Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not loosing weight

I was banded on August 12. I only lost 8 lbs. I don't have any restrictions. I am scheduled for a fill on September 16. Is this normal? I keep reading that pple are losing so much weight and I feel discourage d. Any advice?

Very normal, and 8lbs is pretty great in my opinion...that's about 2lbs/week, which is right on track! Just follow the band rules, make good food choices, and the weight will keep coming off!

It's only been a month, your band has not had any adjustments yet, nothing has changed from where you were before surrgery other than you have this thing implanted in you, but it is not yet been "Turned on" or "Activated"

All you're doing now is dieting, something anyone could do without weight loss surgery.....The secet is to get thee band working, and most importantly LET THE BAND WOIRK...you'd be surprised how many people do not let the band do it's thing and back down from change to only become a 50% statistic....

People really need to sit back and think about what the band is actually designed to do and how it does it....

I know I was anxious in the beginning also....you can imagine my disposition when I continued to GAIN weight....

But at 4 months I hit the green Zone, and at 12-13 months I was at my goal...I also continued to loose untill my body determined it was whee it shoud be at Fat% and weight.....

Very normal. Now is the time you need to practice good band eating habits to get ready for when you do have restriction, which might take several fills actually.

I was banded on August 12. I only lost 8 lbs. I don't have any restrictions. I am scheduled for a fill on September 16. Is this normal? I keep reading that pple are losing so much weight and I feel discourage d. Any advice?

This is the most asked question from newbies and should be a sticker, did you research the band before you got it? If you did so, you would know that the band does not work until you start the fill process.

Only a few have restriction out of surgery.

It can take up to 3-7 fills before you reach a level where the band is helping you, the first 6 weeks is for healing and allowing your band and port to heal.

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The above is so true... re-read your information

I also am not losing weight following my surgery on August 22nd. The first week while recovering I lost 8 pounds and since have gained a pound or so of that back. I have not restriction and am hoping my fill next week will help me to start feeling full. I am really struggling with not eating larger portions and keeping them to 1 to 1-1/2 cups. I do not feel satisfied and my stomach is grumbling :) Although we are all told that there might not be restriction after the swelling goes down, it is darn near impossible to not get your hopes up after going through with the surgery. I too have ready about people losing 20 to 30 pounds before their first fill and am somewhat frustrated. I am so ready for my first fill and feeling that full filling sooner again :)

The fact is you don't wake up from surgery and the band has changed everything about you. The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you expend. In the first few weeks post surgery, your body has been traumatised, you have 'shocked' your body with a liquid diet and you're recovering. Given all these factors, why would anyone expect to be losing huge amounts of weight in this time??

The liquid diet, imo, sets people up with unrealistic expectations. They lose big numbers on the liquid diet by virtually starving their body in order to reduce the fattiness of the liver, and then wonder why they aren't losing big numbers after their band is placed. Except the liquid diet serves a medical purpose, not a vanity purpose. No one can lose weight in a healthy way by only drinking VLCD liquids. It's a short term thing only.

Once banded, you go through a period of healing from the abdominal surgery you just had. Healing is what is important. However, if you want to lose weight in this time, by all means exercise, burn off more calories than you consume. It's simple math. Eat less calories and exercise to lose. But the band will not likely even be working yet at this point.

Once you start getting fills and feel the band working, controlling your hunger will be easier, but it still won't control the amount or type of food you choose to put in your mouth. Most banders could be too tight and still gain weight by eating ice cream (and I see them on this board often).

So there you have it. Understand your band, understand the process, and be realistic. Otherwise you're going to quickly get disillusioned by the band when in fact it can be really effective for most people.

The fact is you don't wake up from surgery and the band has changed everything about you. The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you expend. In the first few weeks post surgery, your body has been traumatised, you have 'shocked' your body with a liquid diet and you're recovering. Given all these factors, why would anyone expect to be losing huge amounts of weight in this time??

The liquid diet, imo, sets people up with unrealistic expectations. They lose big numbers on the liquid diet by virtually starving their body in order to reduce the fattiness of the liver, and then wonder why they aren't losing big numbers after their band is placed. Except the liquid diet serves a medical purpose, not a vanity purpose. No one can lose weight in a healthy way by only drinking VLCD liquids. It's a short term thing only.

Once banded, you go through a period of healing from the abdominal surgery you just had. Healing is what is important. However, if you want to lose weight in this time, by all means exercise, burn off more calories than you consume. It's simple math. Eat less calories and exercise to lose. But the band will not likely even be working yet at this point.

Once you start getting fills and feel the band working, controlling your hunger will be easier, but it still won't control the amount or type of food you choose to put in your mouth. Most banders could be too tight and still gain weight by eating ice cream (and I see them on this board often).

So there you have it. Understand your band, understand the process, and be realistic. Otherwise you're going to quickly get disillusioned by the band when in fact it can be really effective for most people.

Well said!

So, let me get this straight. In 4 weeks you've lost 8 lbs. That works out to 2 lbs/week. Since average weight loss with the band is 1-2 lbs a week (and that's an AVERAGE, remember, including people who lost a lot faster and some who lost nothing), you're actually doing very well. And you haven't even had a fill yet.

Speaking of fills...I have to remind you that getting a fill won't turn your band's weight loss mechanism on like you turn a faucet on. It will just begin to help you with appetite and hunger, making your job easier in the long run.

So, hang in there. You're doing fine.

Oh, and one more thing. You do yourself no favors by comparing yourself to others. The person who lost 16 instead of 8 lbs in the first 4 weeks may very well be a lot heavier than you are, or have greater muscle mass, or be a man (men lose faster), or have a dozen other idiosyncrasies to make that person different from you. So, try to look at the successful people here for inspiration, not as a way to make yourself feel bad.

This is the most asked question from newbies and should be a sticker, did you research the band before you got it? If you did so, you would know that the band does not work until you start the fill process.

Only a few have restriction out of surgery.

It can take up to 3-7 fills before you reach a level where the band is helping you, the first 6 weeks is for healing and allowing your band and port to heal.

Nana, you and I have had our differences in the past. I was thinking along the same lines as you, but I couldn't say it any better than you did. You go, girl!

Hey guys quess what! I was pregnant! Lol I just had my baby three monts ago. I m back to squre one exept now I m exhausted and not into my lap band. I have three small kids under 28 months ...set of twins. I dont have time to use my band...I d k how....I fell lost . Any advice now?

Go back to your doctor and get advice from your surgeon and nutritionist. There's no substitute for professional one on one consultation.

Had my band Aug. 20th lost 5 lbs on pre op diet, lost 15 lb the next 3 weeks Sept 10th had my first fill. I was told I all ready had 4.5 cc and they added 1 cc. Still get very hungry...but thats ok. I am still eating less then 1000 cals. aday. I stopped loosing weight a week before my first fill. I have not lost weight for 3 weeks now. I am walking on my tread mill 5 days a week for 30 min. and am active on the weekends. but nothing....what am I doing wrong.

Edited by WendynAubrey Edwards