday.com has helped me track what I'm packing away calorie wise, and Protein wise, etc, to try to keep me on track, I've found over the days every day my calorie count has been creeping just a little higher. I kind of had the attitude that I've been eating so little and such low fat foods, that a little mayo or margarine mixed in here or there in my liquidy mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs can't hurt too much can it? Or a little regular sorbet or italian ices here and there instead of sugar free popsicles won't make too much of a difference will it? melting down a chunk of cheese chewing well can't add to many calories right? and wham! found that oh yeah... it's starting to add up! So yesterday when I went grocery shopping I was careful to load up on liquids and makings for mushies that are low fat healthy options. Bought some great liquid egg white mixtures that have added flavours to them "egg creations" is the brand - same calories as plain egg whites - taste -amazing- and I cooked them in a microwave egg poacher soft, let them cool and added a little low cal mayo to them for mock egg salad... unbelievably good! I bought gourmet blended vegetable Soups in cartons. I bought fat free process swiss cheese slices for my cheese cravings, and low fat cottage cheese. I bought lemon and dill humus from the deli section to add a bit of flavor to mushy veggies. I bought sillouhette fat free sugar free yogurt smoothies in the dairy section, and fat free sugar free yogurts, sugar free applesauce with peaches, I bought diet cool whip to and made yogurt/applesauce mock trifle with it with a few raspberries on top. I bought vegetable cocktail to drink, and minute maid strawberry kiwi reduced calorie juice - so tasty and super low cal. I bought diet citrus green tea flavor packets that can be added to bottled Water, and crystal lights. And more sugar free popsicles. I realize that if I bring tempting higher calorie, higher fat, higher sugar foods home, yes, I -am- going to eat them, maybe only a small serving of this, and a small serving of that. But when I log them all on fitday.com and see the total amount of fat grams, the total amount of sugar, I realize I'm 'nickle and diming' myself up and up and up on the unhealthy choices mouthfull by mouthfull. If anyone else has certain healthy food options that are really working for them, or other resources they use, would love to hear them!

Also, keep in mind that for the first weeks post surgery the focus is on healing, not on losing weight, so making sure you're getting full recommended daily protein and Vitamins and minerals is key to making sure your body has the resources it needs to repair itself. I'm doing one Optifast Protein Shake a day for Breakfast with additional added whey protein to it every morning for breakfast and taking chewable multi-vitamins with Iron.< /p>

I also use surgical soap to carefully wash my incisions every morning and then put polysporin antibiotic ointment with Vitamin E added to it afterwards. I also bought some polysporin scar solution sheets to put on when I'm healed enough, the nurse said to wait until the wounds are totally healed over, dry, no scabbing before I start applying them, which looks to be just a few more days away!

Take care of yourselves, and to those banding today and this week! good luck and congratulations!!!!

I kind of had the attitude that I've been eating so little and such low fat foods, that a little mayo or margarine mixed in here or there in my liquidy mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs can't hurt too much can it? Or a little regular sorbet or italian ices here and there instead of sugar free popsicles won't make too much of a difference will it?

That's how I have been. I also have italian ices, sugar free popsicles and a pint of Hagen Daaz peach sorbet. The sorbet I'll only use during emergencies and take a spoonful and nurse it.

My doctor warned that during the mushie phase, since there aren't many healthy options, people tend to lose only 3 lbs or even gain 3 lbs. With this warning I've been trying to be extra careful.

I know it's about recovery at this point but I'm not in the mood to gain anything right now. I want to keep on. It is expected for this phase to not be a big time for loss and that's okay. This is just what I've set for myself.

YAY EVERYBODY!!! :clap2:

I bought some tilapia for the mushie stage. it is flaky and with a little applesauce it will go down nicely. My DH cooked up some chicken breasts and shreaded them into tiny, tiny bits and added to my runny mashed potatoes and gravy for Protein. I am only drinking Liquid Protein drink in the morning. During mushies my doctor takes you off of all fruit jucies, etc that add calories. I bought some low fat cheese, low carb yogurt for lunches. I also bought some low fat ricotta cheese to make the filling, without the Pasta shells, for manicotti. Bake it in the oven with low fat spaghetti sauce and low fat moz and parmessian cheese. Yum Yum. One week of this and then on to solid food. I will only have a week of that before my first fill on July 12th. That should keep me out of trouble since we have to go on liquids for a few days after the fill. Eating food still scares me so I haven't strayed too much. I made some tapicoa yesterday with skim milk and sugar substitute. That was good.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Hi everyone, I am home! I am 4 days post op and feeling Great. My Dr has me on a complete clear liquid diet for 7 days. I'm not even hungry. I have been drinking, Water, Propel (for Vitamins etc,) broth, and now that I am home some SF Jello and SF popcicles. I finally lost 2 lbs. I think it is because I retained water after surgery. With being in the car for 8 hrs straight 2 days in a row and in hot weather (up to 112) and just what surgery can do to you, my body has just been in shock. On day 8 I can add 3, 1/2 cup servings of LF yogurt, with no chunks. Then on day 10 I add Protein Drinks, at least 30g. Then starting day 22 SOLIDS, and NO more Protein drinks ever. Of course with this I am supposed to be taking my vitamins, walking and always staying hydrated. So far this has been easy. I was also told NEVER to drink anything carbonated as this can cause the band to slip.

Was anyone afraid to take the first bite of solid food? I have absolutely no restriction when it comes to drinkink Clear Liquids so I don't know if I have much restriction at all.

Leila, thank you so much for reminding us that all those little calories add up, and that the band is a tool, not a guarantee to weight loss.

Barbara, thank you again for keeping us posted with those being banded each week! You are awesome!

Congrats to all those being banded this week! We have such an awesome support group here. Please don't leave just because you are banded...stay and share and continue to support. We all have a long journey ahead of us!

Janelle,

So glad to hear from you. Glad the experience was a positive one and you are home from that hot road trip. You will be surprised one day when you get on the scale and 10 lbs are gone. It takes a while for everything to get out of your system.

We won't have any restriction until the first fill. If you are swollen from surgery that is whats keeping you from being hungry. I had little swelling so was hungry right away. Keep on those clear liquids and give everything a chance to settle. I bought won ton Soup from the restaurant and eliminated the won tons, tortilla soup and strained it, and made potato leek soup and strained it. They were wonderful for a change.

Glad everyone is doing so well. And yes, scared to take the first bite, the first sip. I am getting over being scared some, but I have a kind regard for this band and the evil it can display if I'm not good!

Janelle-

I'm glad you are home and doing well....I was wondering where you were.

Pinkylee-

What kind of exercise are you doing?

I go to Mexico on Wed. and my surgery is Thurs. Wish me luck!

good monday afternoon to everyone!!

i hope everyone is doing well. i feel like my oldself. i have managed to lose 3 more lbs. i've been trying so hard not to eat everything in sight! but, i'm glad to say all of the weight lost is post surgery. when i had my surgery 3 weeks ago, the scale at the surgery center said i had gained 1 lb! sometimes i wonder if there is a band in there???? i can't wait for my first fill on july 10th...seems like forever.

cutiern:D

I guess I can join the wonderful June Crew. I was banded by Dr.Carter in Arlington,TX June 13th (lucky number 13 for me!). I have since lost 20lbs (according to my scale at home). I'm pretty astonished at the weight loss in just 2 weeks, but Dr.Carter did not have me on a pre-op diet, and I had a very bad first week. To elaborate, during my operation when they placed the breathing tube down my throat they cut my throat and I was throwing up blood for 3 days. Luckily Dr.Carter perscribed some ulcer medicine which allowed the cut to heal, and everything has gone great since then... first few days were pretty scary and I almost regretted having the operation done.

Oh, and if there's a mailing list setup my e-mail is Kenny.Rodriguez@gmail.com

:eek: