Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Pretty Down

Hello Everyone - Well, I'm a few days from my 6 month anniversary and feeling pretty negative about all things band! Sitting here post pb from trying to eat a big Breakfast with toast. Hey, the last two days anything has gone down in big quantitites - it's pre-period and it's like no band but this am -all is back to normal - whatever that is. Yes, I've lost almost 10 lbs since my fill in January but not a pound more and I can't imagine being tighter. I have realized why I'm fat and what all my bad habits are but i can't change them - even with the band- I am hopeless, really and it's sad because a lot of other bandsters look at me semi disgusted because I'm lower BMI and 'only' have to lose 50lbs but believe me, I'm a #$$% up as the next obese person - in fact, i feel worse - and I truly thought I could do this but today i don't think so. In fact, I'm feeling like it won't work for me. Thanks for listening.

I understand how you feel. I was banded in jan. with 100 lbs to loose. I have struggled the last 6 mo. and have only lost 12 lbs. I keep sabotaging myself, not on purpose but, I do. So lately I hae been trying to evaluate myself and trying to work on things I need to change, and I am just going to start with 1 thing a week. Work on that and then pick a new thing next week. So the new thing for this week is to not drink with my meals.( I know I know bad bandster)!But anways back to the point. I understand why you feel frustrated esp if you have been doing the right things. The band is and will always be a learning process. I hope this helps!:squareeye

The best thing about the band though is that whilst you may struggle to get on top of destructive habits at times and you stop losing, its really hard to gain significant weight. A bit of a breather doesnt matter, you can always get back on that bike.

It doesnt fix your head and we all need to work on that.

If you can still eat large meals then you need more restriction. I am very limited to what I can eat and I am glad for that because I know I can't say no to some foods. I have taken a good look at myself though because I was still eating ice cream and chocolate and all the things I shouldn't be and then wondering why my weight loss was so slow. Until you can do that things will be slow for you. I don't eat those things anymore by the way LOL

On the other hand though, the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it becomes to lose weight quickly so don't be too hard on yourself. I have been banded since April 2005 and have lost only 66 pounds. While I don't think it's a lot, I am still greatful for that loss and am glad I haven't put any back on. I still get very down and frustrated when I don't lose any weight but I try and put things into perspective.

Keep your chin up! You will get there! Maybe talk to a nutritionist and get some advice on your eating habits. But please don't be down on yourself, you are doing great and should be proud of your achievements so far.

Excuse me, but who's looking at you with discust? Shame on them! We all have our own issues.

Yeah, toast. warm buttered toast with jam. MMMMM. I can't do toast, at least I don't think I can. And of course, "big breakfast" is such a subjective thing. One egg, a couple pieces of baccon and a slice of toast could be considered a "big breakfast" :)

If you still haven't lost much weight at 6 months out then it's time to start screaming at your PCP about this. It is not normal or resonable to eat a low calorie diet and not lose wieght. There are some heavy emotional issues that go along with where you are.

Time to make that appointment and talk about what could be the issue. Do NOT let them push back and tell you that you need to work harder.

Be kind to yourself.

Thanks to all for thoughts - encouragement - smiles. I ate three pieces of toast with butter and SUGAR last night and candy - typical pre period cravings out of control. Believe it or not the band did help as this could have been worse but definitely know i need a fill - can eat a LOT more now and sad, but true, if I can, I will.

Please don't regret that you got the band.Go read Big Pauls post if you have'nt already done so. It will help you. Good luck and don't give up.:)

Thanks and you are right, I am not blaming the band - I blame me 100% although I'm still unsure i'm filled right. Big Paul is right - I read and printed out his post. While i knew the band wasn't a miracle i thought it would have a little magic - lol. Eating for hunger was always the last reason i would eat so while the band slows me down it hasn't ever really filled me up like i hoped. i still obsess about food all day but now i also obsess about pbing and making it through a meal without pain or discomfort. I still battle head hunger and mindless eating which the band never claimed to help with.

While i knew the band wasn't a miracle i thought it would have a little magic - lol.

Haha... I thought I was special and it would have some magic for me, as well. Reality sucks... :D

Honestly, you just need to do something different. Get the fill, even a small one will help. Perhaps start exercising if you are doing so now. Anything different. Take a look at the spring bootcamp. That has been motivating to me...

Hugs to you!!!

You are so right and thanks for taking time to answer! I see you are a Dr. Ortiz patient too - just love him and his staff. Yes, I am researching a fill and starting back on fiday.com. My weight is dropping 1lb a day of the 5 i gained during pre menstrual chaos and 3 to go to get back where i was.

I hope to get a fill by mid june, start exercising again (just been doing very minimal walking) and get some poundage off.

You have been offered some great suggestions in the other replies. Maybe need a fill? Take a really hard look at what and how you are eating. Sabotaging is easy. Review how to eat the "bandster way." No liquids with meals. etc., etc.

Be kind to yourself, but be realistic.

Excellent, Mary... I love Dr Ortiz, as well. And I LOVE Dr Martinez!

I remember back when I needed my 2nd fill. I KNEW I needed it, but I wasn't ready to make the commitment to have the tight restriction right away. It took a month or two to finally be ready. Once I was ready, watch out!!!

Mary, I went off of the program for 2 years because of personal problems that were not related to the band. It was the most difficult time in my life. I finally got it together and got back on the "band"wagon... In the 2 years, I regained 55 pound (I had lost 80 after being banded)... That seems like a lot, but I would have gained a ton more if I didn't have the band... Well, in a little more than 2 months, I have lost 46 of the 55 pounds. The point is, once you get your focus back on this (like getting the fill, etc) then you will be back on your way. But you have to be ready. And it sounds like you are just about there. Great job about losing the pre-AF pounds... I can totally relate!!

You may get that little bit of magic when you get a fill that gets you to your sweet spot.

Good luck to you and keep your head up, it will work!

i still obsess about food all day but now i also obsess about pbing and making it through a meal without pain or discomfort.

I know this may sound contrary to what you'd think would be logical, but I think you need to go get a slight unfill. Being so tight that you are constantly struggilng to eat good solid foods can lead to eating liquid calories and softer foods that are easier to get through the band. If you were able to eat fish and chicken, good solid Protein, you would actually have the full feeling that helps fight that head hunger. My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Get enough of an unfil so you can live without PBs.

2. Make yourself go outside and walk a little bit each day. I don't know your circumstances or your physical abilities, but even if you can't walk far... walk as much as you can without pain. Getting your blood pumping and that fresh air in your lungs will help with the "depression" you're feeling.

3. Get rid of all foods in your house that are high in carbs, sugars, or flour. Sure, you can always just go out and get that stuff if you are that determined, but it does help when it's not at your fingertips, calling out to you from the kitchen.

4. Start your day with protein. Do you like cottage cheese? I have found that if I start my day with carbs, such as oatmeal or Fiber One Cereal (although both are good for you) I will be eating like a fool all day. But, when I have 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of canned peaches (light syrup) the rest of my day seems to be easily controlled.

5. Be aware of the foods that typically cause bandsters problems and avoid them. I was a dough freak before banding. My biggest fear was giving up my breads and pastas. I haven't had one bite of either since banding. I refuse to even try. I'm happy to believe that they will cause me pain. It's a enforced eating modification that I welcome. I had all the bread and Pasta I wanted for the first 49 years of my life. I'm ready to give that up to have something I've never had - good health and a nice figure!

It is very hard to get out of slumps, but very worth it when you can do the "simple" things that make such huge differences in your mental and physical states.