Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

It's odd that we all get different information from our Doctors.

Mine told me to drink liquids, v-8, Protein shakes, Water - and to do that for 4 weeks, until the first fill.

I'm not feeling hungry, but my tummy is sure making noises.

I need to ask - given the fact that we could gain 5 pounds in a good day of binge eating, why is it some of you are torturing yourselves with watching a scale now, forgetting that any other time, losing 2 lbs is so hard? I don't want to get on a scale till the fill. Matter of fact, I don't want to know, "the number" I just want my pants to fall off. The blouse that was tight to be too big. I want the physical limitations to leave me.

I'm not sure if I ever heard it's ok to eat what we used to. To act like we used to. To try and push the limits of what the band can do.

I'm one week banded tomorrow. My incisions are itchy. I still get tired.

and, I went out long before surgery to get all the liquid things I was told to have - so that I wouldn't go to a store now and think "hmm, that'll be ok to try"

Fear is the motivator. I don't want to do anything to wreck this, as I don't want to do any more time at a hospital - for me, that's the worst part of it.

No ticker tape - no fills - no idea what the weight loss is -

just breathing, healing, and taking care of me.

Every doc is definitely different, and I agree, it's best to follow your own Dr.'s recommendations, especially if they will be doing your follow up care.

Just for people curious for comparisons sake, my pre-op diet was Optifast -900 plan, it's medical prescription high Protein low carb Meal Replacement powder that you mix with Water, 3 times a day, as well as much salad and non-starchy vegetables as we wanted as long as our dressing was fat-free low carb. - That was for 2 weeks pre surgery, day before surgery no Fluid or food after midnight.

After surgery on the day of surgery Water only a minimum of 30ml every hour sipped.

1st day post-op - clear fluids, low sugar fruit juice, coffee, tea, clear broth or Soup with no veggies meat and not creamy, low fat yogurt drink, skim milk, low-cal Jello.

Remainder of the next two weeks, back on the opti-fast liquid meals (no salads now obviously!) and any other low fat, low cal, low carb fluids we want.

Week 3 post op is the pureed foods. food diced then put in blender with enough liquid added to cover the blades (fat free broth for savory foods), everything needs to be blended until smooth like applesauce, strain out any lumps, seeds or pieces. With a recommendation of getting meat and alternatives - 4 servings, low fat milk and dairy - 4 servings, veggies and fruits - 4 servings, low sugar carbs - 3 servings daily, shooting for at least 70 grams of Protein daily (I use non-thickening protien powder to supplement as needed) as well as chewable Multi-Vitamin and chewable Calcium (Dr. recommends daily Multivitamin and daily Calcium supplement from now on post band).

Week 4 is soft foods only, things like mashed potatoes, soft eggs, soft flaked fish.

Week 5 is starting solids - Recommends introducing solids only one food at a time, and has groups of solids recommended to try first, second and last.

first try - cottage cheese, soft cooked eggs, thinly sliced soft cheese, tender moist fish, canned and well cooked fruits and veggies. Next group try casseroles with no hard veggies or crunchy toppings, homeade Soups or well cooked stews, ground meats, minced chicken/turkey, crackers. Last group try toasted whole wheat breads, tender meats sliced thinly and other foods. With a note that raw veggies and raw fruit, sliced meats should be tried only after tolerating a wide variety of foods. Then there is a list of foods that people often find hard to tolerate.

It's actually way more detailed than that, with recommendations of foods to lean towards and foods to avoid - for health reasons and ease of which they work with the lap band. Also each stage has sample menu plans, as well as the lists of recommended foods to use and recommended foods to avoid, also guidelines for amounts and how often to eat, recommending 3 small meals and small Snacks in between. What to do if you get constipated, if you get ill, if you have pain, etc, etc. Pages and pages of info.

As well as those handouts (given in pre-surgery package) they also provide the "Patients Guide to living with the LAP-BAND System - Which is Inameds guidebook. It has it's pre and post surgery recommended diets, which are very close to the Dr.'s some minor differences.

In the booklet the Inamed corp day one and two post op are the same as my Dr. recommends. Then for the first one-four weeks they recommend liquids and very soft foods: clear broth or Soup with no veggies or meat and not creamy, low-fat yogurt, skim milk, Jello, fruit juice and soft pureed fruit - they say follow your surgeon's/dietitians advice. Then they say four-six weeks they say you can start with thicker Soups and transition to solid foods. They don't really go into detail, leaving the specifics up to your surgeon. The Inamed booklet doesn't go into any more detail then that.

Fills, my surgeon typically does the first fill at 6 weeks, depending on how you've been doing with the solids through week 5. Also fills for the first year are included in the cost of surgery, as well as all visits, follow ups, phone calls, etc. He is totally available - they page him directly if you want to talk to him, or you can always talk to their dietitian or one of the nurses. Fills after the first year are 100$ a fill. He's trained fill nurses all over Canada, (he's also trained a number of other surgeons), and even though he's on the East Coast, and I'm on the West, he has a nurse in my hometown that will be available to do my fills (once I'm done travelling North America on my lap band extended vacation!).

I'd love to hear all about every one elses guidelines and recommendations too, it's fascinating to see the similarities and differences behind what people are doing. ;)

XO

Leila

Ok, so I've done my candida busting, my liver cleanse and I haven't had the courage to do a gall bladder cleanse. I had my last Ice-cap and tim bit a few weeks ago. The cupboards and freezer are stocked with post op liquids. My friend Jane and I have our tickets and my bag is almost packed. I have a long day at work tomorrow then we're on our way 3:30 am Thursday morning. When I've been scared Jane has been positive and excited and vice versa, so we're balancing each other out. Right now we're both pretty excited.

I forgot to add that I've also had a pedicure!

Thank you Darrin..... after reading through this board and hearing the different stories I see that you are absolutely right. I dont like that I cant eat creamed Soup yet but the weight loss (17 lb today 1 week banded) is a wonderful inspiration to stick to the clear's........ just cant wait for day 22.

Wasn't the Ortiz staff wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello june banders,

I am feeling awesome. I cannot believe how much better I feel. Mentally I am sharper, physically I have more energy, and my mood is great. I am so grateful to have had the lap band done. I have hope for the first time in years. I have lost 15 pounds since June 14th surgery. What a miracle.

Good luck to all the banders having surgery this week.

Susan

Well, it's the night before my surgery and I can't believe the day is finally here. I can't sleep...all I can do is pee all the Water I drank earlier. Which got me thinking...do they need a urine sample? I have had trouble in the past peeing on cue. If any one else is up this late, let me know.=)

Day 15 and I feel great. My incisions are pretty much healed and most of the bruising is gone. I still get a little hitch on my right side, but its OK. My real complaint is after I eat I get the pain in my left shoulder. It is more intense after dinner, maybe because I eat more then. It was the worse last night. I wonder how long this lasts. Surely the gas from surgery is out by now.

I start solids this weekend. I'm a little nervous about that. I'll take it slow and easy as I don't want any problems.

Glad to hear everyone is doing fine. I enjoyed the lists that were posted. Indeed every doctor is different, but I do believe that slowing easing into this is the best way. The lengths differ, but it seems to be the best.

Welcome to the newly banded.

Day 15 and I feel great. My incisions are pretty much healed and most of the bruising is gone. I still get a little hitch on my right side, but its OK. My real complaint is after I eat I get the pain in my left shoulder. It is more intense after dinner, maybe because I eat more then. It was the worse last night. I wonder how long this lasts. Surely the gas from surgery is out by now.

I start solids this weekend. I'm a little nervous about that. I'll take it slow and easy as I don't want any problems.

Glad to hear everyone is doing fine. I enjoyed the lists that were posted. Indeed every doctor is different, but I do believe that slowing easing into this is the best way. The lengths differ, but it seems to be the best.

Welcome to the newly banded.

Barbara,

I'm also 15 days out and still get the pain in my left shoulder, it hasn't been too bad or extremely uncomfortable for me, but it is definately noticeable. Have you tried taking Gas X? I usually take one after meals and it helps. Good luck with your solids, just take it slow and you should be fine. :)

Hi everyone:

I'm a Junbie too - banded June 8 but Dr. Spivak in Houston. Wow - the doctors' sure to give out different advice about what to eat when. So far, everything has gone down well for me. I ate fish the other night - I was really scared, but it went down fine.

I'm really worried about getting fill - I am so scared of PBing!!! I am thinking of waiting until after my vacation in August 1st to get my first fill. What do yall think? I will be going to a foreign country and I'm worried that I will be so restricted that I will have a very hard time finding anything that I can eat.

I'm glad to be a Junbie. Good luck everyone!

Today is Housecatgirl's surgery! Best of luck! I'm thinking of you and praying for you and looking forward to your update. I am scheduled for tomorrow!

On a side note, there was a link to an article about a half ton man in Monterrey, Mexico on here and I can't find it. I just read he lost 200 lbs. on The Zone. I'm not sure if he decided not to band or if they want him to lose pre-band? Moderators?

Good luck today housecatgirl. May it all go smoothly. And you, socialgal and all the rest of tomorrow's banders (including me and my friend Jane). May all go well. We're in TJ with a different Dr. than you socialgal and probably a different hotel, too so I doubt we'll cross paths.

I finally made it to the other side with yall last week...Its been a very exciting trip...I do have 1 main question, what is this "sliming" that I keep seeing people talk about?

Hi Junebees,

I feel terrific...I was banded 2 weeks ago.. I have lost 15 pounds. I had a lot of anxiety a week before the surgery...I felt miserable for about 2 - 3 days and then felt better and better. I return to work tomorrow and I will have to wear a bra all day and that is going to be uncomfortable.. Any suggestions...

Thanks

Susan.

PS I cannot figure out how to get the ticker on my replies.

Hello all,

Kenny: I will try the GasX after meal. I just used it once when it was very obvious I had gas. I haven't tried it as a preventive to the shoulder pain, but will give it a try.

Suchadiva I would probably go ahead and get a fill. That will be a long time to be without a fill. Of course, if you're not hungy it might not be a big deal, but I am. For me it would be a really big deal. Ask them to go slow on your fill and that you are flying. If you can get it a week or two before you leave it would give you a chance to see how it is before you left. Some people experience tightning when flying and some don't.

socialgal3 - he is using the zone diet and has lost 200 lbs. He wants to lose 700+ more. He is not going to have the surgery unless he can't lose by dieting. That was what the article here said.

Avilla - sliming is what happens when something gets stuck. You can't get anything down and liquids, your saliva, comes up. This is what they also call a PB, but without the burp. Some have to get the food unstuck to stop the sliming. I have heard that you can raise your arms and hold your breathe or exhale really long to get all breathe out in hopes it will dislodge what is stuck. Some have taken meat tenderizer and a teaspoon of Water to help disolve what is stuck. Best advice: don't get stuck. :)

Hope all that are getting banded today are doing well. Let us know. Enjoy Mexico for those of you down there.